Captain_Orso

Regimental losses not reported & Replacements are wrong

Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:57 pm

I can't remember ever seeing that the loss of a regiment or general not reported after a battle, but this has occurred with multiple losses in this battle. The report of Ord being killed was in the Message Log before the battle results. There certainly wasn't room at the top of the Battle Report for his Icon to be displayed :neener:

Additionally, when replacement regiments arrived the next turn, they were of the wrong type, thus messing up the organization of my newly defunct division. Ord wad the divisional commander.

This is the TO&E of the 3 brigades affected

These are the replacements that they received

Their current, broken make-up

Image Image Image

I deleted the turn and re-ran it and got the same results :(

How does this happen?

oberst_klink
Lieutenant

What patch and version...

Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:19 pm

Orso,

did you try to use the option 'load previous turn'? Any chance to have a look at the saved game perhaps?

Drop me a line or eMail me the saved game in order to replicate the 'iffy' behaviour.

Klink, Oberst

Captain_Orso

Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:02 pm

After seeing the results I went into the menu, selected Load Game, hovered over the game in the list and hit the <Home> key, which then asks if I want 'to restore the previous turn', which I did. Then I simply let it run again and got the exact same results, with regards to the replacements.

That the battle for Ft Jackson was lost by my expeditionary force on this second go, was a bad side affect :( which I an still trying to alleviate ;)

I've attached the turn in question for your viewing pleasure. Just don't laugh too much about my chaotic game play :wacko:
Attachments
01 Original Results.rar
(980.58 KiB) Downloaded 163 times

Jim-NC

Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:20 am

The answer is unit type. You'll notice that 2 of your units each can contain 1 light artillery. 12 pounders are not considered light artillery by the game engine. When the game checks for replacements, and you have light artillery replacements left, it adds them to the unit in question. The game doesn't realize that you still have an artillery in the unit, but that there is no light artillery.

My guess?!? on the Iron Bde, is that 1 of the remaining elements is not elite infantry, so the engine did the same calculation, and added an elite infantry element.

The way around this is to have no light artillery replacements (not a completely satisfactory arrangement I know, but it is the work around I have developed). This will force the engine to replace with infantry (assuming you have replacements that is).
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Captain_Orso

Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:52 am

:p leure: I've seen that answer before, Jim, thanks for reminding me. :thumbsup: IIRC there was a time when the 12lb art were considered light artillery. When their category got changed--to field artillery I think--it broke the replacement coding just as you stated.

About the First Iron Brigade, I'm not so sure. The missing regiments are a skirmisher and a cavalry. It shouldn't be looking for and infantry replacement at all. BuUuUut there is also another Iron Brigade with 5 elite infantry regiments. The game may be mixing them up. :tournepas

I know about this other brigade because the craziest thing happened with it. Once again the commanding general was killed while assaulting a small garrison in a town/city. But not only was the McCall killed, but the Iron Brigade was broken into two different units with the same name. One had 4 infantry regiments and the other just 1 :bonk: . Both said that they should be 5 elite regiments in size :blink: . I considered letting them both grow to their TO&E size, but that wouldn't be fair :siffle: , besides it would have been just one more thing to manage in a game that's got me scrambling to keep up as it is :neener:

Captain_Orso

Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:43 pm

Captain_Orso don't ever write in the forum without having the game open in front of you!
Captain_Orso don't ever write in the forum without having the game open in front of you!

It was not the 'Iron Bde' that got broken up, but the 'Irish Legion Bde'.

But there really is an 'Iron Bde' and the 'First Iron Bde' and although the 'First Iron Bde' has 2 elite inf, 1 skirmisher and 1 cav in it's TO&E, after receiving replacement regiments it now has 4 elite inf. That much I can confirm to be true.

Jim-NC

Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:48 am

Having the game open helps a lot. Don't feel too bad about it.

I have also once seen an extra element for the CSA's elite Missouri bde. Don't know how that one formed (it may have been an event, or some odd/rogue bit of coding).

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Captain_Orso

Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:14 am

Thankth Dthim, I feel bedder dnow Image

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:03 pm

The MO Brigade gets an extra regiment the turn after it appears IIRC.

Captain_Orso

Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:47 pm

There are some brigades that appear through events that are missing regiments. A number of the brigades in McDowell's army start out missing regiments.

Another is, the Michigan brigade--the 1st Michigan I think--that appears in Ironton, Ohio on the Ohio River per event. A few turns after their appearance they always get a regiment of cavalry; the Broadheads and then unlock shortly after. I always remember this because as soon as they unlock you have to move them away from the Kentucky boarder or risk aggravating the Kentuckians before they decide on which side of the fence they are standing; and because I'm originally from Michigan :neener:

Jim-NC

Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:33 am

Captain_Orso wrote:Thankth Dthim, I feel bedder dnow Image

I can see how much "bedder" you feel now. :bonk:

The weird thing about the Missouri bde was that the "replacement" element was by itself, not attached to the bde. This only happened once, so I am unsure what happened, or why. I just kept the unit, and moved on (placing the lone element in a separate stack in order to gain an advantage) - I mean, strategically deploying the unit. ;)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Captain_Orso

Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:08 pm

Well, I also considered what might happen with the game engine if it started getting the two units mixed up, because they had the same name :blink:

If I ever play a tournament or something I'll consider keeping it, and if* things go wrong for me I can always say that it was a game error :w00t: . *when(?) ;)

oberst_klink
Lieutenant

SPAM bot

Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:56 pm

Can somebody prevent normy8331 from posting senseless stuff in various threads?

Klink, Oberst
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam
(Marcus Porcius Cato Censorius)

Don't forget to visit the Gefechtsstand!

caranorn

Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:06 pm

oberst_klink wrote:Can somebody prevent normy8331 from posting senseless stuff in various threads?

Klink, Oberst

Use the report button, I suspect that account is a bot, I reported him just now as such...
Marc aka Caran...

lodilefty

Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:41 pm

oberst_klink wrote:Can somebody prevent normy8331 from posting senseless stuff in various threads?

Klink, Oberst

Who? Where?

:D
Good Morning! :coeurs:
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

Captain_Orso

Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:37 pm

normy's like Image

and Lodi's like Image

and then normy's like ImageImage

and I'm like Image

:D

Return to “Help to improve AACW!”