Cat Lord

Strange weather in Ocmulgee

Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:53 pm

That the second year in a row I got snow in Ocmulgee and nowhere around in the middle of April.

Given it's in today's Georgia, there may be something wrong with the weather there... ;)

Cat
[CENTER]
Image[/CENTER]

Gray_Lensman

Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:59 am

deleted

lodilefty

Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:38 am

Ocmulgee is Swamp, and is part of the "Uplands South" weather zone

Coweta is Forest, Uplands South

Ogechee and Tomosa are Swamp, Coastal Southeast zone.

So, Ocmulgee will often have different weather from swamps adjacent.

As to Snow in April, we get into semantics: I would prefer to think of it as "cold" rather than literally "snow", but the game as currently defined only gives 4 types of weather to choose. (A wonderful modding opportunity ;) )

Having said this, examining the Weather DB shows no chance of Snow in those Weather Zones in Swamp terrain in any month!!! :blink:
Can you please upload a zipped save? Include the turn you see snow and one turn previous (backup folder) :)
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

Gray_Lensman

Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:49 pm

deleted

lodilefty

Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:16 pm

Gray_Lensman wrote:Doh! (and entirely correct) :bonk: It's been awhile since we had any difficulties and thus had to work with the AACW weather files. Now this makes me wonder if anything similar exists in AACW that's been missed all this time.

Interestingly, I decided to see if I could reproduce the conditions and ended up getting snow in Ocmulgee the very first initialization turn of the 1776 Campaign Scenario.

[ATTACH]11919[/ATTACH]

Below is the initial turn saved game, but there is no preceding turn of course. Something is obviously amiss in the Weather code even at game start.

If you absolutely need the preceding turn and Cat Lord comes up empty, I'll try another restart and play thru for some additional turns until snow again shows up in Ocmulgee. :)

Hmm.
In the 1776.scr Setup file the region 498Ocmulgee has Weather=1 assigned (snow), so it appears that the complier assigned snow disregarding the weather patterns.

..but that may be a different bug, as we still gotta fugure out Was Gibt in April. :blink:

Region file looks OK
Meta_Alias looks OK
Weather files look OK

Only obvious difference is that Ocmulgee has an Indian Village, other swamps do not....

erf...

[SIZE="3"][color="Red"]Hocus POCUS[/color][/size]
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]

[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

Cat Lord

Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:06 pm

I suppose you don't need a zip file, then ? :D

Cat
[CENTER]

Image[/CENTER]

lodilefty

Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:07 pm

Cat Lord wrote:I suppose you don't need a zip file, then ? :D

Cat

Yes, Please: we still need to look at your result in April.... :)
[CENTER][/CENTER]

Pocus

Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:27 pm

Fixed! (hopefully), at least I found an error (does not mean there is no other :) )

There is a data called WeatherHierarchy, which is there to see if a worse weather can propagate from a low terrain to a high terrain (example, in the same weather zone, if it snows in plain, then it snows in mountain). In WIA, swamp is a terrain used, but the hierarchy was not defined in the code, so it used 999, meaning swamp was supposed to be higher than mountains.

Thus, as it could snow in mountains in the weather area of Ocmulgee (south upland), the code gave a snow weather too to our swamps (remember the swamps were supposed to reach 15.000 m altitude :) ).

I have added support for the Swamp terrain in the code. It is hard coded, because this is the old system... Now (ROP & VGN and beyond) the Weather Hierarchy is a data specified in the terrains files, so there is no problem in the new games.

Lodilefty, I would need you to check all the terrains used in WIA so I can verify they are all handled by the hard coded data in the code.

Alternatively WIA can switch to the new model, but this is a bit of work for not much of a gain now that the game is stable.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

lodilefty

Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:27 pm

AFAIK, Terrains in use:

Land
$Clear = 0
$PrairieWIA = 5
$Forest = 6
$WoodWIA = 7
$Wilderness = 8
$Mountain = 9
$Swamp = 16

Water
$Ocean = 1
$Sea = 2
$Lake = 3
$Shallow = 4
$Coastal = 13

Links
$MinorRiver = 17
$MajorRiver = 18
$TransitionLink = 22
$MinorFerry = 24
$MajorFerry 25
$LongTransitLink = 27
$VLongTransitLink = 28
$PortageLink = 35
[CENTER][/CENTER]

Cat Lord

Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:26 pm

Sorry, I have continued to play, and I was too lazy to try to Copy and Paste the save, then roll it back until the terrain was snowy.

Glad I helped to find a bug though. :)

Cat
[CENTER]

Image[/CENTER]

Pocus

Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:13 am

lodilefty wrote:AFAIK, Terrains in use:

Land
$Clear = 0
$PrairieWIA = 5
$Forest = 6
$WoodWIA = 7
$Wilderness = 8
$Mountain = 9
$Swamp = 16

Water
$Ocean = 1
$Sea = 2
$Lake = 3
$Shallow = 4
$Coastal = 13

Links
$MinorRiver = 17
$MajorRiver = 18
$TransitionLink = 22
$MinorFerry = 24
$MajorFerry 25
$LongTransitLink = 27
$VLongTransitLink = 28
$PortageLink = 35

Should be ok for next patch then.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Return to “Help to improve WIA”