marecone

Playing Struggle for a vast future

Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:37 pm

I started playing this mod few weeks ago and feel in love with it after first few hours :coeurs: .
I will now start playing and will write notes and possible bugs here in order to help Clovis to make it even better.

I will also try to play a bit different then I used to. I will use every general, no matter how bad he is, in at least one battle. This will simulate Lincoln's situation as he didn',t now the stats of generals ;) .
Bad one star generals will have to be in at least on battle before they will be sent deeper in homeland :neener: . 2 starts 2 battles and 3 starts 3 battles. Thought of Banks and Butler in command of 6 battles scares me even now.

Every now and then I will post a pic or two.
Forrest said something about killing a Yankee for each of his horses that they shot. In the last days of the war, Forrest had killed 30 of the enemy and had 30 horses shot from under him. In a brief but savage conflict, a Yankee soldier "saw glory for himself" with an opportunity to kill the famous Confederate General... Forrest killed the fellow. Making 31 Yankees personally killed, and 30 horses lost...

He remarked, "I ended the war a horse ahead."

marecone

Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:58 pm

This is not an isolated event and it happens every time. Hope this one will not take too much of your time ;) .
BTW, I LOVE this new Kentucky option :coeurs: . Adds so much to the game :thumbsup:

Godspeed
Forrest said something about killing a Yankee for each of his horses that they shot. In the last days of the war, Forrest had killed 30 of the enemy and had 30 horses shot from under him. In a brief but savage conflict, a Yankee soldier "saw glory for himself" with an opportunity to kill the famous Confederate General... Forrest killed the fellow. Making 31 Yankees personally killed, and 30 horses lost...

Clovis

Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:35 pm

marecone wrote:Image

This is not an isolated event and it happens every time. Hope this one will not take too much of your time ;) .
BTW, I LOVE this new Kentucky option :coeurs: . Adds so much to the game :thumbsup:

Godspeed

There's a flaw in the design of the events advertising as it fires each turn. Fixed for the next upload. Thanks
[LEFT]Disabled
[CENTER][LEFT]
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]SVF news: http://struggleformodding.wordpress.com/

[/LEFT]
[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

marecone

Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:22 pm

Game going great. Johnston made a move and went from HF into PA and is near Lancaster now. Making 3 light industries every turn. If something changes then industrialization stays in that state and if it doesn't I shift it to new state.

marecone

Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:37 pm

Johnston went back to Winchester. It was just a show off. I like that. PGT wen south from Manassass as I have sent reinforcements to Butler. Guess he was afraid that was a landing party and plan to get to Richmond via Monroe. He did left enough men at Manassass not to lose it. McDowell won draw wich is great. Can't wait to see what will happen next.

marecone

Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:25 am

I got both HF and Manassass. I beleive I have never manage to do this so early. My morale stands at 122 and rebs have 100. AI is playing ok and I am very satisfied. Difference in morale is here because I got lucky nit because of the bad AI moves.

Clovis

Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:30 am

marecone wrote:I got both HF and Manassass. I beleive I have never manage to do this so early. My morale stands at 122 and rebs have 100. AI is playing ok and I am very satisfied. Difference in morale is here because I got lucky nit because of the bad AI moves.

Yes the Manassas loss is creating a large difference in NM. The Beauregard's move isn't usual though. Now, the attraction CSA AI has for Ft Monroe is a strong one. We'll see if something has to be tweaked. Now forward to Richmond... ;)
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

marecone

Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:45 am

Current situation in east. Banks moved to Winchester and rebel command withdrew to join PGT I guess. He came back north but McD alrady took Manassass. At the bottom of the pick there is another bug in events. 51/57.

I have started too strong with cavalry raids. Got many enemy towns including Fayetevill in west where I have destroyed depot. This will create many problems to Price that is in Springfield as I doubt he will get much supplies. Perhaps I should have limited myself with cavalry. Guess so :bonk:

Clovis

Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:49 am

Current situation in east. Banks moved to Winchester and rebel command withdrew to join PGT I guess. He came back north but McD alrady took Manassass. At the bottom of the pick there is another bug in events. 51/57.

