Yappy Hank
Private

Help/Bugs

Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:43 am

Alright, I love this subject and have been following the forums since the day WW1 was announced and as it appears we are getting close to an extremely enjoyable game, I DLed the demo (1.05I or is it an L) to see where we were.

A list of questions/suggestions:

1) Playing as AH in 4player GC '14 (and future entries will pertain to this scenario), why do I get the Lawrence of Arabia event? And why does 2 or 3 turns later Britain play it?

2)I am unable to see the scroll down knobs on the reinforce AH HQs screen - I can click in an area where they are likely to be and it scrolls.

3)When I click the area in the upper left of the screen to get all the charts and stuff, I am unable to read the scenario info - there is no scroll down button and the sentence is stopped midway (and I suspect there is much more info to be listed).

4)Why does Russia play the Boer Agitation event card against its allies the British?

5)The message box in the bottom right of the main screen contains message from the prior scenario I played.

6)I like this one - maybe I'm interpreting it wrong: "Event played on Germany by Germany: Strikes" and the display goes on to say what has happened against Germany.

7)I can't seem to send 2 ambassadors to a country if another country already has one there. On this same vein, if two or more are already there, I don't seem to be able to send any.

8)About 1/3 the time I alt-tab out, the game locks up. Makes it kinda hard/frustrating to play at work.

9)And finally, why I am here and not playing this great game with excellent potential: the game keeps getting hung up on a German AI seige in Antwerp: with music turned off, the brain keeps blinking and blinking, at least 90 minutes later on the 3rd attempt to get by here.

Can't wait to play this game.

calvinus

Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:29 am

Yappy Hank wrote:1) Playing as AH in 4player GC '14 (and future entries will pertain to this scenario), why do I get the Lawrence of Arabia event? And why does 2 or 3 turns later Britain play it?

You probably drew the event from the deck... normal, it's exactly like a deck of cards, and you can draw any card without limitations... then you can choose if to keep it in your hand or to discard/reshuffle the card. So I guess you drew the card, and you reshuffled it, then Britain later drew it and played against you... ;)

Yappy Hank wrote:2)I am unable to see the scroll down knobs on the reinforce AH HQs screen - I can click in an area where they are likely to be and it scrolls.

You can use the mouse wheel, provided the mouse is over the black rectangular window. Or you can use the small up/down arrows... barely visible, because they are really small... to be changed! :bonk:

Yappy Hank wrote:3)When I click the area in the upper left of the screen to get all the charts and stuff, I am unable to read the scenario info - there is no scroll down button and the sentence is stopped midway (and I suspect there is much more info to be listed).

Again the mouse wheel, don't you see up/down arrows? Which scenario/campaign?

Yappy Hank wrote:4)Why does Russia play the Boer Agitation event card against its allies the British?

Boer Agitation is a mandatory event. So, once drawn from the deck, it must be played! What happened: Russian player drew the event and was forced to play it. :D

The Events section of the manual is incoming (a draft is already available for download... look "Manual Sections" thread, and a chapter concerning all mandatory events is already done).

Yappy Hank wrote:5)The message box in the bottom right of the main screen contains message from the prior scenario I played.

I recall this bug was already fixed, strange. I will look at this. ;)

Yappy Hank wrote:6)I like this one - maybe I'm interpreting it wrong: "Event played on Germany by Germany: Strikes" and the display goes on to say what has happened against Germany.

It's a "parametrical" text: Event played on %t by %p: %e
where
%t is the target-or-drawing nation;
%p is the player name (you are playing in 4-players mode, so the player name is the same of the nation);
%e is the event title.

Hope this helps... :neener:

Yappy Hank wrote:7)I can't seem to send 2 ambassadors to a country if another country already has one there. On this same vein, if two or more are already there, I don't seem to be able to send any.

The rule is max two ambassadors per target nation per alliance. Scroll carefully all ambassadors present there or coming there (use the horizontal scrollers once you select the country) and you will find two AMBs there or coming there already.

Yappy Hank wrote:8)About 1/3 the time I alt-tab out, the game locks up. Makes it kinda hard/frustrating to play at work.

