Rocketman
Civilian

Playing one nation?

Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:49 pm

Is it possible to edit the scenario to play just one country? I really like the style and stuff of this game but I can't handle the managing of so many countries.

JMass
Corporal

Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:02 am

Rocketman wrote:Is it possible to edit the scenario to play just one country?

Yes, you must edit the files Headers<year>.inc and Players<year>.inc in GI\Data\Dictionary\<year>.
"Oh my lords, my brothers, my sons, the everlasting honour of Christians is in your hands."
[SIZE="1"]Αυτοκράτορ Κωνσταντίνος ΙΑ' Δραγάσης Παλαιολόγος[/size]

Now playing, testing or modding: AJE-BoR, Ancient Warfare, CMBN, CMFI, CTGW, FoG, RUS, Squad Battles, WWII-Europe
Idling: a lot of games

Rocketman
Civilian

Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:01 am

Thanks!

sniedermeier
Conscript

Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:02 am

What do you have to mod them to?

dreamer
Civilian

Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:07 pm

bump. what do you have to edit them to?

WallysWorld
Captain

Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:00 am

This is what I did to play just the Franks as the Red player for the Grand Campaign:

In the HeaderGDC.inc file:

BeginPlayerHeader
Name=[IDS_RED]
PlayerId=2000
Human=No
Remote=No
MainNation=0
BeginStartingNations
BeginStateHeader
Tag=FRA
BidBonus=0
BidCost=0
Notes=Start Nation
EndStateHeader
EndStartingNations

In the PlayersGDC.inc file:

BeginPlayer
ID=2000
Player=[IDS_RED],LocalAI
Points=0
BeginStates
State=FRA
EndStates
EndPlayer

In other words, choose the color you want to play, edit the two files to remove the nations you don't want to play for that color and then add the one nation you wish to play.

dreamer
Civilian

Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:47 am

thx!

Franciscus

Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:07 pm

Resurrecting an old thread with a question:

I understand WallysWorld instructions on how to change the files in order for a color having only one player. But what about the other nations of that color that we delete from these files (in the said example, ROM, BYZ, IRL, CAT)? Do we have to insert them in the other "colors" sections ? Or are they automatically taken care by the AI ??
Is this for the historical "preset" only or for all types of game ?

Thanks in advance :)

Franciscus

Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:19 pm

Well, I think I can partially answer my own question. :bonk: A few modding experiments show that is remarkably easy to create additional scenarios with only one nation, either for one or for any number or the players. (I may post some soon :D ) The non-player nations "seem" to work OK, but I am not 100% sure yet. The real question (Calvinus ?) would be: the non-player assigned nations (even if empires) would be dealt by the AI as "minor" ones are ? Will they get any negative handicap for not being assigned to a color ?

Regards

Palpat
Colonel

Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:49 pm

No strategems perhaps?

Franciscus

Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:57 pm

Palpat wrote:No strategems perhaps?

That's what I fear, yes :( .

If true (Calvinus ??), maybe a solution would be to drop the other nations that we do not want to play in other "colors" - but would the AI be able to handle all of them ?

calvinus

Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:30 am

Franciscus wrote:If true (Calvinus ??), maybe a solution would be to drop the other nations that we do not want to play in other "colors" - but would the AI be able to handle all of them ?

I do not remember if the AI-driven nations of human players are able to play stratagems... you can make a try...

If not, you have to edit a scenario with only one nation, giving to others all to AI players. But this will do a totally unbalanced game! :(

Franciscus

Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:56 am

Thank you Calvinus for taking time to answer. Hope your vacations went well :)

calvinus wrote:I do not remember if the AI-driven nations of human players are able to play stratagems... you can make a try...

That's not "exactly" the problem, because said nations would not "belong" to any player, human or AI - for example, I modded the AD450 scenario to have only as playable (1 nation each color) the Angles, Saxons, Britons, Jutes. What happens to all other nations that have no color assigned ?. Related to this question is my ignorance - I do not remember if the stratagems are assigned to colors or to nations ? (probably in the manual, but at the moment it is not available...) :love:
Other problem is how to be sure if a nation not controlled by us has stratagems and play them ? is there any log that we can see in the saved files ??

calvinus wrote:If not, you have to edit a scenario with only one nation, giving to others all to AI players. But this will do a totally unbalanced game! :(

That would not be a problem per se, because i do not play to win VP, but to have fun recreating History - and it s more convenient sometimes to be able to focus just on one nation. :wacko:

calvinus

Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:04 am

Nations should belong to one player, at least. Otherwise they are not AI-driven, and so they do nothing. :(

So my advice is that you first select the player and you mod the scenario in order to have only him as one-nation player, assigning the removed nation to the other AI players.

