Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:01 am

Hi Mk welcome.

Not sure but (as told you) seems to me all of the "slots" are complete.
However, I have not the knowledge enough ...

Perhaps Uh.. Jabber knows... is there still room for this extra CSA (or USA) player?

Jabberwock

Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:02 am

I think coordinating two CinCs with amphibious possibilities controlled by the Prez is going to be tough for the Union. I'm going to be a control freak about my navy, I don't want to give that up.

Perhaps Rafiki would let one of us create a Gulf theater? That is, if the other CinC's are willing to share?

He gets back Saturday.
[color="DimGray"] You deserve to be spanked[/color]

Dundee
Conscript

Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:25 am

Coregonas wrote:Hi Mk welcome.

Not sure but (as told you) seems to me all of the "slots" are complete.
However, I have not the knowledge enough ...

Perhaps Uh.. Jabber knows... is there still room for this extra CSA (or USA) player?

I have to echo MK’s query ..... There are exactly how many persons or slots actually moving the "bits about" as it were? Who is doing what and why are they doing it...what’s the process...what’s the Order of Battle…when is the battle?

Lost in the Fog of War…as it were.

Dundee
:dada:

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:12 am

It doesnt seems to me a good idea to increase more chaos in the orders process...all those mail sendings. It should slow another day the game for sure, once big armies start moving.

Initial idea is was something like

President has to order mainly economic orders + ships
CiC East - AoNV
CiC West - AoM
Reporter (dont do orders)

also is a neutral observer

Battle orders will start on next week, once rafiki teleports (sorry :king: re deploy) back to his home. He needs to make the final decisions...

Orders will start being written in the War Rooms.

Turns will be sent between players.

Once all turns sent to Rafiki, 1st game turn will be done!

Jabberwock

The OOB

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:38 pm

USA
President: Jabberwock
CinC East: AndrewKurtz
CinC West: johnnycai
Reporter: (unofficial till R gets back) Dundee

CSA
President: Coregonas
CinCEast: Banks6060
CinCWest: soloswolf
Reporter: DirkX

Neutral Observer: jimwinsor

Jabberwock

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:50 pm

I think the best bet for the first few extra volunteers is to ask them to read only the newspapers. Then they can sub in if someone has a RL problem. At that time they can check out and continue the AAR of whoever they are substituting for, and read their side's war room.

To get a better idea how it will work, look at the early posts from the first GC.

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:53 pm

Yes, I agree. That way any replacement player could game both sides.

I ve read some final conclusions in the first GC than too much complicated / elaborate AARs slowed somewhat the game. Also, a player turn skipped was another critical hit to it...

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:18 pm

Jabberwock wrote:I think the best bet for the first few extra volunteers is to ask them to read only the newspapers. Then they can sub in if someone has a RL problem. At that time they can check out and continue the AAR of whoever they are substituting for, and read their side's war room.

To get a better idea how it will work, look at the early posts from the first GC.

I believe this would be the best approach to people that wish to possibly get into the campaign down the line.

MkollCSA
Corporal

Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:07 pm

well if thats what i must do than i guess thats what i will do

Dundee
Conscript

Resignation

Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:14 am

I am going to bow out at this point, hopefully you will be able to fill the Reporter slot before the game starts. I just do not feel that I have any vested intrest in the campaign. If there was a mix of Reporter and actual gaming I would be more inclined to continue but with the extremly limited slots that seems unlikely.

I do applogize for any distruption my withdrawl may cause. If circumstances change however...

Your faithless Servant
Dundee
:dada:

soloswolf
General of the Army

Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:14 pm

Do we know what we are using for delay and redeployment options?

For the record, I would prefer medium delay and 3 redeployments/side. And historical attrition as well.
My name is Aaron.

Knight of New Hampshire

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:03 pm

soloswolf wrote:Do we know what we are using for delay and redeployment options?

For the record, I would prefer medium delay and 3 redeployments/side. And historical attrition as well.

Yes....I play with nothing less than historical attrition anymore. The rest are far too forgiving....and it just bugs me to see 500-1000 strength regiments through the later years of the war. I believe, historically, that officials eventually arrived at a number between 250-500 troops as being the most efficient for maneuverability and firepower combined.

According to a few sources...there were regiments fighting at Antietam for both sides which consisted of FEWER than 200 men. Long campaigns on the Penninsula, in the Valley, Northern Virginia, and finally Southern Maryland had taken their toll. This is not properly simulated without historical attrition in the game.

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:05 pm

I believe it should be better play just standard vanilla... :siffle:

Historical attrition + mud movements are giving too much damage in my opinion, it restricts too much movement... (especially to the USA of course).

Also, 3 Redeployments are too tricky to my eyes ... i .e send lee + jackson + 1 army to any place :indien: !!

