Michael Hopcroft
Sergeant

How to start the game and unite Germany?

Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:11 am

Even though the essence of the game appears to be reacting to events as they unfold, I'm wondering how to actually start a game with a coherent plan. I'm thinking of starting a game as the Prussians. My goal, at least for the start, is to unify Germany and then build it into a stable economic power avoiding general war if at all possible. It will obviously take a long time, and if there's one quality PON rewards more than any other it's patience.

Given that I only know what I've learned from the tutorials, I'm sure I'll be fumbling around in the early stages. So where do I begin? Conquering my neighbors would be a lot of trouble, so how do I convince them to join my new Confederation of Germany?

Durk

Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:33 am

If you are playing against AI just know that for the first year or two you will simply be trying to figure out how to manage your nation. Then it is time to begin to think about the questions you pose.

So plan and build with your plan in mind, examine your diplomatic options, make some offers, and proceed.

If you are in pbem, the other players will have these same issues. All of you will need to control your own economies, first of all.

Fun game, but the economics are essential to master before you can master the world.

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:16 am

Michael Hopcroft wrote:Even though the essence of the game appears to be reacting to events as they unfold, I'm wondering how to actually start a game with a coherent plan. I'm thinking of starting a game as the Prussians. My goal, at least for the start, is to unify Germany and then build it into a stable economic power avoiding general war if at all possible. It will obviously take a long time, and if there's one quality PON rewards more than any other it's patience.

Given that I only know what I've learned from the tutorials, I'm sure I'll be fumbling around in the early stages. So where do I begin? Conquering my neighbors would be a lot of trouble, so how do I convince them to join my new Confederation of Germany?

The game is basically built around the historical sequence - war with Denmark should give you hegemony in Northern Germany, war with Austria (which is more optional) should consolidate your control, war with France (which is essential) should give you Germany.

A word of warning you need Schleswig and Holstein as a precondition for a critical step in the later Franco-German crisis (this is the reason an AI Prussia often fails and something fixed for an upcoming beta).

If you are patient, the minor states will join you by choice bringing their armies (a bit of a mixed blessing as these will not upgrade over time) and resources, if you war with them then you lose all these freebies.

So with Prussia, I'd say take on Denmark, and then build up both industry and army for the clashes with Austria and France. After 1880 you enter the colonial game seriously, but you can move a bit earlier by taking colonies from other powers.
AJE The Hero, The Traitor and The Barbarian
PoN Manufacturing Italy; A clear bright sun
RoP The Mightiest Empires Fall
WIA Burning down the Houses; Wars in America; The Tea Wars

Darthkommandant
Private

Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:35 am

In my game I got Schleswig and Holstein without fighting Denmark along with the rest of northern Germany am I ok for the Franco Prussian crisis later?

Michael Hopcroft
Sergeant

Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:45 am

All I did the first turn was start working on a coal mine, then I saved the game to give myself a chanced to cogitate. I was given the "national mission" of building the "largest army in Europe" and ten years to complete it. I would also be required to maintain that army. However, I'm a little concerned about how to go about it and what to put in it, as I'm not entirely clear on recruiting and maintenance for an army of 200 regiments.

My concern is that if I embark on such an ambitious armament program I will be compelled to go to war sooner than I would like against either Austria or Russia, as they view such a large army as a provocation. I'm also concerned that it would detract from building my economy and developing some of the industries I would wish to. Clearly I haven't quite formulated my plans.

Darthkommandant
Private

Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:20 am

I woudn't worry to much about the missions as they don't come back after they expire. Besides you need railroads linking the Rhineland with Berlin ASAP. Chemical plants and coal mines are good investments as well but don't neglect the commerce ships as they can make a lot of Money for you if used right. Use the b and t button screens early and often to track the flow of goods as well. I'm playing prussia in 1865 and I unified the north without firing a shot and am bring in 1500 to 2000 private capital a turn. Having a small shortage of state funds but with the army I have it's not surprising.

Edit money not Monet

Kensai

Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:13 am

This game is perfect to learn and repass history of the era. If you follow the historical events closely, you will unify Germany as the real Prussia. ;)

One of the lessons learned, though, to be applied in a future PON2 or PON Reloaded/Gold, is that we might need some more generic events to include all of the potential actions of the player, even those that might break the historical continuity. Of course, such an endeavor is so much more difficult as you move forward in time and all events have their own side effects, as ever-dividing branches in a tree...
Care to unify Germany as Austria? Recreate the Holy Roman Empire of the 20th Century:
Großdeutschland Mod
Are you tough enough to impersonate the Shogun and defy the Westerners? Prove it:
Shogun Defiance Mod (completed AAR)

Return to “Pride of Nations”