Clovis

Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:28 pm

Yes the AI has made a good 61 year. There's yet for both sides a large tendancy to prefer West (MO, AR) to Heartlands ( TN, KY) but I'm about to implement new events to help Ai to keep better focused on the eastern Mississipi bend.
[LEFT]Disabled
[CENTER][LEFT]
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]SVF news: http://struggleformodding.wordpress.com/

[/LEFT]
[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

Big Muddy

Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:39 pm

Clovis, you did something to the baloons in the new CSA AI didn't you. I'm just curious because I've lost a few thus far.

Clovis

Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:44 pm

Big Muddy wrote:Clovis, you did something to the baloons in the new CSA AI didn't you. I'm just curious because I've lost a few thus far.

Reduced their evasion value. A balloon was then dependant of a large apparatus on the ground and ballons were permanently relied to the ground...

[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

marecone

Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:59 pm

still havong problems. Can countinue with error loging. It says something about bragg. It repeats in next turn As well.
Forrest said something about killing a Yankee for each of his horses that they shot. In the last days of the war, Forrest had killed 30 of the enemy and had 30 horses shot from under him. In a brief but savage conflict, a Yankee soldier "saw glory for himself" with an opportunity to kill the famous Confederate General... Forrest killed the fellow. Making 31 Yankees personally killed, and 30 horses lost...

He remarked, "I ended the war a horse ahead."

Big Muddy

Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:00 pm

[quote="Clovis"]Reduced their evasion value. A balloon was then dependant of a large apparatus on the ground and ballons were permanently relied to the ground...

Image[/QUOTE

I wasn't aware of this, judging from the picture the apparatus supplied air to the ballons? What was the their range, do you know. So I can understand why you did this. In the later stages of the war, was there any improvements, (hint).

Clovis

Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:14 pm

marecone wrote:still havong problems. Can countinue with error loging. It says something about bragg. It repeats in next turn As well.

I got back to the last turn and played your last turn again. the bug disappeared... Whatever its cause, it's belonging to AI computation (nad specifically the intercept ( master) command which is until today working flawessly. Either a new Ai file in the gamedata/AI folder is misssing, either it's an AGE bug as there is much new coding manifestly at AI computation. Or there's something somewhere in SVF uncompatable with the new AI work...

Bragg is attempting to intercept union unit in the fort...so maybe the trouble comes from this...
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

Clovis

Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:21 pm

Big Muddy wrote:

I wasn't aware of this, judging from the picture the apparatus supplied air to the ballons? What was the their range, do you know. So I can understand why you did this. In the later stages of the war, was there any improvements, (hint).

No range. permanently relied to the ground with a wire cable to transpit information:

[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

Clovis

Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:20 pm

Marecone, tell waht is your current turn and I will send you the new events files tailored for your CSA AI. New tweaks seems to be working great on the Union AI side to focuse it less on Missuori. I would know if the same for CSA AI.
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

marecone

Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:43 am

Game turn 20. Don't forget to send instructions ;)
Thanks
Forrest said something about killing a Yankee for each of his horses that they shot. In the last days of the war, Forrest had killed 30 of the enemy and had 30 horses shot from under him. In a brief but savage conflict, a Yankee soldier "saw glory for himself" with an opportunity to kill the famous Confederate General... Forrest killed the fellow. Making 31 Yankees personally killed, and 30 horses lost...

Clovis

Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:29 am

marecone wrote:Game turn 20. Don't forget to send instructions ;)
Thanks

Here's for you. Just unzip the 2 files in the zip in the SVF/events folder. The event will fire at the end of february 62.
Attachments
Events.zip
(34.93 KiB) Downloaded 239 times
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

Clovis

Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:53 am

For others: version 1.00 is close. a few days yet. With the help of some, I'm fixing the remaining bugs in events ( a very few now) but as is the Current version is really the final one.

2 years of work but a real plesure I've currently to play it against Union AI. I will certailny win but I reached my objective: being forced to play with care against the AI.

