Heldenkaiser
AGEod Grognard

Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:41 pm

saintsup wrote:Always thought it was a reference to 'the empire where the sun never sets'

That, in turn, is originally a reference to the Austro-Spanish empire of Charles V. With possessions spanning the globe, the sun indeed never set in this one.

Apparantely the quote was transformed by a witty writer in the last years of WW1 to apply to Charles' last and final successor, also named Charles, emperor of Austria 1916-18. According to him Charles ruled an empire over which the sun never rose ... :king:
[color="Gray"]"These Savages may indeed be a formidable Enemy to your raw American Militia, but, upon the King's regular & disciplined Troops, Sir, it is impossible they should make any Impression." -- General Edward Braddock[/color]
Colonial Campaigns Club (supports BoA and WiA)
[color="Gray"]"... and keep moving on." -- General U.S. Grant[/color]
American Civil War Game Club (supports AACW)

bbriley
Lieutenant

How is this?

Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:17 am

Heldenkaiser wrote:Are you kidding? Hochmut kommt vor dem Fall, as you know. :niark:

Stolz kommt vor den Sturz. Would that be a decent translation (http://www.freetranslation.com)? It is only too painfully apparent that I don't speak German.

dooya

Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:18 am

Heldenkaiser wrote:I thought it would bear repetition. :D
In that respect you can count on me being like one of Pavlov's dogs. *wuff* Image :niark:
No quote - No bullshit!

Heldenkaiser
AGEod Grognard

Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:51 pm

Jojo le Gouffy wrote:Le terme grec s'applique à un homme qui ne respecte pas les limites implicites propres à son état dans un monde régit par les dieux
Et ceux-ci ont tendance à être jaloux.

Yes, the Greeks thought of their gods as being quite human, only a little more so ... :D
[color="Gray"]"These Savages may indeed be a formidable Enemy to your raw American Militia, but, upon the King's regular & disciplined Troops, Sir, it is impossible they should make any Impression." -- General Edward Braddock[/color]

DirkX
Lieutenant

Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:59 pm

bbriley wrote:Stolz kommt vor den Sturz. Would that be a decent translation (http://www.freetranslation.com)? It is only too painfully apparent that I don't speak German.

basically you are translating german into german ? :bonk:
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"

bbriley
Lieutenant

Oops

Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:21 pm

DirkX wrote:basically you are translating german into german ? :bonk:

Sorry. I translated "Pride comes before a fall" (a Biblical saying, I think - Proverbs?) into German using http://www.freetranslation.com. It is a good site for a quick (and dirty) translation, but not for real accuracy, that is for sure.

Again, the machine translation is: Stolz kommt vor einen Sturz.

And, from that site:
Ich frage mich, wenn Adolf Hitler missbraucht wurde, als er ein Kind war.

Ich hoffe, dass Sie einen großen Tag haben.

Rafiki

Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:31 pm

Ah, good old Godwin; about time he popped by... ;)
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

Heldenkaiser
AGEod Grognard

Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:53 pm

[quote="bbriley"]Sorry. I translated "Pride comes before a fall" (a Biblical saying, I think - Proverbs?) into German using http://www.freetranslation.com. QUOTE]

The German equivalent is "Hochmut kommt vor dem Fall" (we had that a few posts ago). :innocent:

bbriley
Lieutenant

And what is...

Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:42 am

Heldenkaiser wrote:
bbriley wrote:Sorry. I translated "Pride comes before a fall" (a Biblical saying, I think - Proverbs?) into German using http://www.freetranslation.com. QUOTE]

The German equivalent is "Hochmut kommt vor dem Fall" (we had that a few posts ago). :innocent:

I guess I should have known that a German military historian would know the Biblical phrases! Vas ist "Stolz kommt vor einen Sturz," then? Is Sturz referring to the Fall season, perhaps? Also, do you know about these books:

The War of the World: Twentieth-Century Conflict and the Descent of the West, by Niall Ferguson; and:

The Wars Against Napoleon: Debunking the Myth of the Napoleonic Wars, by Michel Franceschi and Ben Weider.

And finally: How the Irish Saved Civilization, by Thomas Cahill. I have seen it for years but don't know the content. Saved Europe from whom or what? The Goths? The Visigoths? The Huns? The Mongols? The invaders from Mars? From ignorance? I suspect it refers to the latter but don't know. It is always good to realize that the Divine invented whiskey so the Irish wouldn't rule the world.

