LarryP
Sergeant

Crash with 1.06D Patch

Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:47 am

The 1.06D patch is what caused me to go ahead and purchase this game. However, I get occasional lockups. I have all anti virus disabled and nothing running in the background. Top end computer with 2 gigs of ram. NVIDIA 8800 GTS video card and a 3.6 gig CPU. DirectX 9.0c installed. Dxdiag shows everything is up to par.

AI logs = off
AI memory = on
Load all map at start = on
Load all sounds = on
Enable sound effects = on
Play sounds in streaming mode = on
Use monitor resolution = on (1600x1200x32)

A friend told me that if I change between campaigns without exiting the game, that it could cause a crash, so I don't do that. Today I had the 4 player campaign going for about six hours and it froze up.

Any advice as to where to look?

calvinus

Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:00 am

Try so:

AI logs = off
AI memory = off
Load all map at start = off
Load all sounds = off
Play sounds in streaming mode = off

(that's to say something very similar to the default setup, maybe the only difference is AI memory off)

Johan
Conscript

Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:47 pm

calvinus wrote:Try so:

AI logs = off
AI memory = off
Load all map at start = off
Load all sounds = off
Play sounds in streaming mode = off

(that's to say something very similar to the default setup, maybe the only difference is AI memory off)

When all options will be = On I will buy this game :) I want music.

It looks really amazing this game. Please hurry Calvinus

morvael
Sergeant

Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:59 pm

I think music is enabled with these settings, it's only the streaming mode that is disabled and the other options don't deal with music at all. Of course that how I understand it personally.

LarryP
Sergeant

Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:00 pm

Calvinus;

I read a post from November 2008 that said if a single player plays the 4 player multiplayer campaign it could lock up. Could that still be a problem?

calvinus

Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:46 pm

Johan wrote:When all options will be = On I will buy this game :) I want music.

It looks really amazing this game. Please hurry Calvinus

With that options the sounds & musics are on, morvael is right.

calvinus

Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:46 pm

LarryP wrote:Calvinus;

I read a post from November 2008 that said if a single player plays the 4 player multiplayer campaign it could lock up. Could that still be a problem?

Very old stuff. The 4 players mode is now stable.

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:53 pm

Single player playing 4 player game!!! Is that like playing myself with a board game? t

LarryP
Sergeant

Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:34 pm

tagwyn wrote:Single player playing 4 player game!!! Is that like playing myself with a board game? t

No, it's like only wanting to play one country while learning the game.

Rafiki

Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:53 pm

tagwyn wrote:Single player playing 4 player game!!! Is that like playing myself with a board game? t

Well, in computer games, if there aren't enough people to fill all player slots, the computer AI usually fills in for the missing players ;)
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

Johan
Conscript

Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:03 pm

calvinus wrote:With that options the sounds & musics are on, morvael is right.

Great. Thank you both.

What does AI logs = off, AI memory = off means gameplay wise? How does it affect the game?

Du you still have to disable all anti virus program?

vonRocko
Colonel

Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:38 pm

calvinus wrote:Very old stuff. The 4 players mode is now stable.

Are you sure about this? Just two days ago, I started a 4 player mode game as AH. After 3 turns it locked up in a battle. I started a new game and went 4 turns before locking up in a battle again. I gave up and started a normal 2 player campaign. Sorry, no saves. Just wondering.
Thanks

06 Maestro
General

Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:28 am

I would call it a more accurate method to experience WW1. Playing two nations allows from some rather unrealistic concentration of effort. Controlling two nations may be a fun way of playing, but not the most challenging.

LarryP
Sergeant

Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:30 am

vonRocko wrote:Are you sure about this? Just two days ago, I started a 4 player mode game as AH. After 3 turns it locked up in a battle. I started a new game and went 4 turns before locking up in a battle again. I gave up and started a normal 2 player campaign. Sorry, no saves. Just wondering.
Thanks

Looks very familiar... I played the 2 player all day for two days before trying the 4 player and it never locked up. That's about 16+ hours of leaving the game on, during eating and such too.

Everything has been done after 1.06D as I bought this game because this patch looked promising.

I gotta say, the manual and music are both excellent. So is the game with so many helpful tooltips, but lockups make me play on the edge of my seat.

LarryP
Sergeant

Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:47 pm

It's still freezing up in the 4-player campaign. It freezes in the same place each time... at the beginning of a battle of two countries done automatically. I sit and watch and nothing happens, that's when I know it's time to ctrl+alt+delete out and reboot.

Frigging maddening.

calvinus

Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:26 pm

Today I tried the 4-players campaign for 4 full turns. No freeze. :blink: Can you post here the zipped savegame, please? ;)

LarryP
Sergeant

Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:28 pm

Here is the save from where I started from, and after the next Interphase turn it happened.