Be sure you have not checked the "Lock full-screen" option (WW1 Configurator - Configure Game). I use the Alt-Tab with absolutely no problem, and you are the first person who reports such problem... :blink:

Yappy Hank wrote:9)And finally, why I am here and not playing this great game with excellent potential: the game keeps getting hung up on a German AI seige in Antwerp: with music turned off, the brain keeps blinking and blinking, at least 90 minutes later on the 3rd attempt to get by here.

You are not the first one. I desperately tried to reproduce this problem, unsuccessfully however! Grrr...
Please if you have a savegame where this happens regularly, do not hesitate in posting it here! Zipped savegame, please, both .SAV & .MAP files! ;)

Thanks,
Calvinus.

calvinus

Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:50 pm

Yappy Hank wrote:9)And finally, why I am here and not playing this great game with excellent potential: the game keeps getting hung up on a German AI seige in Antwerp: with music turned off, the brain keeps blinking and blinking, at least 90 minutes later on the 3rd attempt to get by here.

I finished the refactoring of siege AI right now. It's now much simpler, and no hang should now occur... :feu:

Next patch. :love:

Yappy Hank
Private

Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:23 pm

Thanks a ton for your responses and clarification - however on point #6 (please note I used the manual to reduce this number from about 4:) ), it reads to me that Germany is playing this event against herself.

Yappy Hank
Private

Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:36 pm

A new event issue (redoing GC 4player as AH): "Event played by agermany on Germany: Rebellion! Rebellion......" Gist being I, AH, have to keep 3 corps garrisoning Trieste. My allies shouldn't do this to me, at least proper thinking allies.

I also still can't scroll using the mouse wheel through the scenario description on page 1 of the 51 pages when I click the flag in the upper left corner of my screen.

Some questions on things I can't find in the manual (please note some of the pages listed in the table of contents do not appear on the page as listed - ie, Ch 10 is on p34)). How do I change a corp (with no army number in the yellow rectangle) from one army to another? The manual is vague on placing a units in the GHQ - it says they can be taken from anywhere (with exceptions) put still doesn't say how. I click on a AH unit anywhere on the map (excluding the "exceptions") and I can't begain to see how to place it in the GHQ using the manual.

The entrenching section in ch. 10 describes what an entrechment does, not how one goes through the act of entrenching :) I believe it happens automatically?

I don't have a working zip program (that I am aware of) to send you a copy of the saved game.

Thank you for your time and effort.

calvinus

Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:20 pm

Yappy Hank wrote:A new event issue (redoing GC 4player as AH): "Event played by agermany on Germany: Rebellion! Rebellion......" Gist being I, AH, have to keep 3 corps garrisoning Trieste. My allies shouldn't do this to me, at least proper thinking allies.

Again, this is a mandatory event (i.e. "Nationalist Agitation"). So your ally drew the event and was forced to play it, againt you... ;)

Yappy Hank wrote:I also still can't scroll using the mouse wheel through the scenario description on page 1 of the 51 pages when I click the flag in the upper left corner of my screen.

Ok, I will have a look at this.

Yappy Hank wrote:Some questions on things I can't find in the manual (please note some of the pages listed in the table of contents do not appear on the page as listed - ie, Ch 10 is on p34)). How do I change a corp (with no army number in the yellow rectangle) from one army to another? The manual is vague on placing a units in the GHQ - it says they can be taken from anywhere (with exceptions) put still doesn't say how. I click on a AH unit anywhere on the map (excluding the "exceptions") and I can't begain to see how to place it in the GHQ using the manual.

If you drag and drop a stack using the right mouse key, you can change the army assignment, but be sure no numbered-army-corps are present. ;)

Yappy Hank wrote:The entrenching section in ch. 10 describes what an entrechment does, not how one goes through the act of entrenching :) I believe it happens automatically?

Trench level is increased (automatically) by some technologies (trench mortars, land mines, flamethrowers, machine guns, etc. etc.).

Yappy Hank
Private

Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:31 am

Thanks you for the quick replies. About the transferring of units to the GHQ reserve..........
The manual is vague on placing a units in the GHQ - it says they can be taken from anywhere (with exceptions) put still doesn't say how. I click on a AH unit anywhere on the map (excluding the "exceptions") and I can't begain to see how to place it in the GHQ using the manual.

calvinus

Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:20 am

Which manual? The short one or the big one? Which page, please? It must be corrected... :(

You can assign units to the GHQ, yes, but they must come from a stack located in the same area like the GHQ. So, I think you have first to detach the units you want to send to the GHQ, then you must move the new stack(s) [by rais is faster] and once they arrive, merge the stack(s) with the GHQ.

