paulferris1964
Conscript

A Few Questions....

Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:04 pm

The Austerlitz Walk-Through is a great help, but I'm confused over a couple of issues (well, many actually, but these are the most immediate!)

1) How does the synchronisation button work? Is it only applicable to army HQs / corps starting from the same region, or can it be applied to multiple corps (part of the same army HQ) moving fom different regions to arrive at the same point at the same time?

2) Is the messages screen saved in a log anywhere? It would be useful to examine this outside of the game.

Any help, gratefully appreciated!

Thanks

Paul

lightsfantastic
Colonel

Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:18 pm

paulferris1964 wrote:
2) Is the messages screen saved in a log anywhere? It would be useful to examine this outside of the game.

Any help, gratefully appreciated!

Thanks

Paul

2.) You can look in the NCP\Logs Folder, but I think the messages would be all mixed together in the Main Log file.

arsan

Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:21 pm

paulferris1964 wrote:The Austerlitz Walk-Through is a great help, but I'm confused over a couple of issues (well, many actually, but these are the most immediate!)

1) How does the synchronisation button work? Is it only applicable to army HQs / corps starting from the same region, or can it be applied to multiple corps (part of the same army HQ) moving fom different regions to arrive at the same point at the same time?

Hi!
Yes, it works only with army/corps who begin on the same region.
The other kind of coordination wouldn´t be very historical, i think.
Too sophisticated and complex to achieve with the communications systems of the time.

Cheers!

paulferris1964
Conscript

Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:36 pm

arsan wrote:Hi!
Yes, it works only with army/corps who begin on the same region.
The other kind of coordination wouldn´t be very historical, i think.
Too sophisticated and complex to achieve with the communications systems of the time.

Cheers!

Thanks arsan, but isn't that exactly what Napoleon did? Moving his corps on separate lines of communication (separate forces, if you like) and then concentrating them before battle?

Kev_uk
Colonel

Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:58 pm

I think I read in the manual, or could have been the tutorial that the sync move command also applies to Corps movement, but I have been unable to get this to work. It only works with Army HQ and associated Corps in same region, not Corps/Corps.

arsan

Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:31 am

paulferris1964 wrote:Thanks arsan, but isn't that exactly what Napoleon did? Moving his corps on separate lines of communication (separate forces, if you like) and then concentrating them before battle?

Hi!

Yes, but i think the region sizes on NCP are big enough to represent several corps on parallel advance routes on just one region.
If i remember right the theory behind the Napoleon's corp "batallion carre" was to have each corps at 1 or 2 day march one from the other so they can support each other when the enemy was encountered by one of the corps.
I think this one day march distance its represented on game as just 1 region.

Also, on the defensive, you also have the "March to the guns" system to mimic the concentration on battle from corps on adyacent regions.

Kev-uk:
I´m not 100% sure, but i think the army HQ needs to be involved on the synchronisation. You can left out some corps, but you need the army HQ.
At least, on the AACW game. I have not played NCP much, but i think its the same.

Regards!

ltr213
Captain

Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:01 am

The Synch Move command requires that the Army HQ be present in the region. You give the Army HQ the Synch Move command along with any other Corps you wish to coordinate.

Move the Army HQ to the intended region and you'll notice that the Synched Corps are coming along for the ride.

The intent of the Synch Move command is to allow the Army HQ to coordinate a multi-corps movement such that the Corps arrive at a given location at the same time.

Again, in order for this to work, the Army HQ and Corps need to begin the turn in the same region.

Paul -- If you have other questions you can always email me at laurence@laurencerussell.com and I'll try to answer them for you.

Laurence

Rafiki

Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:08 am

arsan wrote:Also, on the defensive, you also have the "March to the guns" system to mimic the concentration on battle from corps on adyacent regions.

I imagined that marching to the sound of the guns also worked on the offensive, though the probable lack of military control makes it less likely?
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

arsan

Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:19 pm

Rafiki wrote:I imagined that marching to the sound of the guns also worked on the offensive, though the probable lack of military control makes it less likely?

Yes you are right. It also works when you attack. I didn't relaize :bonk:
But on game i mostly see it working when i'm defending.
Regards

Arnaud_Bouis
Sergeant

Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:00 pm

> Thanks arsan, but isn't that exactly what Napoleon did? Moving his corps on separate lines of communication (separate forces, if you like) and then concentrating them before battle?

That's what he did indeed. He issued very detailed orders to his corps commanders, telling them where to be and at what hour. He always aimed to have French corps on his opponent's line of retreat before his main body struck for the great battle.

It worked sometimes... but not always (depended on the reliability of the corps commander and on terrain) : Lefebvre and Ney in Spain, Ney in Poland, d'Erlon at Ligny, etc, etc..
When this didn't work, it spoiled his well-laid manoeuvres.

The biggest problem I have with this otherwise great game is that you can't do it. And as the system is very liberal for retreats, it is useless to place a corps behind the enemy (this would normally cause a panic).

paulferris1964
Conscript

Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:12 pm

ltr213 wrote:The Synch Move command requires that the Army HQ be present in the region. You give the Army HQ the Synch Move command along with any other Corps you wish to coordinate.

Move the Army HQ to the intended region and you'll notice that the Synched Corps are coming along for the ride.

The intent of the Synch Move command is to allow the Army HQ to coordinate a multi-corps movement such that the Corps arrive at a given location at the same time.

Again, in order for this to work, the Army HQ and Corps need to begin the turn in the same region.

Paul -- If you have other questions you can always email me at laurence@laurencerussell.com and I'll try to answer them for you.

Laurence

Many thanks Laurence - will do!

Kev_uk
Colonel

Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:55 pm

If you use the tool tip over the sync movement button, its quite confusing. It explains about Army/Corps, but then says two or more Corps of the same army can use it to move in sync?

This is what confused me originally with the game.

Uxbridge
Corporal

Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:18 am

What confuses me the most is how to de-select a unit moving synchronized. I've tried several times to un-click the sync-move button, giving the unit a new, different order, only to see it truggle along with the rest anyway.

I've also tried to give the general order first (Army HQ-order), then move the departing unit slightly out of the stack (keeping it in the area still) and then giving it new orders. Sometimes it works; sometimes not.

What should one do?

Return to “Napoleon's Campaigns”