Franciscus

Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:55 pm

calvinus wrote:Nations should belong to one player, at least. Otherwise they are not AI-driven, and so they do nothing. :(

That's what I feared :(

Nevertheless, when you say they do "nothing" you are referring to stratagems, no ?. Because in another tentative "Empires" 350 mod I made (with single-nation players of ERE, WIS, PER, SUE), I played a few months with the Visigoths and at least the Ostrogoths (that did not belenged to any "player" attacked me, made peace with ERE, etc) :blink:

calvinus

Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:59 pm

Franciscus wrote:Nevertheless, when you say they do "nothing" you are referring to stratagems, no ?. Because in another tentative "Empires" 350 mod I made (with single-nation players of ERE, WIS, PER, SUE), I played a few months with the Visigoths and at least the Ostrogoths (that did not belenged to any "player" attacked me, made peace with ERE, etc) :blink:

Mmmhh... I recall there's some sort of AI for not-player-aligned nations, indeed...

Gray_Lensman

Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:03 pm

deleted

Franciscus

Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:28 pm

Gray_Lensman wrote:Franciscus:

Would you be able to post your modified file? I'd appreciate it if you would. Thanks.

Hello Gray :hat: . Sorry for a late answer, but real life is...real :D

Attached my 2 mods: One for an AD 450 campaign with each player controlling only one nation: Angles, Saxons, Britons, Jutes, and another for a GDC campaign with each player controlling ERE, WIS, PER, SUE, respectively. Just unzip it to your Great Invasions directory: they should go to Data\Dictionary, and do not replace any of the original campaigns (but you know much more than me about zipping and extracting files...:thumbsup :) .
But I have not tested them thoroughly, far from it (I decided to buckle up and I am currently playing a green GDC :) ), and it is almost certain that some problems will appear, at least balancing ones and the fact that non-player (human or AI) nations will not play stratagems.

Regards
Attachments
Single Player.zip
(107.72 KiB) Downloaded 341 times

Gray_Lensman

Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:43 am

deleted

Franciscus

Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:28 am

Gray_Lensman wrote:Thanks Franciscus.

I pretty much found out by trial and error that it took modification of BOTH the Header*.inc and Player*.inc files. Header*.inc only seemed to affect the starting menu choices while the Player*.inc actually implemented the changes in-game. Now to come up with some interesting pair-ups... My first idea was "overwhelming", to say the least. I had reorganized the "Red" player in the GDC to only include the Western Roman Empire, Eastern Roman Empire, and Catholic Church and reassigned the Irish Principalities and Franks to other colors thinking to just hold the Christianized Roman Empire together... LOL, was I ever overwhelmed with event messages... I think I need to start "smaller" first...

Yes, even a "single" one of the Roman Empires is pretty overwhelming, at least to me, and due to the "real time" type of game. I am planning to gain some experience with barbarians first :dada: , before I tackle the Eastern Roman Empire.

As a side note, I am continuing to notice a quirk in my ongoing (a matter of speech - I began in 350 and am only in 362 :mdr :) GDC as green player (only Alamani activated so far). Nepotianus is WRE and Julianus is ERE in the Diplo screens. But I just defeated a WR army led by Merwig (:confused :) that was identified as the ruler of his nation in his shield ( :confused: :confused :) . I thouroughly defeated him and he simply disappeared, though...
Maybe this is related to the bug reported by Palpat ?
Nevertheless, it is a minor thing.

Palpat
Colonel

Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:48 pm

Franciscus wrote:But I just defeated a WR army led by Merwig (:confused :) that was identified as the ruler of his nation in his shield ( :confused: :confused :) . I thouroughly defeated him and he simply disappeared, though...
Maybe this is related to the bug reported by Palpat ?
Nevertheless, it is a minor thing.

It is indeed. Something is messed up with WRE monarchs/leader. Hence my frankish dynasty, the roman resurgence, and the Frankish comeback. Each events happening when reloading the game...

Return to “Great Invasions”