I have started too strong with cavalry raids. Got many enemy towns including Fayetevill in west where I have destroyed depot. This will create many problems to Price that is in Springfield as I doubt he will get much supplies. Perhaps I should have limited myself with cavalry. Guess so :bonk:

The next AACW patch should solve the long raid problem...That's why I suspended my own efforts on this point...
Fixed the event missing string.BTW, this event gives you a -12 NM penalty to fail to put an army around Richmond afetr taking Manassas. Northern public opinion is hard to satisfy... ;)

The motives beyong my Manassas and Richmond events are based on the belief both sides shared the war to be solved by an unique large battle. Both sides expected to win easily it and public opinion were pressing officials to take offensive.

Manassas was then a symbol/ CSA couldn't leave it without accusations of cowardice, Union had to beat the CSA army standing here.

If Union had won at Manassas, the opinion would have exiged Richmond to be taken immediatly. Failing to do so would have created the same quarrels CSA experienced after 1st Bull Run about The lack of advance on Washington.

Thanks.
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

marecone

Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:06 am

2 text errors here as well. BTW, PGT moved to Shenondoah valley. I am not sure about his strenght but he is in a dangerous position between McD and Banks. My guess is that he will go after Banks.

As for long raids perhaps Union should be limited. If possible one region uder enemy control (red) or perhaps 2. And perhaps until 1863. Something like that if it is doable.

Like your thinking about Manassass-Richmond stuff :thumbsup: .

Clovis

Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:13 am

2 text errors here as well. BTW, PGT moved to Shenondoah valley. I am not sure about his strenght but he is in a dangerous position between McD and Banks. My guess is that he will go after Banks.

As for long raids perhaps Union should be limited. If possible one region uder enemy control (red) or perhaps 2. And perhaps until 1863. Something like that if it is doable.

Like your thinking about Manassass-Richmond stuff :thumbsup: .

Poor Banks... Don't forget he gets negative tactical values...and on other hand by random events, some gains in seniority. Political generals are rather difficult to overcome.

McDowell has the slow move attribute.

And Beauregard's force may change its direction.. I saw it sometimes...

strings fixed.
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

marecone

Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:38 am

In pic one we have one McD too many. Second one came by event "McD back in command". I am not sure how McClellans event works but perhaps he should have come to McD place and in command of Army in east. If that was supposed to happen, it didn't.

In second pick we have PGT. He went somewhere north. Winter is here and Banks can wipe him out. Not sure if this is strange AI behavior or no but I have a feeling he went beserk after losing Manassass.

Really enjoying this :coeurs: . Like I am back in old days when I was a bug hunter for original version :D

Clovis

Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:44 am

In pic one we have one McD too many. Second one came by event "McD back in command". I am not sure how McClellans event works but perhaps he should have come to McD place and in command of Army in east. If that was supposed to happen, it didn't.

In second pick we have PGT. He went somewhere north. Winter is here and Banks can wipe him out. Not sure if this is strange AI behavior or no but I have a feeling he went beserk after losing Manassass.

Really enjoying this :coeurs: . Like I am back in old days when I was a bug hunter for original version :D

Could you send me the script report file of this turn? It will help me with McDowell. The script is rather complex and there's certainly something wrong in one of the possible outcomes.

We'll see for Beauregard. Sometime the CSA AI is attracted by West Virginia. In any case, the last version I've just uploaded should tone down AI offensive moves in winter. The AI log file would help me too.
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

marecone

Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:45 am

I have attached ziped folder with saves. You can go back 3 turns so if this will help here it is. I am done for today.

Godspeed

[color="Red"]P.S. Added script report. Hope this is the one[/color]
Attachments

[The extension txt has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Copy of 1861 Clovis0.zip
(2.75 MiB) Downloaded 215 times

Clovis

Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:56 am

marecone wrote:I have attached ziped folder with saves. You can go back 3 turns so if this will help here it is. I am done for today.