Thanks Calvinus.
Attachments
4-Player Campaign.zip
(422.46 KiB) Downloaded 228 times

vonRocko
Colonel

Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:51 am

calvinus wrote:Today I tried the 4-players campaign for 4 full turns. No freeze. :blink: Can you post here the zipped savegame, please? ;)

I also started another 4 player campaign,and this time I saved. I made it almost a year before it froze on an AI vs. AI battle. But after loading the save, it made it through the battles. So I don't know if the save will help or not.
Attachments
A.zip
(431.88 KiB) Downloaded 226 times

LarryP
Sergeant

Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:35 am

vonRocko wrote:I also started another 4 player campaign,and this time I saved. I made it almost a year before it froze on an AI vs. AI battle. But after loading the save, it made it through the battles. So I don't know if the save will help or not.

I do similar as you but I loaded the autosave file and continue on and it goes a little while and then lockup. Always at the AI vs AI battles too.

calvinus

Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:56 am

Thanks Larry and Rocko, I will test the 4P lockups later today. ;)

LarryP
Sergeant

Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:25 pm

vonRocko;

Do you by chance use a Creative X-Fi sound card in your PC that runs this game?

calvinus

Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:30 pm

LarryP wrote:Here is the save from where I started from, and after the next Interphase turn it happened.

Thanks Calvinus.

Tested, zero crashes... :blink:
I played the following four turns, no problem. :bonk:

LarryP
Sergeant

Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:09 pm

Calvinus; I found out what it is. It's hardware sound acceleration. I use a Creative X-Fi card and it locks up at every setting except "Off" and "Basic." The next level up from Basic is "Standard" and it locks up with that too. It REALLY locks up at the full "Advanced" setting.

It ONLY locked up at the AI versus AI battles.

At both Off and Basic the sound is much worse, choppy and it stops suddenly, but at least it stopped locking up at these two settings.

I run "dxdiag" and go to the 5th tab that's labeled "Sound" and the hardware acceleration slider is at the bottom.

So you could have played the entire saved game and it never would have locked up. :-)

calvinus

Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:29 pm

Ah ok, now it's clear! Indeed I tested all saves like a mad without any single lock up or crash... :bonk: :bonk: :bonk:

LarryP
Sergeant

Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:24 pm

It's a real bummer to have to do without at least the standard acceleration as it is so clippy. This is a very popular sound card too, I'm surprised that a lot of people haven't had this problem?!

LarryP
Sergeant

Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:55 pm

Well, it finally locked up with Basic acceleration on so now it can only be played with No acceleration. It just took a lot longer with Basic acceleration is all.

That renders the game unplayable for me now. The only game I ever play without sound is OOTP9, and it's only because it's the best baseball game there is. Anyway, I play my own baseball sounds in the background.

I found a list of other bugs though while testing this acceleration problem... I should post them in the Tech section.

vonRocko
Colonel

Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:11 am

LarryP wrote:vonRocko;

Do you by chance use a Creative X-Fi sound card in your PC that runs this game?

No, I have Realtek sound,never been a problem.But I play without music.
Don't give up on the game Larry. For me,the battle lockups are few,it happens sooner or later,but with a game save I can get past it. You can also play the 2 player campaign,where this isn't a problem. :thumbsup:

Thanks for looking into this Calvinus, :bonk:

LarryP
Sergeant

Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:15 am

vonRocko; You don't have any lockups in 2-player campaign?

Also, is your sound acceleration on in DirectX?

Thanks for the push to stay in this game. I am tired of lockups and was in the process of deciding which other game to play for a while. However, I am only interested in WW1 right now, so I may slug it out. ;)

vonRocko
Colonel

Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:16 am

LarryP wrote:vonRocko; You don't have any lockups in 2-player campaign?

Also, is your sound acceleration on in DirectX?

Thanks for the push to stay in this game. I am tired of lockups and was in the process of deciding which other game to play for a while. However, I am only interested in WW1 right now, so I may slug it out. ;)

Larry, I have had no problems running the 2 player campaign for several patches now. No crashes or lockups,at least for me. I usually play it that way,and only recently started messing with the 4 player. It would seem you and I are the only ones having this problem,and Calvinus cannot reproduce it,so I don't know what to think.
The 2 player campaign is really the way to play anyhow.(unless you have 4 humans)
Good luck with it and don't forget to save. Have fun! :D

LarryP
Sergeant

Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:28 am

vonRocko wrote:Larry, I have had no problems running the 2 player campaign for several patches now. No crashes or lockups,at least for me. I usually play it that way,and only recently started messing with the 4 player. It would seem you and I are the only ones having this problem,and Calvinus cannot reproduce it,so I don't know what to think.
The 2 player campaign is really the way to play anyhow.(unless you have 4 humans)
Good luck with it and don't forget to save. Have fun! :D

Yes, save often! :D I just finished a 2-player and did almost a year with no hangups. Just some annoyances like messages being covered up by event choice menus. Then when I choose the events and close the menu, the messages are not there. Also during naval battles, the messages for the opposing side display up above the battle box.

Have fun and thanks! :thumbsup:

Return to “WW1 : La Grande Guerre 14-18”