I'm thrilled to the idea to do some PBEM in the next week against Someone with SVF . Should be a real game experience , at least I hope.

Progress has been slow mainly because I feel you can't really mod correctly without playing the game. You can't mod too without taking into account esential parameters like side effects and mainly AI reaction to change. Implementing a change for historicity without testing it before, not only to look after human gameplay but AI behaviour too is just taking too much risk with pleasure.

Gaming is a pleasure, modding a work. I like gaming, I dislike working. This one long term experiment with AACW modding has never lost of sight the final aim was my pleasure to play AACW.

I thank anyone who helped me.

The AGE engine is a really fantastic one. On a whole life, I've never seen before such a good model, with continuous improvments. So I'm just a dwarf on the shoulders of giants..If you ever have pleasure to play SVF, think not me. Think PhThibault and Pocus.
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

Clovis

Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:53 pm

Some points about the nexy version and the latest (today) release of AACW.exe.

I'm implementing the new mechanism permitting promotion for any General to higher rank. A really needed feature I suppose to be the results of the ungoing work on next games.

But the own system I implented since some months ago for some leader promotions to 3 star level will remain. The new engine feature just changes the General rank but he keeps his rating values to the next level. Mine, to be limited in scope, adds variability: when you're promoting Hood to Army level, you don't known how bad or good he will be. i'm very attached to this variability, because in gameplay terms it adds the uncertainty flavour player must feel when playing to the place of Jeff. DAvis or Lincoln.

About events forcing Union to go over Richmond in 1862, it's for now a big NO. because:

- AI doesn't known events. AI doesn't make a strategy based on the results of events commanding player to do this or that. A solution could be to reserve such an event to human player

- howewer, forcing Union to go here creates too much troubles for human play too. In any way, CSA knows where the Union has to go. Just for the historicity stake, we must remember the initial McClellan plan in 1862 was to debark Northern to peninsula in order to trap the CSA Army at Manassas or force it to fight back his way. It was after Johnston chosed to retreat from manassas MCCLellan proponed to debark around Ft Monroe.

The McClellan plan was contested, and accepted relunctantly by Lincoln to the condition to protect Washington. In any case, the perspective to seize Richmond wasn't sufficient to get the full acceptance of the move.

Let's imagine now the Virginia/Monitor battle finishing differently with a victory of the first. Was the plan maintened with the risk on the naval supply line? I doubt so.

So there were many contingent factors permitting an amphibious move close to Richmond. If one was lacking, McClellan would certainly have to resort to the same land road Burnside, Hooker, Meade and Grant took the next years. In such a case, Johnston could have retreated to Richmond ( and I feel he will have like for Atlanta.) But it could have been possible too to get large battles around the Rapidan and, considering McClellan way of war any battle here would have enticed him to stop his advance.

In such a case, never Union Army would have reached Richmond in 1862. We wouldn't even discussing of the necessity to focre Union player yto go after Richmond when the right strategy is to go after the main CSA Army and destroy it. And That point the Northern public opinion was aware since the Frist Bull Run.

McClellan was not even sacked for this. he was sacked for his failure to try to trap Lee after Antietiam. Not for having lost a chance to capture Richmond.

And in game term, If Union slashes the main CSA force in Virginia, he will capture Richmond and get the NM awarded by the capture. So no need to force a player to adopt a geographic strategy over the real one.

Sources: Ethan S. Rafuse McClellan's War
Stephen R Taaffe Commanding the Army of the Potomac
Sears Peninsula Campaign
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

Clovis

Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:38 am

For PBEM balance I got an idea I would like have feedback, especially critical one :mdr: because that's a very hot point where pros and cons are heavy. I would:

a) create a support unit named PBEM advantage

b) create an event based on the presence of this unit on the map ( as I've done for the KY event chain in the spring 2008)

c) this event will be the condition to fire other events giving advantages to one side: more supply, men, WSU..

d) the best would be an increase each turn of pool values in men, money,etc. Less visible and disturbing than a sudden increase in one turn.

e) the system could be refined to have several unit " chit" giving more or less bonuses. Choice would be made in first turn of the game, disabled after and an event woould prevent other side of the unit buy, to avoid any cheating.