GlobalExplorer
AGEod Veteran

Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:49 am

"Stolz kommt vor einen Sturz" .. not really German .. but it's comprehendible .. and the Fräuleins will love it :sourcil:

mikemike
Conscript

gameplayer's role in game

Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:42 am

you know, it's occurred to me after several eons of playing Vic and HOI and other, historic ruler with another name, games that it would be more realistic to be a minister or a military commander in a government of one of the historic leaders, than to pretend to be, say, churchill or hitler or stalin. having the task of "following the orders", no matter how crazy, would reflect historical reality better than, say, in HOI, of being the peace loving leader of germany, making friends with poland and waving a friendly hello to Léon Blum -- if so, in these kinds of history is a map, games, why the coded "events" at all? Crusader Kings has a nice understanding of this kind of game play.

mike

dooya

Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:44 am

bbriley wrote:
I guess I should have known that a German military historian would know the Biblical phrases! [...]
Depending on the actual translation you can find both versions in a German bible, and -fasten your seatbelt- even both versions in one and the same sentence:

18. Hochmut kommt vor dem Fall / und Stolz vor dem Sturz.
Found at http://www.bibel-online.net/bibel_5/20.sprueche/16.html, Choose "Neue evangelische Übersetzung" in the drop down menu at the top.

However, as far as I know, "Hochmut kommt vor dem Fall" has made it into German everyday language, "Stolz kommt vor dem Sturz" has not.
No quote - No bullshit!

Heldenkaiser
AGEod Grognard

Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:31 am

dooya wrote:Depending on the actual translation you can find both versions in a German bible, and -fasten your seatbelt- even both versions in one and the same sentence:

18. Hochmut kommt vor dem Fall / und Stolz vor dem Sturz.

Found at http://www.bibel-online.net/bibel_5/20.sprueche/16.html, Choose "Neue evangelische Übersetzung" in the drop down menu at the top.

However, as far as I know, "Hochmut kommt vor dem Fall" has made it into German everyday language, "Stolz kommt vor dem Sturz" has not.

I stand corrected. It appears I do NOT know my bible well, afterall. :bonk:

But both parts of the verse are nearly identical in meaning, that fooled me. Afterall there is only a slight semantic difference between Hochmut and Stolz, and none at all between Fall and Sturz. :innocent:

DirkX
Lieutenant

Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:03 pm

bbriley wrote:Sorry. I translated "Pride comes before a fall" (a Biblical saying, I think - Proverbs?) into German using http://www.freetranslation.com. It is a good site for a quick (and dirty) translation, but not for real accuracy, that is for sure.

Again, the machine translation is: Stolz kommt vor einen Sturz.

haha ^^ i missed that
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"

Philippe
AGEod Veteran

Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:06 pm

At the risk of being old-fashioned, I would think that if you wanted a German translation of a famous Biblical tag you would try to use Martin Luther rather than a machine translation. Luther has the same kind of resonance as the King James, and for similar reasons.

bbriley
Lieutenant

History

Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:24 pm

Philippe wrote:At the risk of being old-fashioned, I would think that if you wanted a German translation of a famous Biblical tag you would try to use Martin Luther rather than a machine translation. Luther has the same kind of resonance as the King James, and for similar reasons.

Yes, I would think Martin Luther's Translation would have had to be pretty good. However, I don't know what his source document was: The Latin Vulgate (translation into the Latin of the people by St. Jerome) or the older Hebrew (for the Jewish scriptures, including Proverbs).

As a rule, the King James version did not have as good a source material as today's modern translations do, and I would suspect that would be true in Germany as well. I.e., a modern German translation from the Hebrew and Greek manuscripts would be better (more accurate) than what Martin Luther had developed.

Thank you for your observation, in all cases. And I agree completely that a machine translation is nowhere near as good as that of a bilingual human being.

Carnium

Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:37 pm

Any chance for a full screen images of the screens from the first page :sourcil:

Le Ricain

Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:25 pm

bbriley wrote:Yes, I would think Martin Luther's Translation would have had to be pretty good. However, I don't know what his source document was: The Latin Vulgate (translation into the Latin of the people by St. Jerome) or the older Hebrew (for the Jewish scriptures, including Proverbs).

As a rule, the King James version did not have as good a source material as today's modern translations do, and I would suspect that would be true in Germany as well. I.e., a modern German translation from the Hebrew and Greek manuscripts would be better (more accurate) than what Martin Luther had developed.

