iceboy
Corporal

Talledega, Alabama spelled wrong on map.

Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:31 pm

On map is Taledega but should be Talledega...

LMUBill
Lieutenant

Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:46 am

iceboy wrote:On map is Taledega but should be Talledega...

Actually it is Talladega.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talladega%2C_Alabama

Pocus

Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:39 am

don't forget that names as they were written is not always how they are to be written now (am I clear :) ). But agreed, we have made several typos!

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

LMUBill
Lieutenant

Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:56 pm

Pocus wrote:don't forget that names as they were written is not always how they are to be written now (am I clear :) ). But agreed, we have made several typos!

True. Nashville's original name was Nashborough. It was changed sometime during or after the Revolutionary War to Nashville because of the anti-British sentiment.

Plus you have some areas where the name is the same but the spelling is different. For example: Greeneville, Tennessee and Greenville, South Carolina.

Come to think of it, You have Newport, Tennessee as a Level two city. I'm not even sure that town was even that big at the time (and it definitely WAS NOT in the same location... it was moved to link up to the railroad when the railroad was built afte the war). However, Greeneville was a pretty good-sized town (probably would be a level 2 city) that was used by both sides during the war. Andrew Johnson lived there (and is buried there) and CSA General John Hunt Morgan was killed there in Union raid. Would it maybe be possible to move Newport to Region Greene (one region north, but you could place it a little more to the North-east) and rename it Greeneville? That would probably be more historically accurate. I noticed that Greeneville is on the map (in the correct spot) so you could just flip-flop that and Newport.

Just a thought.

GoldSpear
Private

Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:05 am

Livingstone, Tenn. should be Livingston? or is that a matter of historical semantics again?
Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees . . . (Last words of Gen. "Stonewall" Jackson)

Return to “Help to improve AACW!”