Reiryc

Another good review... keep spreading the word guys

Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:20 pm

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/articles.php?p&page=1&p=2523&page=2

What stuck out for me is:

Armchair General Score: 90%

Pros: A stunningly beautiful game which covers a period lacking much prior attention. Super AI and very challenging, yet also easy to jump right in and play. All the factors of warfare in the era (leadership, logistics, population control, and so forth) are included. If you have any interest at all in this time, buy it and prepare to write off all your spare time. It is that good!

Cons: Documentation needs work and lack of a decent soundtrack are the only weaknesses in an outstanding simulation.

Bottom Line: BOA reaffirms the fact that a couple of guys with a great idea and hard work can still create a game that enthralls, entertains, and educates. A must for any gamer who enjoys a solid historical game which will challenge him every single time.

I would agree with this evaluation. I'd like to see a bit better sounds but overall, an excellent game. The manual could use more information on what's going on in the back ground so the player will have more information to go off of when making plans. I can deal with some of the odd sentence structure or misspellings though.

Queeg
Lieutenant Colonel

Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:43 am

The sound track issue is easily resolved by popping in a Last of the Mohicans CD. :indien: Not much point in trying to top that.

Pocus

Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:06 am

improving the sound track is not the most difficult task anyway. For the music, either we get more bucks in the next project to have more, or we add historical and free military marches.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

[FS] Feltan
Sergeant

Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:34 pm

Pocus wrote:improving the sound track is not the most difficult task anyway. For the music, either we get more bucks in the next project to have more, or we add historical and free military marches.

I could go for the later! Some historical time period appropriate songs would be nice.

Maybe a stirring rendition of the development team singing Yankee Doodle Dandy (in English)? :niark:

Regards,
Feltan
"Fishcakes" the other F-word.

[FS] is the tag for the Mighty Free Soldiers on-line gaming clan. Visit at http://www.freesoldiers.net

Pocus

Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:54 pm

for the band: that, or a group of badly mauled ducks (they would sing better than me)

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

waynef
Corporal

Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:22 pm

I find myself humming along with the music in BoA :coeurs:

Nicely done

:sourcil:
Thanks
Wayne

Son of Achilles
Private

Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:21 pm

Queeg wrote:The sound track issue is easily resolved by popping in a Last of the Mohicans CD. :indien: Not much point in trying to top that.

Agreed!

Also, we need a way to add Magua as an indian leader with an Ambush Rating of + 50%.

And everytime he attacks he says, "Magua kill Grey Hair for our French Fathers".

Aragos

Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:05 am

That was my review fellows. I posted a thread below to it as well (could a mod delete mine please?).

Honestly, this game was a wonderful surprise. The fellows at Armchair General sent it to me pretty much blind to give it a shot (I do reviews for them every so often).

BoA is one of the most original and playable games I've seen in years. You can have complexity, and you can have simplicity, and you can have pretty graphics, etc. But it is hard to find a game nowdays that is playable and fun right out of the box.

Good job Ageod!

Pocus

Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:27 am

2 links for your review is barely sufficient, with such mark we got from you :)

We hope that our next project will receive as much praise...

jsnix
Conscript

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:13 pm

This review seals the deal for me. I have been sitting on the sidelines waiting for feedback before purchasing BOA. But the fact is I love the time period and I have seen nothing but positives from gamers on other forums (wargamer, Battlefront).

If the AI and gameplay are as advertised in the review then I will be a satisfied customer. However, I will try the demo first and I want to thank you for providing one.

Pocus

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:27 pm

only the Yorktown scenario will give you a run for your money, if you want to see the AI. The English are inferior in numbers, so the AI will be a bit more timid compared to a human, but just try to play against the American, and you will see she definitively use all her forces.

btw how you call an AI? it , he , she? I have a tendency to say 'she' :)

Gargoyle

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:33 pm

Pocus wrote:only the Yorktown scenario will give you a run for your money, if you want to see the AI. The English are inferior in numbers, so the AI will be a bit more timid compared to a human, but just try to play against the American, and you will see she definitively use all her forces.

btw how you call an AI? it , he , she? I have a tendency to say 'she' :)

I think saying "The AI" for the mechanism and saying "Her Forces" for the Americans are both right.

PDF

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:44 pm

Pocus wrote:btw how you call an AI? it , he , she? I have a tendency to say 'she' :)

Most games have blonde IA indeed ! :niark:

Lafrite

Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:18 am

Return to “Birth of America”