Godspeed

P.S. Added script report. Hope this is the one

Yes.

McDowell fixed.
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

marecone

Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:12 am

That was fast :thumbsup: . Regarding rebs and west virginia, something similar happened to me before. They seem to like Grafton and once they went even further in my previous games.

Clovis

Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:11 am

marecone wrote:That was fast :thumbsup: . Regarding rebs and west virginia, something similar happened to me before. They seem to like Grafton and once they went even further in my previous games.

It was simple As I've just forgotten to reserve the MC Dowell event for AI only.
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

marecone

Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:09 am

I will update to the last patch you made. If you don't want me to do it please let me know. I will keep my save and keep playing it. As for west virginia perhaps rebs should be guard what they have and only raid there. Moving large army across those mountains would be insaine imho.
Looking forward to countinue today.

Edit: I forgot to remind you to change pic of rodman if that was planed.

Clovis

Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:47 am

marecone wrote:I will update to the last patch you made. If you don't want me to do it please let me know. I will keep my save and keep playing it. As for west virginia perhaps rebs should be guard what they have and only raid there. Moving large army across those mountains would be insaine imho.
Looking forward to countinue today.

Edit: I forgot to remind you to change pic of rodman if that was planed.

Rodman change is done.

After looking the files? I don't think Beauregard to go in WV... ;)
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

marecone

Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:40 pm

Everything updated. Winter came. Everything plays fine. Ofcourse :D I have found one little bug.

Clovis

Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:53 pm

marecone wrote:Everything updated. Winter came. Everything plays fine. Ofcourse :D I have found one little bug.

Why? the name is telling by itself :mdr:

For the next patch. This one is exshausting fast the region so the army needs to be supplied by the rear...
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

marecone

Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:57 pm

:) Prepare yourself for next set ;)

marecone

Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:59 pm

Probably easy to fix. I have kept an old save and applied your latest patch so perhaps that is the problem.

marecone

Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:01 pm

IMHO Rebs are acting strange. Winchester is still in their hands but PGT is still marching headless around Harisburg. One raiding party of divisional size up north. Maybe nothing important but I thought you would like to check it out.

marecone

Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:03 pm

Banks and Winchester :bonk: . 17 to 1 ration and he loses. He can be bad leader but so bad :blink: . Anyway after the battle ration grew to 170 to 1 wich is even worse but my boys withdrew from the region.
As I said before perhaps auto victory should be achived if ration is bigger then 5 to 1.

Clovis

Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:05 pm

marecone wrote:Probably easy to fix. I have kept an old save and applied your latest patch so perhaps that is the problem.

No. one yet more string to add...
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

marecone

Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:05 pm

I won here but didn't take the city. It turns out that those 70 survivors are still defending.
If we want realism then perhaps this rebel regiment should have surrendered as it lost more then 90% of men in one battle.

marecone

Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:07 pm

There. Let me know what files you need and I will post them. Past midnight in Croatia and I am working tommorow :( .

Clovis

Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:07 pm

marecone wrote:Banks and Winchester :bonk: . 17 to 1 ration and he loses. He can be bad leader but so bad :blink: . Anyway after the battle ration grew to 170 to 1 wich is even worse but my boys withdrew from the region.
As I said before perhaps auto victory should be achived if ration is bigger then 5 to 1.

Send me the battle file. Did you have only one stack under Banks at Winchester? Or have you sent some small reinforcments with attack posture? If the second case, Whatever the screen says, only this small force attacked...

There's too the frontage effect. Winter has reduced the max mumber one side may engage so the numerical advantage is maybe less important than it seems.

Last, how high was the cohesion of US troops? A low one may have accelerated disengagment.
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

Clovis

Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:10 pm

marecone wrote:I won here but didn't take the city. It turns out that those 70 survivors are still defending.
If we want realism then perhaps this rebel regiment should have surrendered as it lost more then 90% of men in one battle.

There's a problem with fixed units. Whatever the results, fixed units doesn't retreat in the turn they are attacked... An AGE problem. You got unlucky on this one.
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

Return to “AACW Mods”