Thank you for your observation, in all cases. And I agree completely that a machine translation is nowhere near as good as that of a bilingual human being.

Luther used Erasmus' 1519 Greek edition for his translation of the New Testament. For the Old testament, he used Hebrew texts that were available.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'Nous voilà, Lafayette'

Colonel C.E. Stanton, aide to A.E.F. commander John 'Black Jack' Pershing, upon the landing of the first US troops in France 1917

Pocus

Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:06 pm

Carnium wrote:Any chance for a full screen images of the screens from the first page :sourcil:

You can forget the first screen because the interface was redone from scratch. But no, it is not yet available! :nuts:

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

GlobalExplorer
AGEod Veteran

Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:51 pm

I would suggest removing these screens. It should be obvious to anyone that they were just quick and dirty prototypes done with a old version of the engine, to show what the game could look like.

But it seems some people are thinking they are from the real game. And besides, I also clicked on these links and it is not very professional to have a link to imageshack that isn't even working!

It should be clear there can be no screens because the game is in the design stage. And when they are available I would not expect the real screens to differ that much from previous games, though I would like to see graphics that resemble more BOA / ACW than NCP.

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Duh?!

Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:29 pm

Youse guys get a life!!! I can't beleive I actually tried to read this thread. I need a new life as well. LOL. T

arsan

Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:36 pm

GlobalExplorer wrote:I would suggest removing these screens. It should be obvious to anyone that they were just quick and dirty prototypes done with a old version of the engine, to show what the game could look like.

But it seems some people are thinking they are from the real game. And besides, I also clicked on these links and it is not very professional to have a link to imageshack that isn't even working!

It should be clear there can be no screens because the game is in the design stage. And when they are available I would not expect the real screens to differ that much from previous games, though I would like to see graphics that resemble more BOA / ACW than NCP.

Agree! :cwboy:
I know it says is an old screen but many people will not notice this and think this is how the game will look... :siffle:

Rafiki

Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:37 pm

There, there, Tag. Keep in mind that this thread has had some time to get here :)
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE

Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

GlobalExplorer
AGEod Veteran

Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:47 pm

This thread can be summed up like this: Ageod is working on a new game and it will be called "Vainglory of Nations"

There is still a long time before this game will see light of day, and this thread is probably just there to get people interested. I would also think that if you have a great idea this is a unique chance to bring it forward and actually know it will be read by the developers .. before it will be too late ..

Carnium

Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:00 pm

This thread is a bit quiet these days.. in fact it is too quiet for my taste :niark:
Here are a couple of questions to make it alive again :
- will we be able to hire foreign troops/units ? This would be great when managing small countries with a lot of money and not enough men power.
- will there be a market where we will be able to buy/sell things ?
- if yes - what things will we be able to buy/sell ?
- will there be many scripted events or will we be able to rewrite the history without them ? Example : start world war 1 before/after the real date
- how will the research work ?
- will we be able to research different arms or just different unit types ?
- will there be any small scenarios to play or just one grand campaign with different start dates ?
- when can we pre-order the game ? :siffle:

That is all .. for now :innocent:

Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:03 pm

GlobalExplorer wrote:There is still a long time before this game will see light of day, and this thread is probably just there to get people interested. I would also think that if you have a great idea this is a unique chance to bring it forward and actually know it will be read by the developers .. before it will be too late ..

Yes, indeed. :cwboy:
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." Mark Twain

lodilefty

Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:22 pm

Carnium wrote:This thread is a bit quiet these days.. in fact it is too quiet for my taste :niark:

That is all .. for now :innocent:

VGN is currently like a duck on the water: calm on top, paddling furiously underneath.... :niark: :niark:
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

Carnium

Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:44 pm

lodilefty wrote:VGN is currently like a duck on the water: calm on top, paddling furiously underneath.... :niark: :niark:

Can we get a few screens of this "duck" then ? :niark:

Jabberwock

Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:10 pm

Carnium wrote:Can we get a few screens of this "duck" then ? :niark:

Here you can see it symbolically riding on the back of a third world peasant.
Attachments
VGN_mascot.jpg
[color="DimGray"] You deserve to be spanked[/color]

lodilefty

Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:27 pm

Jabberwock wrote:Here you can see it symbolically riding on the back of a third world peasant.

:mdr: :mdr: :mdr:

I didn't realize that Pocus actually looks like that! :niark: :rolleyes:
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]

[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

Return to “Pride of Nations”