gwgardner
Brigadier General

resources

Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:07 pm

What are your favorite books on the Napoleonic era?

Some years ago I read a three-volume narrative of the era, with a focus on the military campaigns. I liken it to Shelby Foote's work on the ACW, in that it was a very readable but in depth narrative. But I can't remember the name. Does it ring a bell with anyone?

I'd like something to make the game come alive even more.

bbriley
Lieutenant

Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:35 am

gwgardner wrote:What are your favorite books on the Napoleonic era?

Some years ago I read a three-volume narrative of the era, with a focus on the military campaigns. I liken it to Shelby Foote's work on the ACW, in that it was a very readable but in depth narrative. But I can't remember the name. Does it ring a bell with anyone?

I'd like something to make the game come alive even more.

The Campaigns of Napoleon (Hardcover), by David G. Chandler might fill the bill - but it is horribly expensive.
The Napoleonic Wars (Smithsonian History of Warfare) (Smithsonian History of Warfare) (Paperback), by Gunther Rothenberg - shorter and much less expensive.
Napoleon's Road to Glory (Hardcover) by J. David Markham (Author). Gets great reviews - focuses more on the man involved in all this, rather than all the gory details of the battles.
BobR in New Mexico, USA
--
"Let there be peace on earth, and let it begin with me." This is our function, our challenge, our fulfillment - and our inheritance, to accept and to share.

Return to “Napoleon's Campaigns”