sorta
Captain

Trotsky Retreat (or lack of)

Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:28 am

The RED PMEM player has not been able to retreat Trotsky's army for 3 turns even though he lost each turn's battle. I remember some comment about Trotsky's movement somewhere but can't find it.

Is this a known issue?

Cordell
Sergeant

Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:35 am

Do you play with vanilla?
There Trotsky as a rail movement so its quite easy to cut his retreat...
In the last Fatal Year Trotsky can now leave the rail, and is then more easy to use...

Captain
Captain

Trotsky bug

Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:24 am

Yea I was the poor bloody victim.
Ok Sorta and I are playing FY (thank god the offical game is so ahistorical you might as well name it after a Segio Leoneo spagetti western).
Anyway kudos to Clovis FY is the game RUS should have been.

Having said that Trotsky has just lost is 25000 main army to wrangel at Tambov over 3 turns.
first two tuns Trotsky was blue/green with two rail exists red controlled. getting sick of not retreating I chose green/green still Trotsky got slaughtered.
Now despite my picks every three major battles the program showed me trotsky retreated to a different area but when turn resolution was finished Trotsky was still in Tambov.
I suppose this is possible but highly improbable, it appears to be a Trotsky bug.
A real bugger as we were having a three player very balanced and contested game.
Any help anyone?

NY Rangers
Major

Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:01 pm

Captain wrote:Any help anyone?

Look here: http://moddercorner.com/2011/12/07/to-captain/

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:46 pm

Captain wrote: the offical game is so ahistorical you might as well name it after a Segio Leoneo spagetti western

What do you mean? For Trotsky is a super-hero in RUS?

sorta
Captain

Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:05 pm

Thanks - appears that the 1.5 version of FY will solve.

Its great to see the modding community being so active as un-modded RUS wasn't any fun for me playing S. Swites as it was far too easy - just moving large stacks around to defeat Reds (and I know my Red PBEM opponent is competent from playing ACW with him).

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:28 am

sorta wrote:appears that the 1.5 version of FY will solve.

Its great to see the modding community being so active as un-modded RUS wasn't any fun for me playing S. Swites as it was far too easy

You seem being very right.
But that's a pity some in the community can't work with others (devs or not), and easily treat others (including me) of **censored** when contradicted.
All other modders seem not having problems working with official devs.
Personnal problems make RUS divided.

Captain
Captain

Kudos to FY

Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:24 am

To put this in the most basic terms possible.
FY should be the official game!
The official game bares little semblence to historical fact.
If it wasn't for FY my copy of RUS would already be in the bin which is a great tragedy as it has the potential to be a great game, one of Aegod's best.

Now I am an historian AND consumer not a designer. So the reasons for RUS not coming up to scratch don't really interest me. Suffice to say let's be constructive and fix it with constructive criticism which needs to be taken on board.
Surely aegod can't afford another disaster like the WWI game (again a shame as a great topic).
It appears it is not so difficult to fix RUS, Clovis has done a bloody good attempt. So how about embracing him into the fold and acknowledging the good work he has done and build on it together?
It would sure make us consumers (who buy the products) very happy!

Pat "Stonewall" Cleburne
General of the Army

Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:45 am

Captain wrote:To put this in the most basic terms possible.
The official game bares little semblence to historical fact.
If it wasn't for FY my copy of RUS would already be in the bin which is a great tragedy as it has the potential to be a great game, one of Aegod's best.

Now I am an historian AND consumer not a designer. So the reasons for RUS not coming up to scratch don't really interest me. Suffice to say let's be constructive and fix it with constructive criticism which needs to be taken on board.
Surely aegod can't afford another disaster like the WWI game (again a shame as a great topic).
It appears it is not so difficult to fix RUS, Clovis has done a bloody good attempt. So how about embracing him into the fold and acknowledging the good work he has done and build on it together?
It would sure make us consumers (who buy the products) very happy!

I think those bridges were burned unfortunately. Why does it matter what the official version is? You can play either one.

As a gamer and a very amateur historian, I think there is a place for both. Now if this game keeps getting a low level of support and Clovis maintains his dedication to his mod, then maybe that would change down the road.

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:38 am

Captain wrote:The official game bares little semblence to historical fact.

What facts? About history I have far more confidence in vanilia RUS, even I may prefer some treatment of FY.

my copy of RUS would already be in the bin

Beware about your personnal mail, I've been insulted for less by the modder.

RUS has the potential to be a great game, one of Aegod's best.
let's be constructive and fix it with constructive criticism which needs to be taken on board.

to fix RUS, Clovis has done a bloody good attempt. So how about embracing him into the fold and acknowledging the good work he has done and build on it together?

That's the two problems: There can't be criticism (if you don't want to be insulted), nor work together (for a good team use criticism and respect).

Captain
Captain

Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:47 am

ERISS wrote:What facts? About history I have far more confidence in vanilia RUS, even I may prefer some treatment of FY.
I have neither the time nor inclination to get into thumb tacks and pin counting. Healthy historical debate is welcome in historical academia, however that must always be tempered with historical fact and actually what happened. What may have happened or what could have happened whilst tantalising fantasies must always be checked by the real historical footprint.

In the most simplistic example if even the designers of RUS have great difficulty in getting the Reds to win then you don't have to be Robert Conquest to work out the game is fundamentally flawed. Surely the alarm bells must have been ringing with the play testers?

Beware about your personnal mail, I've been insulted for less by the modder.
Personal mail??? I haven't metioned anyone have I? In fact I have no interest in mentioning any personalities (except Clovis with a bucket of gratitude for saving a great game). Indeed I have always considered Aegod as the premier game company (at the moment). The WWI game was a flop but there offer to reimburse consumers was certainly a feather in the cap of integrity.
Any criticsm I write is purely to improve the game, after all I am a consumer and want a decent game to play (and that is essentially all). Personal point scoring I leave to others with more time on thier hands. I have no interest in the background politics of RUS, I simply would like an historical simulation to play.

That's the two problems: There can't be criticism (if you don't want to be insulted), nor work together (for a good team use criticism and respect).
Insult away. Socrates copped his fair share as well ;-) Bottom line is if criticsm isn't accepted and worked upon, gamers will vote with their wallets.
And as I said at the start that would be a tragedy as Aegod and RUS deserve better.
Captain

NY Rangers
Major

Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:13 pm

Captain wrote:To put this in the most basic terms possible.

Hear, hear!

Captain
Captain

To NY Ranger

Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:49 am

NY Rangers wrote:Hear, hear!

I almost forgot thanks for your reference to FY. Prviously I thought it was just a Mod (which usually I don't go in for). I did not realize it was quizessential to playing the game. Thanks for enlightening me. I have spread the word and 'all' of my gaming associates have jumped the ship. Now we have an historical playable game :thumbsup: Of course its not perfect and there is always room for improvement as there always is in these things but at least we can get a likely historical outcome.

NY Rangers
Major

Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:24 am

Captain wrote:I almost forgot thanks for your reference to FY. Prviously I thought it was just a Mod (which usually I don't go in for). I did not realize it was quizessential to playing the game. Thanks for enlightening me. I have spread the word and 'all' of my gaming associates have jumped the ship. Now we have an historical playable game :thumbsup: Of course its not perfect and there is always room for improvement as there always is in these things but at least we can get a likely historical outcome.

Glad to have been of help!

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:28 pm

Captain wrote:the designers of RUS have great difficulty in getting the Reds to win

Yes that's a game balance problem, not historical issues.
That's a problem of numbers, not purely of historical facts.

Return to “Revolution Under Siege”