Rafiki

Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:22 am

In any case, if the players think that it'll be more interesting if we use the April '61 scenario, I won't be arguing with that :)
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

soloswolf
General of the Army

Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:33 pm

I am sure it will be a lot of fun either way.

I would certainly prefer to start in April of '61, but I am up for whatever the consensus is.

I am also curious/interested in where the line for east and west is drawn for our purposes.
My name is Aaron.

Knight of New Hampshire

Rafiki

Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:40 pm

How the map and forces are divided between the theatre commanders is at the president's discretion, so first, let's find out what the teams are ;)

Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:57 pm

I would like to help defend poor CSA men against the USA empire just...

I m not english "proficient", so not good AARs

Too much time traveling to assure all day connection

Not an ACW expert. Just all my life playing wargames some of you design.

This G.C. idea is excellent... played since April 61 should be the BOMB!
The more satisfaction I ve had from wargames has been always with several players:
Empires in ARMS - Full campaign with 1 player / country (2 with france)
Thunder at Crossroads - 5 players (or 6 not remember too far in my head)
Pacific War - full war 5 players
Europa -From whom the bell songs - Spanish C.W. 5 players
... and some others... AH games...

Aside from some years long excelent roleplaying games (Ars Magica / Gurps)

But If you feel desperate perhaps I could help!!!

AndrewKurtz

Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:25 pm

runyan99 wrote:Yes, starting in 1862 means the south has already had its back broken in the west to a large degree, so....

So...I'd like to be the CiC Union West :niark:

(Just kidding)

AndrewKurtz

Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:30 pm

Rafiki wrote:In any case, if the players think that it'll be more interesting if we use the April '61 scenario, I won't be arguing with that :)

I'd prefer the April 61 scenario as well.

Jabberwock

Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:56 pm

I would prefer April '61. I'll take any active role in that scenario. We've got eight volunteers. One more should fill out all the slots.
[color="DimGray"] You deserve to be spanked[/color]

johnnycai
Major

Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:13 pm

Jabberwock wrote:I would prefer April '61. I'll take any active role in that scenario. We've got eight volunteers. One more should fill out all the slots.

I dont mind which scenario is chosen.

runyan99

Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:58 pm

You guys should use the July scenario. Based on the likely rate of play, it will take you two months of realtime just to play April, May and June 1861.

Jabberwock

Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:12 pm

runyan99 wrote:You guys should use the July scenario. Based on the likely rate of play, it will take you two months of realtime just to play April, May and June 1861.

I'd be open to that.

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:25 pm

I ll be happy to play Davis in an April 61 campaign!... and with the leader Mod :niark: !

First turns can be quickly done in fact?

The very 3/4 first turns could be done just by the president, sending all orders "pre-made" (there are only a few troops to do) to the CiCs and these chould change the orders after that.

AARs and communication would be the problem!

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:45 pm

I would vote for a July'61 start for sure. It would still give each side a chance to build their armies, but would also avoid having to deal with some of the slower months early on.

I would only prefer Feb '62 start because you are able to get to the action right away.

But I'm game for whatever.

soloswolf
General of the Army

Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:50 pm

Good call, Runyan.

I am cool with the April or July scenario.

Are we planning on using the Leader Mod? Any others?
My name is Aaron.

Knight of New Hampshire

Rafiki

Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:08 am

This is what I have registered about participant wishes so far:

[color="Blue"]Union[/color]
President: Jabberwock
CiC East: johnnycai, Banks6060, AndrewKurtz
CiC West: johnnycai, AndrewKurtz
Journalist: DirkX

[color="Red"]CSA[/color]
President: Jabberwock, Coregonas
CiC East: Banks6060, (AndrewKurtz)
CiC West: soloswolf, (AndrewKurtz)
Journalist: DirkX

[color="Purple"]Neutral[/color]
Observer: jimwinsor

Anyone besides DirkX (hopefully not already listed) interested in being a journalist?

It seems that there is a significant interest for playing a '61 scenario rather than the '62 scenario, which is quite OK for me. Using the April scenario would provide a good opportunity for comfortably easing everyone into the flow of things, but it would make for little action the first few weeks of this :) EDIT: I've added a poll so we can see what people like. It's multiple-choice so you can select both if you like, and note that the choices are public (makes it easier to make sure that only participants in the game vote ;) )

We won't be using any mods in this campaign, seeing as it adds a bit too much complexity when patches and mod updates are published. I.e. we stick to official patches, without any mods :king:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

soloswolf
General of the Army

Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:46 pm

Do I need to remove the Leader Mod from my system? (And if so, how?) Or since you are hosting, will it not be a concern?

I also had the R.R. mod, but since that was all in the latest patches that shouldn't matter. (Right?)

[With regards to the poll: I am still more than willing to play the July start, I just didn't want everyone to be voting for both and not get anywhere.]
My name is Aaron.

Knight of New Hampshire

Jabberwock

Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:56 pm

Can we go ahead with one journalist for both sides and hope another one signs up when they see how much fun Dirk is having?

Rafiki

Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:33 pm

soloswolf wrote:Do I need to remove the Leader Mod from my system? (And if so, how?) Or since you are hosting, will it not be a concern?

I also had the R.R. mod, but since that was all in the latest patches that shouldn't matter. (Right?)
I'm afraid you'll need to reinstall :( (others with more hands-on experience with mods than me should by all means correct me if I'm wrong)

My 2 cents for how to have mods installed, is to have a "base" installation that is always updated with the last official patch, and then left unmodded. Then, when you wish to apply mods, you copy that installtion to a different directory, and apply the mod to the copy.
Jabberwock wrote:Can we go ahead with one journalist for both sides and hope another one signs up when they see how much fun Dirk is having?