Waht do you think?
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

Clovis

Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:31 am

Special Praise for SVF

Athena, Silicium City, Artificial Intelligence: " I never felt myself so cute as in SVF"

G.McClellan, Ohio, Army leader: " SVF is really the only mod where I feel I could take some offensive one day"

Van Dorn, Arkansas, Cavalry Leader: " I can't play SVF anymore. I just can't resign myself to be forced to think about my supply lines"

Nathan B. Forrest, Tennessee, autodidact: " It's a bloody damn mod and I like that"

Robert E Lee, Virginia, Icon of a Nation : "With SVF, I may strike these people a blow, even with Ewell and Anderson"

Ulysses S Grant, Illinois, meatgrinder : "I've unconditionnally surrendered myself to the charms of SVF mod"
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

Big Muddy

Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:19 pm

Clovis, the next update will be the final one.

Clovis

Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:43 pm

Big Muddy wrote:Clovis, the next update will be the final one.

The next will be the 1.0, ie the first playable against both AI and by PBEM. There should not be great changes after, just minor fixes if needed . I have done what i envisioned a long time ago.
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

Big Muddy

Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:03 pm

I too had a problem with turn 20, the fix worked, will this be fixed in the next update. I'm looking foward to the next update, when will it be available and will it work with save game?

Clovis

Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:27 pm

Big Muddy wrote:I too had a problem with turn 20, the fix worked, will this be fixed in the next update. I'm looking foward to the next update, when will it be available and will it work with save game?

Soon. It will work with save games.
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

Big Muddy

Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:03 pm

Clovis wrote:Soon. It will work with save games.

Will the new update be on page one, I ask because I have decided to wait for the update and start over.

What would you recommend for delayed commitment and AI detect bonus.

Clovis

Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:10 pm

Big Muddy wrote:Will the new update be on page one, I ask because I have decided to wait for the update and start over.

What would you recommend for delayed commitment and AI detect bonus.

New thread :)

Ai detect bonus: +1 or +2. I personnaly use +2 so Isuppose it to be the best for playing SVF but I'm not so sure this setting to have as much importance for AI reactions than in the past. In any way, a bonus remains necessary.

Committment delay: using myself the medium setting. After a few trying, seems to me the best to portray the difficulty to get troops on time on the battlefield.
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

Big Muddy

Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:28 pm

Thanks, I'll be looking for the new thread, hope it's coming soon, can't wait.

marecone

Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:47 pm

I have been inactive in past few days as I have lots of work on fields now. Real life.
Anyway, those files for turn 20 did not work for me and I will try to install game again from zero. Hope it will work.
As for your work Clovis; OUTSTANDING :coeurs: !!! Pocus and Philthib and Grey did a fantastic job but you have added a touch of genious and made this game even more historical and better. AI with your instructions kicks ass! I hope you will not quit with modding as you do such great job with it.

If not this mod then something different. How about Lincoln (AI playing with human) giving targets like for example; Capture Mobile, Alabama until end of 1863 or loose X morale.
If this could be random it would add endless playability. Just a thought.

Anyway, I am enjoying this game since beta and with such great people like you around this game I bet I will enjoy it for years to come.

Godspeed

Clovis

Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:08 pm

marecone wrote:I have been inactive in past few days as I have lots of work on fields now. Real life.
Anyway, those files for turn 20 did not work for me and I will try to install game again from zero. Hope it will work.
As for your work Clovis; OUTSTANDING :coeurs: !!! Pocus and Philthib and Grey did a fantastic job but you have added a touch of genious and made this game even more historical and better. AI with your instructions kicks ass! I hope you will not quit with modding as you do such great job with it.

