mikee64
Brigadier General

Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:42 am

mikee64 wrote:There is a tooltip message related to destroying a depot which is very misleading. If you attempt to use a locked unit to destroy a depot the tooltip says "A depot cannot be razed if it is level 2 or above."

In fact it has nothing to with the size of the depot (don't even think there is a "level 2" depot?), but rather the unit doing the destroying. Not a big deal for vets but this could be seriously confusing for new players.

I hate to quote myself but this what the search turned up. ;)

It seems that in addition to locked units, inactive leaders cannot destroy depots either. But we get the same tooltip for an inactive leader. I assume this is WAD? If so could the tooltip be changed to something more accurate like "The selected unit cannot destroy the depot."?

It's not an issue to me but am thinking of new players.
Mike

Gray_Lensman

Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:19 am

deleted

mikee64
Brigadier General

Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:42 am

Gray_Lensman wrote:No it's not WAD. This is something in the code that will have to be fixed, so I hesitate to track down and eliminate the Tooltip itself since it may be a generic tooltip used for other games also. In some of the other games there might very well be multiple level depots, but I'm not sure. Just for your information, there are game specific tooltips and then there are generic tooltips. The game specific Tooltips would be contained in the LocalStrings_ACW.csv file and the generic Tooltips are located in the LocalStrings__AGE.csv file.

Thanks Gray. My WAD question wasn't so much for the tooltip as asking if inactive (not locked, as this has already been discussed) stacks/leaders should be able to destroy depots. Currently they cannot. I can see justifying it either way, I was just curious.

And the tooltip above is indeed in the LocalStrings__AGE.csv file, so I can understand it would affect other games. Thanks for the info.

mikee64
Brigadier General

Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:16 am

Not strictly the place for this I guess, but didn't want to start a new thread. I've got a large number of units located in Richmond, and one stack appears graphically in another region, even though it is shown as being in Richmond. Note the location of Lee and the info bar on him. If I try to drag him into the Richmond area he loses his entrenchments. It appears he's in Prince George but by all indications he is not:

I could have sworn I remembered something similar being discussed long ago but a search turned up nothing. Any ideas what's going on?

Also, maybe I'm losing my mind, but is there a way to tell a unit to delay before starting to move? Maybe this was something on the wishlist from way back I'm thinking of.

Gray_Lensman

Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:34 am

deleted

mikee64
Brigadier General

Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:09 am

No luck with the quick fix Gray. I am uninstalling and reloading everything now, although this was a fresh install of 1.13a w/ only your KY mod added on.

Here is another glitch w/ the same game:

Van Dorn's cav has assumed the portrait of Bee, after merging, reorganizing, and separating them.
Mike

mikee64
Brigadier General

Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:21 am

Gray, I completely uninstalled and reinstalled the game from my C drive over the past hour. The Lee graphic glitch is still there. Let me know if you want saves, backups, whatever.

I think in the case of the cav I posted above I may have figured that one out, but it still seems to be a bug. I start with Bee+cav regiment(s) in region and VanDorn+cav regiment(s) in same region. Whenever I combine them to a single force, reorganize and then split them again, Bee is always graphically shown as commanding both forces.

Gray_Lensman

Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:25 am

deleted

mikee64
Brigadier General

Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:31 am

I am as up to date as you can be - hang on 5 minutes for the files..

Gray_Lensman

Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:04 am

deleted

mikee64
Brigadier General

Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:11 pm

here ya go, sorry I didn't get them last night, I had moved everything to my portable HD, which my daughter was using to do her homework... this is 3 backups with a current .ord file missing for the US as its pbem... you should see Lee in the wrong region and be able to re-create the Van Dorn/Bee issue with a couple simple actions. Let me know if you need more.
Attachments
graphic_glitch_mikee64.zip
(3.28 MiB) Downloaded 190 times

mikee64
Brigadier General

Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:12 pm

Gray_Lensman wrote:Gotta run... Go ahead and post them... I'll check them out tomorrow afternoon.

edit> Listening to Jeopardy Music! :)

well, technically its not "tomorrow afternoon" yet... :D
Mike

Gray_Lensman

Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:47 pm

deleted

mikee64
Brigadier General

Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:35 pm

OK thanks - should I email the files to Pocus as well w/ an explanation? BTW I'm running in full debug mode, so if more info or older backups are needed, in case someone needs to track it back to the turn it happened, just let me know.

What about the Van Dorn/Bee graphic thing? Could you duplicate that?

mikee64
Brigadier General

Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:41 am

Gray, if it helps any I think I have narrowed down the display bug to being tied to Lee. I can now reproduce it whenever I have him in a stack in the Richmond region, but if I try the same w/o Lee the stack appears in the correct spot. Lee is locked in this case, maybe this is causing it?

