Attilathehamburgerbun
Civilian

Noob questions

Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:55 pm

Just got the game and must say despite an unfriendly interface, I am quite enjoying myself. Just started the grand campaign and have been toying with it my copy of Gibbons Rise and Fall close by. I do have some questions to stuff I cannot figure out and have had no luck researching it in the documentation and the net:

1. Do you receive new stratagems beyond those that new leaders and events bring? Can I use them with impunity or should I hoard them for a rainy day?
2. One of my nations (the Irish) can't do anything. They only have garrisons and can't build anything. Do I simply need to wait until their civilization increase enough or levys come in?
3. The admin and logistical points have me boggled. Do I need to be buying them constantly (and appears bankrupting myself quickly) or do I only need to worry about buying them before the next NAN calculation 3 years or so from the game start. A brief tip on how to use the windows for both would be lovely.

Great game and thanks in advance!

Gjergj K.
Private

Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:59 pm

You receive some new strategems every year, but often not the ones you want. I tend to spend them as they go away.

Irish start as a raider state, purely under AI control. At some point in the next few hundred years they become barbarians, which can then be controlled by the player.

If you are moving your army around a lot, you'll need to buy more logistic points. Otherwise, you don't need to.

The admin points are only needed at the admin calculation.

Attilathehamburgerbun
Civilian

Thanks!

Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:30 am

Gjergj K,

Thank you! Now I'm off to suppress and execute Magnentius and give the Persians a thrashing!

Attilathehamburgerbun
Civilian

Aaargh!!!

Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:50 pm

Pardon my French but whoever wrote the documentation for this game needs to be flogged and beheaded! How often is attrition checked for a unit on the move? Last night I sent Constantius with an 8 unit stack to crush the rebels in The Province and anticipating an easy victory. I ended up scurrying back to Milan, ass handed to me with one unit left. Not sure if these prohibitive casualties were battle losses or attrition. I do know I ran out of supply and had to pay for the move. Can anyone shed light on this? I am an old veteran of Paradox games and can see the similarities here, but the documentation is obscure about how these mechanics work. I'm starting to fall in love with this game but need some more help. Thanks in advance.

Palpat
Colonel

Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:17 am

Attilathehamburgerbun wrote:Pardon my French but whoever wrote the documentation for this game needs to be flogged and beheaded!

Did you get the old beta manual on the old Great Invasion Website? It is not perfect nor complete and a few errors lie here and there, but it's the best documentation you will get, apart from our beloved advices. :neener:

How often is attrition checked for a unit on the move? Last night I sent Constantius with an 8 unit stack to crush the rebels in The Province and anticipating an easy victory. I ended up scurrying back to Milan, ass handed to me with one unit left. Not sure if these prohibitive casualties were battle losses or attrition. I do know I ran out of supply and had to pay for the move. Can anyone shed light on this? I am an old veteran of Paradox games and can see the similarities here, but the documentation is obscure about how these mechanics work. I'm starting to fall in love with this game but need some more help. Thanks in advance.

They might also have been casualties: did you check terrain and so? How was the battle doing?
By the way, I'm also interested by the attrition thing, but I guess the standart things apply: winter, terrain, size of armies. Did you have a supply wagon?

Franciscus

Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:25 pm

Palpat wrote:Did you get the old beta manual on the old Great Invasion Website? It is not perfect nor complete and a few errors lie here and there, but it's the best documentation you will get, apart from our beloved advices. :neener:

Yes, the beta manual is fundamental.
But IIRC you can acess it also on the "documentation" folder of the GI directory created when you install the game on our PC (sorry, away from home, can't remember exactly the name of the directory/folder)

Return to “Great Invasions”