Enrigast
Conscript

Is it possible to win canada scenario for americans?

Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:16 pm

I think it's almos imposible for americans to take Quebec in 7 turns.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for this maravellous wargame I have discover some days ago, forget about empire builders this is an authentic wargame. I think an american civil war wargame should be next one.

PhilThib

Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:27 pm

Why not indeed :innocent:

Enrigast
Conscript

Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:03 pm

Because british only have to entrench all their units in Quebec isn't it?

PhilThib

Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:27 pm

This is a bit risky as a strategy, because luck in battle may turn a last minute assaut by a larger American force into a surprise victory...

[FS] Feltan
Sergeant

Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:38 pm

Enrigast wrote:Because british only have to entrench all their units in Quebec isn't it?

Sounds pretty historical to me.

Let's see....Arnold's troops were starving and deserting by the droves. They camped outside of Quebec, but the Brits in garrison easily outnumbered them. Montgomery came from Montreal to reinforce Arnold, but made a mistake that has always inhibited a successful military career: he got himself killed in a stupid assault. Stupid? Well the Brits had 2000 or so men in fortified Quebec with 150 cannon, the Arnold/Montgomery force had about 1000 men with no cannon. About 60 Americans were killed and over 400 taken prisoner during the assault.

Arnold retreated to Ticonderoga with what was remaining.

You might not be able to take Quebec in the scenario, but hopefully you can avoid historical disaster!

Regards,
Feltan
"Fishcakes" the other F-word.

[FS] is the tag for the Mighty Free Soldiers on-line gaming clan. Visit at http://www.freesoldiers.net

PhilThib

Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:18 pm

To be fair with the American generals on that fateful night of 31st Dec 1775, they had two or three compelling motives for launching the assault...

- Most of their men enlistment terms were over by end of the year
- Their troops were short on supplies and affected by smallpox
- Being outnumbered, they gambled on a bold assault under the cover of snowstorm and night...

It may have worked if surprise and luck had been on their side...

[FS] Feltan
Sergeant

Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:11 pm

PhilThib wrote:To be fair with the American generals on that fateful night of 31st Dec 1775, they had two or three compelling motives for launching the assault...

- Most of their men enlistment terms were over by end of the year
- Their troops were short on supplies and affected by smallpox
- Being outnumbered, they gambled on a bold assault under the cover of snowstorm and night...

It may have worked if surprise and luck had been on their side...

This is all true.

Suprise and luck may have stood a better chance if Arnold had not sent a letter to the commander of Quebec demanding surrender, or face an assault.

Regards,
Feltan
"Fishcakes" the other F-word.

[FS] is the tag for the Mighty Free Soldiers on-line gaming clan. Visit at http://www.freesoldiers.net

Cantata
Conscript

Americans can win!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:25 pm

I have beaten this scenario a few times now, although it has always been a VP win, not because I completed the Victory conditions. I have taken Quebec from the British on the very last turn (once), but since I forgot to tell my troops to occupy the city of Quebec after the battle, I guess the game saw that as not being in full control of Quebec, so only a VP win was awarded. I will have to try it again and remember to give the order to occupy this time.

It is a tough fight to be sure, but it can be done. Your biggest enemy in this scenario is actually the weather more so than the British. It slows movement and reduces your effective forces by attrition. On the other hand, without the frozen lakes, most of your forces able to reach Quebec would not arrive in time otherwise. And arriving at Quebec in a somewhat well-timed manner with all your forces is also important, so you don't get beaten piece-meal, one army at a time.

You can always try lowering the difficulty a little until you work out a good plan of attack and claim a victory or two. Then bump the difficulty back up and see if you still pull of a win or not.

Good luck!

Return to “Birth of America”