Heldenkaiser
AGEod Grognard

BoA2 System Requirements

Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:17 pm

I am thinking about getting BoA2 ... my problem is that my computer is seven years old, a 2.40 GHz Pentium IV with 1 GB RAM. BoA 1 still loads comparatively fast on this machine, but loading AACW takes long enough to visit the necessaries AND get a new beer ... does anybody have an idea how BoA 2 will compare to that? If it requires me to get a new machine first, I'll wait with the purchase until I've come round to doing that. :bonk:

Thanks! :)
[color="Gray"]"These Savages may indeed be a formidable Enemy to your raw American Militia, but, upon the King's regular & disciplined Troops, Sir, it is impossible they should make any Impression." -- General Edward Braddock[/color]
Colonial Campaigns Club (supports BoA and WiA)
[color="Gray"]"... and keep moving on." -- General U.S. Grant[/color]
American Civil War Game Club (supports AACW)

BenadictArnorld
Conscript

Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:53 am

My System is 1.1 Ghz and 512 RAM and BoA does OK..Civilwar is a bit slower, but not so bad.
I would think your system would be better....maybe you have a bug or something slowing you down?

arsan

Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:31 am

Hi
Fom my experience (five years old computer: PIV 2.8 2 GB RAM (just installed recently, before i played with just 1 GB)), WIA is somewhat less demanding than AACW. The map is probably as big, but the structure, Ai decissions and unit densities are lower.
For example, turn process is much faster than on AACW.
Why don't you check the demo? :)

Heldenkaiser
AGEod Grognard

Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:06 pm

Thank you, Gentlemen. If it's not slower than AACW, that will be fine. :)
[color="Gray"]"These Savages may indeed be a formidable Enemy to your raw American Militia, but, upon the King's regular & disciplined Troops, Sir, it is impossible they should make any Impression." -- General Edward Braddock[/color]

Heldenkaiser
AGEod Grognard

Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:50 pm

I downloaded BoA2 and I find it loads about as quickly as BoA1 or even a tad quicker. Amazing. :)

What it does do however, unlike BoA1, but quite as AACW, is make my system noticeably slower, sometimes even outright hang, for several minutes after closing the game. Is this something anybody else has noticed? Is it normal? And if not, what might be the reason? :confused:

Clovis

Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:55 pm

Heldenkaiser wrote:I downloaded BoA2 and I find it loads about as quickly as BoA1 or even a tad quicker. Amazing. :)

What it does do however, unlike BoA1, but quite as AACW, is make my system noticeably slower, sometimes even outright hang, for several minutes after closing the game. Is this something anybody else has noticed? Is it normal? And if not, what might be the reason? :confused:

BTW, I feel slowiness on your old system is tied with the HD. If your disk is seven year old you should consider to get a new one. Load time will shrunck.
[LEFT]Disabled
[CENTER][LEFT]
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]SVF news: http://struggleformodding.wordpress.com/

[/LEFT]
[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

arsan

Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:58 pm

I don't have that issue on WIA or AACW.
It sound like game things loaded on memory don't get unloaded fast enough after exiting the game. :bonk:

Heldenkaiser
AGEod Grognard

Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:06 pm

arsan wrote:I don't have that issue on WIA or AACW.
It sound like game things loaded on memory don't get unloaded fast enough after exiting the game. :bonk:

Indeed it does. What could cause that? :confused:

Heldenkaiser
AGEod Grognard

Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:08 pm

Clovis wrote:BTW, I feel slowiness on your old system is tied with the HD. If your disk is seven year old you should consider to get a new one. Load time will shrunck.

Better get a new computer entirely ... :bonk:

Still, the disk checks OK, it's been defragmented a short while ago, has plenty of free space, and I regularly clean up the trash that Windows tends to accumulate. Most importantly, I don't have that problem with any other application or game, just with the Ageod games mentioned. :confused:

lodilefty

Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:11 pm

Heldenkaiser wrote:I downloaded BoA2 and I find it loads about as quickly as BoA1 or even a tad quicker. Amazing. :)

I suspect these 2 games are using 'virtual memory' on your Hard Drive, which then thrashes for a while to clear itself [if it even can] upon exiting the game....
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

Heldenkaiser
AGEod Grognard

Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:32 pm

lodilefty wrote:I suspect these 2 games are using 'virtual memory' on your Hard Drive, which then thrashes for a while to clear itself [if it even can] upon exiting the game....

Thank you, that sounds like a good explanation. Anything I can do about that? :)

Carnium

Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:21 am

Heldenkaiser wrote:Thank you, that sounds like a good explanation. Anything I can do about that? :)

Go to "my computer", "control panel","Performance and Maintenance","System","Advance tab" "under Performance click on Settings","Advanced" and check last option "virtual memory".
Choose "custom size" and set to the recommended one.
Something like that :Image

Additional info and explanation here:
http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php
http://www.bloganything.net/205/optimize-windows-xp-virtual-memory

Try it and report back ;)

Heldenkaiser
AGEod Grognard

Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:33 pm

Carnium wrote:Choose "custom size" and set to the recommended one.

Hm, I already have a custom size in excess of the recommended one. You wouldn't think that would do any actual harm? (The difference is slight, recommended is 1.5 and I have 2 GB.)

TiFlo
Captain

Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:15 pm

As often with computers, you'll find as many different opinions as there are advices.
Some say your virtual memory has to be left as it is (you let the system decide). Some say the bigger, the better. Others say it has to be 1.5 the size of your memory.

I have mine set at 3Go (min & max), which is 1.5 the total of my 2Go of memory. So far, so good.

For what I know, too much virtual memory is not that good, because your disk is going to constantly switch back and forth between true and virtual memory when writing files, and at some point it can become a hog rather than a helpful setup.
[CENTER]« Quel pays ! Quels hommes ! Quelle guerre ! Non, ma chère maman, votre enfant n'est pas fait pour habiter cette contrée barbare. »
[/CENTER]
[CENTER] Louis-Antoine de Bougainville, 1758
[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Image
[/CENTER]

[CENTER][color=DarkGreen]WIA 1.05 Patch[/color]
[/CENTER]

Carnium

Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:03 am

TiFlo wrote:I have mine set at 3Go (min & max), which is 1.5 the total of my 2Go of memory. So far, so good.

For what I know, too much virtual memory is not that good, because your disk is going to constantly switch back and forth between true and virtual memory when writing files, and at some point it can become a hog rather than a helpful setup.

Great and correct advice :thumbsup:

Return to “BoA2: Wars in America”