Yappy Hank
Private

Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:34 pm

Alright this is going to be really brief as the long list of bugs and manual errata got lost when the AGEOD box at the top right told me I was logged in, but when I hit "Submit Reply", I was told I wasn't logged in - when I relogged in all I got was a white page. backing up did nothing salvageable. Grrrr...

GHQ wise I was referring to 11.9.2 on actual pg 59.

On my May '15 as AH, the allies play the two allied marine events - the pop up says they will be placed in the BEF in sept '14 - its already may '15.

How about tutorials (there is so much to read and the manual really doesn't explain how to use the mouse and what to click) covering economics (please - just explain the numbers on the top bar), diplomacy (I can figure this out from the manual although you might want to elucidate how to merge units in case 1 of your allies has an amb in the same country), naval mov't planning and cost (again, the manual says nothing about what to click), the actual clicks involved in changing the HQ of a detachment, etc... An AAR could help too on these matters.

When I try to change HQs, I often start a messy phase on the mouse buttons getting confused as to left and right in subsequent actions. Also, if unsuccessful (it won't highlight a new HQ and let me select it) at changing HQs, the "which new HQ do you want " pop up stays on the screen for a while.

I had a bunch of page corrections but the gist is that starting around page 33 ( I think), the numbers are off by one page (and more towards the end).

Thanks for all your effort.

calvinus

Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:03 pm

Yappy Hank wrote:GHQ wise I was referring to 11.9.2 on actual pg 59.

Perfect, thanks. I will inform Martin asap.

Yappy Hank wrote:On my May '15 as AH, the allies play the two allied marine events - the pop up says they will be placed in the BEF in sept '14 - its already may '15.

Yes, the event's "historical notes" refer to the 'historical' occurrence, of course. And I suppose this happened because Great Britain entered the war with some months delay as compared to history... ;)

Yappy Hank wrote:How about tutorials (there is so much to read and the manual really doesn't explain how to use the mouse and what to click) covering economics (please - just explain the numbers on the top bar), diplomacy (I can figure this out from the manual although you might want to elucidate how to merge units in case 1 of your allies has an amb in the same country), naval mov't planning and cost (again, the manual says nothing about what to click), the actual clicks involved in changing the HQ of a detachment, etc... An AAR could help too on these matters.

Excellent suggestion. :thumbsup:

Yappy Hank wrote:When I try to change HQs, I often start a messy phase on the mouse buttons getting confused as to left and right in subsequent actions. Also, if unsuccessful (it won't highlight a new HQ and let me select it) at changing HQs, the "which new HQ do you want " pop up stays on the screen for a while.

The popup menus always have a "do nothing" option. ;)

Yappy Hank wrote:I had a bunch of page corrections but the gist is that starting around page 33 ( I think), the numbers are off by one page (and more towards the end).

Well well, corrections to manual are welcome!! :thumbsup:

Yappy Hank
Private

Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappy Hank
When I try to change HQs, I often start a messy phase on the mouse buttons getting confused as to left and right in subsequent actions. Also, if unsuccessful (it won't highlight a new HQ and let me select it) at changing HQs, the "which new HQ do you want " pop up stays on the screen for a while.

The popup menus always have a "do nothing" option.

-Yes, but if you can't move and select something within the popup to get it out of the way, and the samething keeps happening and happening.........

patrat
Captain

Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:11 am

lately i have been the same problem occasionally.

i have to bring up the option screen and close it to make it clear.

in my case i think its related to having an old computer, because if i play without the 3d animated units it almost never happens.

Yappy Hank
Private

Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:17 am

Hmmm, I will switch icons - the computer is only 11 months old in my case.

berrio028
Civilian

Why are lace wigs so popular

Mon May 11, 2009 11:09 am

lace wig began as the best kept secret in hair styling innovation for celebrities. Now full lace wigsare available for the convenience and affordability of the every day diva. Lace wigs offer a semipermanentsolution to hair replacement. lace front wig is designed to look natural, as if you’re not wearing a custom lace wigs at all. The lace is attached to the perimeter of the natural hairline, creating a natural looking hair line and a realistic looking scalp. You can manage human hair lace wigs just as your own human hair wig.

Return to “WW1 Technical support / Aide technique”