yellow ribbon

Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:46 pm

[color="#FFFF00"] TO TURN AROUND AND HEAD BACK TO THE NEAREST SAFE SPOT/HARBOR THE MINUTE THEY SEE THREATENING CLOUDS IN THE HORIZON.[/color]

please look very close to the maps, there are only two kinds of harbors:

ALWAYS A STORM IN FRONT, OR NEVER

such an option is the same than NEVER leaving the harbor or risking a storm. a lot of code to be implemented as optional maneuver ending in the very same effect than having now.
how would it look like, traveling three seazones south of italy, meeting the Sicily-African stormfield and travelling back to Italy, just for the harbor in Africa is four areas away?

i cant imagine that satisfyingly working for anyone... and in other areas its a question of even ONE province. one province without storm to the harbor or one to the harbor on the far side of the storm. again, using such an option leads to leaving the harbor and traveling just back. for what in gods name?

look at the maps, four weeks after going public i figure its fair to show you "forced by" storms and giving you an oversight.
...not paid by AGEOD.
however, prone to throw them into disarray.

PS:

‘Everything is very simple in War, but the simplest thing is difficult. These difficulties accumulate and produce a friction which no man can imagine exactly who has not seen War . . . in War, through the influence of an infinity of petty circumstances, which cannot properly be described on paper, things disappoint us, and we fall short of the mark.‘

Clausewitz

yellow ribbon

Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:50 pm

Attachments
east-south-east.png
eastern islands.png
Greek coast.png
Sicily-Africa.png
Sicily.png
...not paid by AGEOD.

PS:

‘Everything is very simple in War, but the simplest thing is difficult. These difficulties accumulate and produce a friction which no man can imagine exactly who has not seen War . . . in War, through the influence of an infinity of petty circumstances, which cannot properly be described on paper, things disappoint us, and we fall short of the mark.‘

Clausewitz

yellow ribbon

Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:52 pm

part 2
Attachments
western isles - northwestern coast.png
south of Spain.png
black sea.png
...not paid by AGEOD.

PS:

Clausewitz

caranorn

Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:56 am

yellow ribbon wrote:no its not!

everyone can do it, on cost of more traveling time if NOT using automatic pathfinding. thats the way its designed, with at least one loophole they left us in each direction.
you find the stormfields added in screenshots. it appears to you as you describe it, but you are simply wrong if being more careful.

even in the deepest winter you can bring troops on the other side of typical stormfields without any loss and from save harbors starting any invasion you want !!!

How does the ai handle this? While in theory a player could circumnavigate the storm areas (which doesn't look realisitc to me) I fear the ai will be using the regular pathing routine. In any case, if the idea is to circumnavigate storms then the pathing routine should be adapted to that, that is always try to trace a storm free path...

I'm not sure I'm happy with those fixed storm fields. Storms per se make sense, but why certain areas never have them and others very regularly makes no sense to me...

And I agree with others, the best solution would probably be for fleets (particularly commanded ones and even more well commanded ones (strat raiting and attributes)) to turn around and seek shelter in the nearest harbour instead of pushing through a storm blindly (which these ships could not have done anyhow)...
Marc aka Caran...

pantsukki
Brigadier General

Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:52 am

yellow ribbon wrote:
please look very close to the maps, there are only two kinds of harbors:

ALWAYS A STORM IN FRONT, OR NEVER

Unless things were changed with the beta patch, that's just not true. I've had multiple occasions when the route has seemed completely clear of storms, and I've given the fleet a movement order. Then when the next turn begins, I see new storms in the route the fleet took, and they have been damaged badly or completely destroyed. The storms have appeared both in regular sea areas and in front of harbours.

yellow ribbon

Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:48 am

pantsukki wrote:Unless things were changed with the beta patch, that's just not true. I've had multiple occasions when the route has seemed completely clear of storms, and I've given the fleet a movement order. Then when the next turn begins, I see new storms in the route the fleet took, and they have been damaged badly or completely destroyed. The storms have appeared both in regular sea areas and in front of harbours.