Jabberwock

Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:18 pm

I prefer small delay and standard attrition. Either one or three redeployments is fine.

Rafiki

Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:52 pm

Hi guys. Sorry for the delay in rejoining the virtual world; been having a bit of a rat problem :p that needed addressing when I came home from my job trip.

I'm catching up on forum backlog of various natures, but will start the game tomorrow and address other issues by then :)
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

soloswolf
General of the Army

Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:33 pm

Welcome back! Apologies on the Vermin.
My name is Aaron.

Knight of New Hampshire

Rafiki

Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:08 pm

I still need to get the mail addresses of johnnycai, AndrewKurtz and DirkX conformed (= PM it to me); I can retrieve the addresses used when you registered for the forums, but I'd like to be sure that I'm using up-to-date/active addresses.

Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Rafiki

Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:42 am

Still waiting for Andrew's and Dirk's mail addresses.

In the meantime, do note that in the war rooms, all communication should be "in-character", so there can be no mention of "so-and-so many points of NM". Also, you should not use PMs or personal mails of any kind, since it undermines the communication aspect of the grand campaign :)

(I'm mentioning this now, before we start the game in full, so that is absolutely clear and without grounds for misunderstandings :) )

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Jabberwock

Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:01 am

Should the reporter have access to the 'private' AARs and the War Room for his side? Should we create another separate thread to communicate with the reporter?

Rafiki

Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:17 pm

Reporter has access to the war room for his side, but not to the individual AARs.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

tyrex
Colonel

Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:54 pm

hI Rafiki did you have received the demand for another forum for a french Grand Campaign?
We're all waiting for the opening of dedicated place for ours nightmares in ACW :niark:

LMUBill
Lieutenant

Worried for the Union side....

Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:38 pm

After reading through all the posts I have become more than a little worried that the strain may be too much for President Lincoln (a.k.a. Jabberwock). You can tell someone is either losing their sanity or getting a God complex when they quote themselves in their signatures. :niark:

Maybe the South was right after all. :siffle:

Rafiki

Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:50 pm

tyrex wrote:hI Rafiki did you have received the demand for another forum for a french Grand Campaign?
We're all waiting for the opening of dedicated place for ours nightmares in ACW :niark:

Indeed, I'll get to that once I get this one launched :)

LMUBill: Image

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Rafiki

Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:33 pm

OK, then. Turn files for the first turn have been sent out and all participants will have received at a mail with their side's turn-files.

All communication between players should now be via telegrams in the war rooms, and I'm looking forward to following the discussions and the AARs as the game develops! :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Jabberwock

Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:11 am

LMUBill wrote:After reading through all the posts I have become more than a little worried that the strain may be too much for President Lincoln (a.k.a. Jabberwock). You can tell someone is either losing their sanity or getting a God complex when they quote themselves in their signatures. :niark:

Maybe the South was right after all. :siffle:

:tournepas "If I can laugh at my sanity issues ... then I can maintain adequate perspective." - Jabberwock :)

tyrex
Colonel

Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:30 am

Rafiki wrote:Indeed, I'll get to that once I get this one launched :)

Thanks from all gamers from the French Spoken Grand Campaign :cool:

Rafiki

Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:25 pm

OK, I want to emphasize something about how this works from a practical point of view.

We operate with two types of files, .trn- and .ord-files

The .trn-file is the one I send out when I've resolved the turn. All players will use this file when they place their orders, and it will not change as players place their orders.

The .ord-file is the one that chnages and that gets sent around. The first player, after having placed his orders and then saved the game, will send the now-generated .ord-file to the next player.

The next player places the .ord-file from the first player in the same directory as the .trn-file received form me, then loads up the game, places his orders, saves the game and then sende the now updated .ord-file to the next player, who repeats the procedure.

When all players have placed their orders, the .ord-files from both teams are collected by yours truly, who uses them to resolve the turn, whereupon we retsrat the iteration.

For convenience sake, we are using the mailing lists created by me, so that everyone on a given side is kept informed and to have redunancy if a player in the "chain" is unavailable for some days for some reason.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Rafiki

Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:53 am

Something else to emphasize:

Now that we've started, you need to take special care about which threads you read and don't, especially in the Grand Campaign forum. I'd hate for the game and the enjoyment of it be ruined due to someone inadvertently clicking the wrong link and reading a thread they really shouldn't :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Rafiki

Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:50 pm

CSA orders are IN. How are the Union orders coming along? :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

johnnycai
Major

Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:56 pm

Rafiki wrote:CSA orders are IN. How are the Union orders coming along? :)

I believe West and East CiC's have done theirs. I sent them to the USA group email on Sunday.

Return to “American Civil War, The Grand Campaign”