The other bug is still there, I now have two stacks of cav running around under the command of Bee, even though the info bar correctly identifies one as Van Dorn.

Major Tom
Lieutenant Colonel

Alaska?

Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:46 am

There's an Arkansas militia unit called 3rd AK "The Hempstead Rifles"

I just want to point out that AK is the abbreviation for Alaska. As far as I've seen, the other Arkansas regiments use the correct abbreviation of AR.

Or maybe I missed the message on the "Alaska Secedes" event. Of course that would be tricky since Alaska was part of Russia at the time. Maybe foreign intervention? :D
Attachments
Hempstead.jpg
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Gray_Lensman

Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:32 am

deleted

Major Tom
Lieutenant Colonel

Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:08 am

Gray_Lensman wrote: :D
Obviously a typo, but to be useful, you have to be specific and tell us the name of the scenario you were playing and whether it was an at-start setup unit, or showed up later in the game you were playing.

Oooh, that's a toughie. It's definitely the April 1861 scenario, and the date is September 1861, so the unit showed up before that. It's not a locked unit, so I assume I bought it and the unit name is one of the many "flavor" names that are chosen from randomly. I know I've seen the same unit name before in other games.
Sic Semper Tyrannis

mikee64
Brigadier General

Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:26 pm

Minor typo: when an objective city falls, the mail box report reads:

"Sir, we have lost Nashville in Tennessee. Our citizens are becoming dispirited and we are loosing support."

"loosing" should be "losing"

Gray_Lensman

Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:58 pm

deleted

mikee64
Brigadier General

Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:05 pm

Minor display error for the Maryland Line Bde which appears in Feb. 62 (April 61 scenario). Its showing a cannon graphic instead of infantry in it's unit display box. On map it's displayed correctly as an infantryman.

Somewhat related: the cannon shown is a 12 lb Napoleon. Are we ever going to get the correct bronze instead of iron display back for this, or is it just a tough one to fix?
Mike

mikee64
Brigadier General

Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:35 am

May have found an answer to this one, it seems to be related to upgrade of cannons. When an infantry element is replaced by arty element (after an upgrade) that pic is displayed.

Wilcox should have 2 inf 1 cav 1 arty. And be displayed as inf bgde I think.

This is related to a previously discussed issue where upgraded arty is not replaced properly with the correct elements.
Mike

Gray_Lensman

Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:25 am

deleted

mikee64
Brigadier General

Sun May 17, 2009 2:29 am

OK I have deleted this post in the patch thread and am re-posting it here, just because I am curious. Is this just not a problem or am I the only one seeing it?? It's not a big deal except when I use the "E-R" keys and a lone unit is always selected and thus has the display problem.
Thanks.
------
No idea when this was introduced, but I'm pretty sure it was not there in some earlier versions. When you select a unit the right hand number of the strength for the unit is partially or totally blocked by the select border:

You can see the "21" strength of the 10th TX Cav looks like a "2" when the unit is selected. Worse yet is that when a unit actually has a single digit strength, you cannot see the number at all.
-----
Granted I have pointed out stupid "non-issues" in the past but this one seems to persist in this version. Help?

PS: BTW Gray thanks for the cannon fix above; was playing pbem and had not upgraded at the time.

mikee64
Brigadier General

Scott, MO

Sun May 24, 2009 11:18 pm

From movement rates and tooltip messages Scott, MO seems to be a "Clear" terrain region. However, looking at the region graphics, it sure looks like "Woods" to me:

Any thoughts on this? Could the graphics be "cleared" a bit if its not really woods?
Mike

Gray_Lensman

Sun May 24, 2009 11:28 pm

deleted

mikee64
Brigadier General

Mon May 25, 2009 12:27 am

OK, understood Gray. I just happened to be campaigning in the area for the first time in a while and thought I would check. Just goes to reinforce the use of the tooltips in a lot of situations.

Thanks for the quick reply.

mikee64
Brigadier General

Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:03 pm

A couple of very minor typo/grammar errors in a tooltip; when the forced march button is grayed out for whatever reason the tooltip states

"No forced march order can be issued if the leader is no activated, or alone.
Bad weather can also reduces the % to zero."

In the first sentence "no activated" should be "not activated". Second sentence "reduces" should be "reduce".
Mike

Gray_Lensman

Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:46 am

deleted

Benihana
Private

Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:39 am

Unless there is some history of which someone knows better than I, I believe Warwick, VA should be named either Suffolk or Smithfield. Warwick is on the other side of the James, in the same region as Hampton.

Edit: The region, not the city. The city is already named Suffolk.

Return to “Help to improve AACW!”