TheDoctorKing

43-27 Antony, Octavian,Sextus Pompeius, Brutus, Cassius Scenario?

Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:03 am

I would think this war would be the centerpiece of the game. Any plans to make this scenario? I see three playable sides, Antony, Octavian, and the Senate, with the possibility of shifting alliances. The Egyptians, Parthians, and Germans might play roles as well. Should be exciting!
Stewart King

"There is no substitute for victory"

Depends on how you define victory.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MarsRobert

Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:51 am

I agree with you completely man. Not having an Antony-Cleo versus Octavian scenario did seem like a glaring omission. After all, this was the conflict that founded the Roman Empire. In fact one of the great what-if's of history is how the empire would have turned out had Antony and Cleo won? The Empire probably would have had a pronounced Middle Eastern tinge to it.

To be fair to AGEOD though, if they were trying to decide on what to include in the original game; Antony-Cleo vs. Octavian or Caesar vs. Pompey, the latter was a good choice as that scenario is wonderfully epic and classic. In any event Caesar was Rome's favorite son, and they had to include him in the first game.

BTW, an old friend of mine once said that Antony was a great early example of a good man brought down by a bad woman. ;)

Have you seen HBO's Rome miniseries? OMG! James Purefoy and Lyndsey Marshall were over the top as Antony and Cleo. We've come a long way since Sir Richard Burton and Liz Taylor. :mdr:
"Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato

Leibst

Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:10 am

i agree TheDoctorKing, an scenary full of posibilities and fun. If the demand of new scenaries grow i suposse that we could see it developed. :coeurs:
Headquarter game designer of Battles For Spain, Ageod English Civil War, España:1936 and Thirty Years War
HQ website

dpt24
Sergeant

Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:25 pm

I really want to see this era but the issue is that the sides were pretty fluid and switched rapidly. Anthony and Octavian were back and forth between each other and before Phillipi, Brutus and Octavian had for a short time been together against Anthony. Pompey was at times sort of brought into the fold of one side or another. Plus there's the Lepidus to add into the fun. So I don't know if it would be possible to do one campaign. In the end it might be best to do Anthony and Octavian Vs. Brutus and Cassias, Sextus Vs. Octavian, Anthony Vs Parthia, and Anthony Vs. Octavian each as a separate campaign. If AGEOD want's smaller scenarios like in WIA, then Anthony Vs Octavian pre Phillipi would be good. Plus I'd enjoy an alternate history with Anthony, Cleopatra, and Sextus Pompey Vs. Octavian and Agrippa. Speaking of Agrippa, he needs to have Setorius and Caesar level stats and the ability to command both land and sea forces. Sextus should probably have both as well. Tom Holland's Rubicon and Adrian Goldworthy's Anthony and Cleopatra are two books worth reading to see just how complex this era is

TheDoctorKing

Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:21 pm

Yes, the politics are hellishly complex. However, RUS managed to make sense of a complex, multi-sided struggle. Makhno and the Anarchists can be allies or enemies of the Reds. The Germans can invade or not (maybe become Red themselves? I'm playing the DNO scenario right now and hoping to provoke a Red revolution in Germany). Factions can change sides.

One thing about the HBO Rome series that was very disappointing was the short shrift they gave to this period.

The length of the wars do make it reasonable to have several scenarios. I wonder if you could have a meta-scenario, where your position in the 44 BC scenario depends on how the 50 BC scenario ended, and the Antony v Octavian scenario takes up where the Antony-Octavian v Brutus one left off, and so on.
Stewart King

"There is no substitute for victory"

Depends on how you define victory.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “Alea Jacta Est”