you are stretching it...

as described here and in another thread

a.) WHAT YOU SEE ON THE MAP IS THE STORM OF THE LAST TURN

b.) yes, WHILE turn processing you get new storms

on the screenshots all major stormfields are depicted,[color="#FFFF00"] based on the public beta patch![/color] (hours before all you claims)

I say it again, i had the same shocking experience than all of you, we have discussed this topic quite a much during testing. But the fact is, that you have many stripes of sea, where NO storm at all will happen.

an educated guess:

- you are not supposed to combine northern and southern fleets (Spain and French stormfileds)

- same for east and west fleets (African-Sicilian field)

- you are not supposed to make invasions in the backyard of Asia minor (then all the possible events dont make sense anylonger)

- you are not supposed to dislocate troops via fleets from Spain to Asia minor within less than 2 months

i will take for sure the liberty to check it after posting, but i fear it remains,[color="#FFFF00"] if NOT using automated pathfinding, you would not end up in any storm[/color]
...not paid by AGEOD.

PS:

Clausewitz

yellow ribbon

Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:50 am

caranorn, cant tell you what i think about it... only that it was truly discussed in length and what i guessed above.
...not paid by AGEOD.

PS:

Clausewitz

yellow ribbon

Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:25 am

ok, as expected no major change visible.

i take a fleet from Neapolis to Alexandria and dont hit ANY storm field with automatic pathfinding.

I use the fleet Brundisium-Alexandria, storm in front of the harbor and both next to Achaia peninsula of Greece

i use a manual course to invade Halicarnassum and with a stop in Crete i have to go through exactly ONE stormfield with a probability (35% i believe) to get hit, impact depending on the season, and this is at Gortyn/Crete

takes me two months, so calculate a third to recover cohesion in Crete,

while automated pathfinding to Athen would take EIGHT days fewer travel (different fleet), and bring me through THREE areas with storms, thus taking also three turns at least and loosing many men unless i land the men north of the storm, bring them and the fleet on different paths to Athens and load them again...

and please dont get my pictures wrong. the storms are fixed to precisely defined regions:

-the probability if the storm happens is high but only for limited overall areas
-the probability if you are caught in a region with storm is roughly 1/3
-the damage depends on the season again

so you have dozens and dozens of possible outcomes even on a short travel, but nearly everything can be manipulated by your own decisions as a player.
you dont have to travel straight into them, nor to do so with men, nor to travel multiple storm areas on row.

yet you might claim to many storms in between. then look out, 90% of Italys coastline is free, maybe over 90% of Africas shore is free of storms etc etc etc
...not paid by AGEOD.

PS:

Clausewitz

Spharv2

Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:11 pm

Hey Yellow Ribbon, can you do those of us who chose the silver, blue, and white forum look a break and pick another font color aside from yellow for emphasis? That's impossible to read on a white background without highlighting.
Official Queen's Ambassador to the South
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

yellow ribbon

Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:14 pm

Spharv2 wrote:Hey Yellow Ribbon, can you do those of us who chose the silver, blue, and white forum look a break and pick another font color aside from yellow for emphasis? That's impossible to read on a white background without highlighting.

i will do my best, but green and blue are ruled out for black-background and if i write all in red/bolt the devs think i am a ticking bomb :wacko:

Edit:

nay, its a naval thread, thus more like greek fire...

[color="#FF0000"] Oratio sicut flamma materia alitur et motibus excitatur [/color]
...not paid by AGEOD.

PS:

Clausewitz

Spharv2

Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:10 pm

yellow ribbon wrote:i will do my best, but green and blue are ruled out for black-background and if i write all in red/bolt the devs think i am a ticking bomb :wacko:

You mean you aren't? :mdr:
Official Queen's Ambassador to the South

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “Alea Jacta Est”