If not this mod then something different. How about Lincoln (AI playing with human) giving targets like for example; Capture Mobile, Alabama until end of 1863 or loose X morale.
If this could be random it would add endless playability. Just a thought.

Anyway, I am enjoying this game since beta and with such great people like you around this game I bet I will enjoy it for years to come.

Godspeed

Leaving modding? Why? A s I stated a long time ago, I mod only because I need a better game experience :) . That's too why my mod has come slowly, because I played it ( then tweaked it then played it...). and what I learnt about event scripting for the AGE engine should be useful too for others AGEOD games...

For your idea: how to say? it's a very good idea but I feel reticent to implement it in SVF. I firmy believe a good bardgame or computer one has to be accuratly focused. Player has to be able to identify his place in the command chain. let's say there's always in a great wargame a touch of roleplaying distinguishing it from a good product.

AACW has this. Of course, you're moving armies, thinking operationnally on the way to capture Nashville, or you plan a raid like Stuart did. For gameplay reasons thta's unavoidable. but in the end, you'e really acting most of the time like Lincoln or Davis: choosing Generals, finding money, looking at public opinion, foreign powers friendness or hostility. I believe that's the real reason of the AACW special interest over other AGEOD products. WW1 could have this in some months. That's where Ph. Thibaut design is so unique; let's say he has an design instinct to create this roleplaying touch as naturally as Grant to force ennemy to surrender. Pocus has the unique ability to adapt, modify, craft, enlighten and add yet more to the computer...

So your point would be get in contradiction with this touch. I feel on the contrary it's maybe such events lacking in BOA2 to focuse it clearly in the role of the leader on the field...

Sorry to hear the files didn't worked. I'm reposting the last events files version here; just place them in the SVF/events folder.. this one is working for any new game.
Attachments
Events.zip
(34.87 KiB) Downloaded 182 times
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

Clovis

Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:35 pm

And for anyone doing a new SVF game I would like to know if Ai is better focusing on kentucky, tennesse aera in 1861, 62 and 62. Even a 2 words post will suffice... :)
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

Big Muddy

Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:08 pm

Clovis wrote:And for anyone doing a new SVF game I would like to know if Ai is better focusing on kentucky, tennesse aera in 1861, 62 and 62. Even a 2 words post will suffice... :)

Is the new update ready, I don't see it.

Clovis

Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:13 pm

Big Muddy wrote:Is the new update ready, I don't see it.

for now, I just posted again the 2 events files; About 75% of the new features. real full version not before a few days.
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

Big Muddy

Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:54 pm

Clovis wrote:for now, I just posted again the 2 events files; About 75% of the new features. real full version not before a few days.

Does this iclude the new General's feature?

Clovis

Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:00 am

Big Muddy wrote:Does this iclude the new General's feature?

No. If you want, palce this in the SVF/ Gamedata folder.
Attachments
Models.zip
(816.13 KiB) Downloaded 202 times
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

Big Muddy

Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:10 am

Clovis wrote:No. If you want, palce this in the SVF/ Gamedata folder.

Thanks, I'll take it for a spin later.

Big Muddy

Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:40 pm

Clovis wrote:And for anyone doing a new SVF game I would like to know if Ai is better focusing on kentucky, tennesse aera in 1861, 62 and 62. Even a 2 words post will suffice... :)

I'm only in November '61, there is some CSA movement in KY/TN, small forces are moving into cities. Overall I notice more movement in the south as a whole compaired to previous versions. Right now other forces are heading North from western KY/TN towards Cairo, which leads me to my main concern, Missouri.

It's been so long since I've played vanilla I decided to play a couple of months and just capture Jefferson and Rolla to see what effect this would have on loyalty. It rose to 73%, (start's at 63%), after doing the same in SVF it has actually gone down. Once I reached October, again I am unable to build Bde's, all other are possible . I went from starting w/61% to 56 then 55 where it is currently at. When you get a chance can you check on this, thanks.

Return to “AACW Mods”