Hobbes

Problems with region control

Sun May 10, 2009 2:20 pm

Just a nice to have. A flag per side that a scenario designer could set to give immediate 100% military control of a region if only friendly units exist in the region.

Reason I mention this - in the Pontiac scenario small British outposts deep in Indian territory are taken by the Indians and the scenario shows the objective is controlled by the Indian player giving VP - however the British still have 65% control of the region and if the Indian player leaves the region he will then lose the VP. He has to keep a unit there until the control % is in the Indian favour.

Not many players would know this and it could prove frustrating to players.
(And I wonder what the AI does in a position like this?)

Cheers, Chris

Gray_Lensman

Sun May 10, 2009 2:36 pm

deleted

Hobbes

Sun May 10, 2009 2:52 pm

Gray_Lensman wrote:I took care of a similar issue in AACW regarding Forts. It was done using event scripting. See the AACW_DB_VariousEvents.xls database file. In the examples in that database, I tested for EvalRgnOwned, then if it was owned by a particular side, I made other necessary tests/adjustments, in that case it was to instantly adjust Loyalty to 100%, but the same could be done for Military Control.

You would not want this in "ALL" regions in a scenario, just special VP, objective, or Fort regions, so there is no need for the game engine to be burdened with a flag for all the regions.

Good point Gray. The thought of making an event for each region I think was hovering in the back of my mind - there are 10 or so regions that I could do this for. I suppose I worry about slowing down the turn resolution but with all the events I have so far it is still fairly quick so I will add an event for each region to change control. Also a message telling the player that the region is now under 100% Indian control.

Thanks, Chris

Edit: For future modders. There is no need to add a message for this as the game automatically gives a message when the control of a region changes to zero.

Hobbes

Mon May 11, 2009 9:58 am

Is there a command to change region control? I tried ChangeControl 100 but it did nothing.

Cheers, Chris

Hobbes

Mon May 11, 2009 8:53 pm

I have a feeling there is no change control command. So the change loyalty subroutine could just be copied and pasted and the region loyalty variable replaced with the region control variable. Simple change to be added to the next WiA patch. A change that could be useful for all AGEOD games :) (I know there may be far more to it than that but I thought I may as well suggest it).

Cheers, Chris

lodilefty

Tue May 12, 2009 1:44 am

Try:
SetControl = 100
as seen in WIA_inc_Indians55_verxxx.xls evt_nam_Mohawk_FRA for example
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

Hobbes

Tue May 12, 2009 7:57 am

lodilefty wrote:Try:
SetControl = 100
as seen in WIA_inc_Indians55_verxxx.xls evt_nam_Mohawk_FRA for example

Thanks Lodi, I'll give it a shot.
Cheers, Chris

Hobbes

Sat May 16, 2009 7:17 pm

Hi chaps, can anyone see anything wrong with the attached?
The attached event fires but there is no change in the region control.

It's a simple event - interesting to see if anyone can get it to work.
The EvalRgnStruc bit could be removed. Can you change region control?

Thanks, Chris

Edit: if anyone reading this has the same problem but doesn't have access to the WiA beta forum, the solution is to have two SetContol commands. One to set side1 to 100 and another to set side2 to zero.
Attachments

[The extension xls has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Primasprit

Sun May 17, 2009 12:36 pm

Hi Chris,

please check if this helps: http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=14351

Cheers
Norbert :cwboy:

Return to “Modding AGE engine games”