Adam Parker
Sergeant

Screenshots of unit graphics

Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:24 am

I just flipped through Bill Trotter's very long preview of the game and saw some screenshots I've never seen before.

Of all the shots seen here and there, I notice that units now have "pins" for bases - which is an interesting idea, instead of the "chess piece" look of previous games.

I also note that the posture, order, padlock icons etc., no are longer attached to the units themselves but seem to "float" in space some pixels away.

Is there an alternative unit base (I think I saw this mentioned in the game description) included in the game?

Also do the posture icons etc., really sit separately from the units themselves or are these beta screenshots?

Thanks,
Adam.

MarkShot

Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:41 am

Adam,

I think you may be missing the fact that there is a 3D counter option which you can check that changes piece style.

Regards.

Adam Parker
Sergeant

Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:08 am

Awesome Mark, that would be what I thought I read then.

Any screenshots someone could post to look at? :indien:

Is the "pin" view called "sprites"?

Thanks,
Adam.

MarkShot

Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:15 am

Sorry, cannot run the game at the moment to get screenshots of the pins versus 3D with bases.

Personally, I prefer the 2D view for informational reasons. The 2D view shows the portrait like BOA of the senior officer in the stack. The 3D view looks graphically more attractive, but fails to convey the valuable information without using the mouse and rollover text. I an "information" kind of guy. Although I suspect others maybe prefer the 3D as the overall effect like a game of miniatures is nicer.

Adam Parker
Sergeant

Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:20 am

Funny thing Mark, is that the "pin" view I've seen so far, I assumed was 3d! :niark: There's the shadow effect on the map and all.

I just thought it was a new approach by the new artist. :hat:

I wonder what players will prefer too?

MarkShot

Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:43 am

Here you go:

Hell Patrol
Lieutenant

Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:52 am

I'm loving the new 3-D graphics, the whole package is so very impressive. I was worried when i heard Robin was leaving but this is just one gorgeous game, you just don't get such phenomonal gameplay AND graphics these days :coeurs: .
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
Henry David Thoreau

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Adam Parker
Sergeant

Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:52 am

Ah so!

Thank you kind sir.

Definitely a beautiful feel with both - each looking extremely playable.

I have immense respect for great artists.

:hat: :hat:

Sol Invictus

Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:01 am

I am loving the 3-D unit graphics. :fleurs:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

flintlock
Captain

Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:08 am

The graphics of this game are impressive. I find both the 2D and 3D very well drawn and equally effective.

Tirailleur
Private

Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:27 am

Yes, I like both graphics, too. :coeurs:

But I must admit, that i find the bases of the 3D graphics a little bit to big, 'cause they hide to much from the location.

It would be good, if you can turn the bases on and off. Or similar with the STRG-key, where you can see the base by holding down a key and it disappears by not holding.

So I like the 2D graphics a little bit more, 'cause you have the impression to know the exactly position of the unit.

It's wonderful to have both options...

Adam Parker
Sergeant

Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:02 pm

Well I've had a look at the graphics in game with the tutorial now and I think I'm on the fence with the new look.

I don't quite get the idea of the 3d base-look with the non-descript soldiers. Many face the wrong way on map and they reveal little of their purpose.

As for the new "pin" look, IMO the gererals' portraits seems a bit oversized for utility.

Why the 3d option couldn't just put the generals' portraits on the 3d round base I don't know :confused:

That said, the new art will take some getting used to. But I'll hold my final opinion until getting my new 20" LCD and playing at 1600x1200 rather than 1280x1024.

I hope BoA Gold is going with the current BoA art and look.

Adlertag

Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:46 pm

Tirailleur wrote:But I must admit, that i find the bases of the 3D graphics a little bit to big, 'cause they hide to much from the location.

So I like the 2D graphics a little bit more, 'cause you have the impression to know the exactly position of the unit.

I agree with you, it's what I said in early stage of beta test about 3D base size and then you'll sometimes find difficult to locate exactly a specific unit.
Minor problem indeed...
Each player will find its own preferences whether it is 3D or 2D, but IMO 2D display is much more informative and accurate (especially with generals portraits) than 3D although the last is maybe visually more "stunning".
La mort est un mur, mourir est une brèche.

Ashbery76
Sergeant

Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:06 pm

I still prefer the 2D because you can see the commanders.Now if the 3D could have actual 3D commander models in it I might change my mind.

Adlertag

Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:30 pm

Ashbery76 wrote:I still prefer the 2D because you can see the commanders.Now if the 3D could have actual 3D commander models in it I might change my mind.

I think it is not scheduled soon; furthermore sprite display in 3D is rather small and then commanders will be difficult to identify, I fear...
La mort est un mur, mourir est une brèche.

Return to “Napoleon's Campaigns”