A journalist is bound to one side, since he will receive the turn-file and suchlike and is expected to provide a view on the war as seen from that particular side.

But we can easily proceed with a side not incorporating a journalist.

To start making things a bit more specific, on Monday, we'll start figuring out who gets which roles, and let "stragglers" have till then to sign up :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:32 pm

soloswolf wrote:Do I need to remove the Leader Mod from my system? (And if so, how?) Or since you are hosting, will it not be a concern?

[With regards to the poll: I am still more than willing to play the July start, I just didn't want everyone to be voting for both and not get anywhere.]

OOPS thats true I have also 1 single instalation with leader mod running! Playing now 1 pbem under 109d + leader mod. I must upgrade to 109e ...

If you believe we must play vanilla... I ll do another FULL installation in a different directory from the original CD! I assume i can do it... but not at home to try until weekend.

One question I ve not read... In case one of us could not play for any reason during a couple weeks... how do we proceed? The other 2 players do the extra :niark: work?... I could play two 1 year long Space empires IV game but... several weeks were delayed...

I ve voted April just because never played the july scenario, ... so I ll try some turns later... Since long long ago we ve tried to play only FULL campaigns with all optional rules and some extra if we can add!!! :bonk:

DirkX
Lieutenant

Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:38 pm

Jabberwock wrote:Can we go ahead with one journalist for both sides and hope another one signs up when they see how much fun Dirk is having?

as we talk of it, before the fun there is work.
if anyone has a clue how i can make a newspaper layout, tell me please :innocent:
pre-made layouts would be even better
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"

Rafiki

Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:09 pm

Coregonas wrote:One question I ve not read... In case one of us could not play for any reason during a couple weeks... how do we proceed? The other 2 players do the extra :niark: work?... I could play two 1 year long Space empires IV game but... several weeks were delayed...

If for some reason one player is unable to place his orders, the others on his team will have to do it for him, but can only do so based on communication through the war room, i.e. no special allowances for giving instructions on what to do :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Jabberwock

Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:23 am

DirkX wrote:pre-made layouts would be even better

Viola!
Attachments
Newspaper_USA_Back1.png
Newspaper_CSA_Back1.png

soloswolf
General of the Army

Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:01 am

If I do need to do a reinstall, how would I go about getting it again? (I downloaded the game)
My name is Aaron.

Knight of New Hampshire

Rafiki

Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:10 am

If you didn't keep a copy of the download.exe, send a mail to support@ageod.com along with the details of your purchase, and they'll be able to help you. :)

Make sure to keep your serial key safe!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Rafiki

Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:19 am

Note that only votes from campaign participants will count ;)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Hinkel
Lieutenant

Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:44 am

Rafiki wrote:Note that only votes from campaign participants will count ;)

Uhm, you got me.. :niark:
But I have a special right, cause I'm Generel Lee.. well, I was in the last campaign. But I did a great job against the yanks, Mr. president :D !
[CENTER]The Grand Campaign project[/CENTER]
[font="Georgia"][CENTER]Commander-in-chief of the Confederate forces in the east[/CENTER][/font]
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Rafiki

Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:50 am

There is one way you can make up for your illegal vote; make it legal by volunteering for the position as CSA Journalist! :cwboy:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:09 pm

I would like to warn people who have not played or followed the first GC: I suppose you are all quite experienced with AACW, and as such I'm not surprised you want to go for the real Mac Coy, the April 61 campaign. However, be aware that the Grand Campaign project is at least 4 times slower than a classic Pbem Game.

In a classic game, pbem or not, you'll play the first monthes of the April 61 campaign in a matter of minutes. This won't be happening in the Grand Campign, besause there is no way you'll be able to gather all 7 players on line at the same time.

Therefore, IMHO, based on the first GC, April '61 would be a mistake unless the first monthes of the campaign are played in a row (using ARES?) and by presidents only in order to speed up the game without empering each side chances.

Otherwise, in a "classic" GC pbem setting, by the time you'll reach some kind of actions, several Real Time weeks will have passed and everybody (audience included) will be bored to death... :bonk:

June '61 is slightly better.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." Mark Twain

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:05 pm

I voted April 61 just because played only the full scenario against AI until bored then went for some PBEMs.

It allows every side to decide the ECONOMIC strategy since the very beggining... Perhaps I am in a mistake, but I believe most players go for full campaigns once training a few scenarios, just play scenarios for fun a couple times.

But obviously the first 3/4 turns are boring to the players and the audience.

Perhaps sending "orders" for these early turns just by one of the players, following the "strategy lines" accorded for all players in the adecuate strategy thread. So game could go a little faster. perhaps "strategy" should be decided by the presidents, and all orders (including economic ones) could be done by the (for example) Eastern CiC... during these early 4 turns... Until june.

In any case I believe you moderators should finally decide, and all of us will agree. I´m just a level 1 starting Mage and you are level 60 demigods!

Jabberwock

Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:36 pm

Take the +1 magic halberd. Even a level 1 mage rolls a natural 20 occasionally.

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:39 am

Jabberwock wrote:Take the +1 magic halberd. Even a level 1 mage rolls a natural 20 occasionally.

I should assure to obtain also the Magic 20-sided die roll (The Number 1 lead-painted) to add some chances! :niark:

Return to “American Civil War, The Grand Campaign”