Dale H
Private

Congratulations AGEOD

Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:57 am

Just recently reinstalled BoA (thanks Mark!) & I have been playing for a week now. When I first got the game I couldn't get over the big hurdle of playing without a good understanding of what was happening. I got frustrated & gave it up.

I played ACW & Napy demos but was still hamstrung by all the detail not explained.

This week I have been playing intuitively & just letting things happen. I am trying to do things as I imagine those on the spot would do. I even drug out John Ferling's A Leap In The Dark just to nourish me as I go.

What a fantastic experience I have had. I am still not very good but I am into 1777 as the Brits in the 1775 Campaign with substantial holdings in the South & around Boston & I am learning a lot as I go. I have really been sucked in & I am enjoying the experience immensely.

I am hooked & a very happy camper even though it took me a while. :coeurs:

flintlock
Captain

Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:07 pm

Congrats on rediscovering an AGEod classic! 1.13d certainly has improved upon an already fantastic game. That said, I'm really looking forward to see what new heights Gold takes it to. :sourcil:

arclight
Private

Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:14 pm

Congrats - its the same story on my end too. After a comp crash, rebuild, and wading thru life (obligations, work, family, etc), I found my way back....

I'm looking forward to BOA2. From what Pocus has eluded to, it sounds like a hoot (and, the *possible* discount for BOA owners is a definite draw....).

Not to mention AACW (my copy is en route to me.... which also looks good). The Nappy game is not that far off for purchase.

Good times, Bro's, good times ahead....
"Who IS John Galt?"

Veritas Vos Liberabit

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:11 pm

Its "Boney!" not "Nappy."

Pocus

Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:58 am

BOA Gold has morphed into BOA 2, and the budget soared (the new artist redid all the map, doubling its surface, while keeping Sandra's style). So I'm very unsure we can offer a rebate...

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:58 pm

arclight wrote:I'm looking forward to BOA2. From what Pocus has eluded to, it sounds like a hoot (and, the *possible* discount for BOA owners is a definite draw....).

"BoA 2, Wars in America" will be a new game, with new campaigns, an extended map, new rules included (some retrofited from AACW and NCP, some needing some new code). However, the specific BoA philosophy will be kept, distincted from the AACW engine (simplicity, historical flavour). Two members of the AGEod staff are working full time on the project (Hok: Game design, Celtic: Code).

The discount idea might have been considered two years ago, when BoA was released and we were planning a simple extension, not a new game. However, due to the work invested, no discount is planned for BoA owners (people may now buy BoA 1 for 5$). AGEod is a young company with limited cash reserves, we can't afford this kind of policy for a stand-alone game.

BoA 2 price has not yet been fixed but it should not be very expensive. We plan to release regularly some "small games" using the BoA engine in order to cover different conflicts. Keep tuned.

Best regards,

Korrigan
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." Mark Twain

Carnium

Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:51 pm

Korrigan wrote:We plan to release regularly some "small games" using the BoA engine in order to cover different conflicts. Keep tuned.

Sounds good. But maybe you could give some discount to players who would buy them all. Last week I bought NPC, AACW + BOA and they are worth every € spent on them.
Any ideas of the conflicts that those "small games" would cover ?

My wishes :
Both Balkan wars (1912-13)
Custer Last Stand i.e. Post Civil War Indian Wars
Spanish Civil War (1936-1939)
Russian Revolution (1917-1922)
Russo - Japan War of 1905
German and Italian unification wars i.e. Wars of unification

arclight
Private

Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:04 pm

Korrigan wrote:"BoA 2, Wars in America" will be a new game, with new campaigns, an extended map, new rules included (some retrofited from AACW and NCP, some needing some new code). However, the specific BoA philosophy will be kept, distincted from the AACW engine (simplicity, historical flavour). Two members of the AGEod staff are working full time on the project (Hok: Game design, Celtic: Code).

The discount idea might have been considered two years ago, when BoA was released and we were planning a simple extension, not a new game. However, due to the work invested, no discount is planned for BoA owners (people may now buy BoA 1 for 5$). AGEod is a young company with limited cash reserves, we can't afford this kind of policy for a stand-alone game.

BoA 2 price has not yet been fixed but it should not be very expensive. We plan to release regularly some "small games" using the BoA engine in order to cover different conflicts. Keep tuned.

Best regards,

Korrigan

I stand corrected - I saw it in an earlier thread.

Thanks for the clarification - I will STILL get BOA2, since I like BOA and like the work AGEOD does.
"Who IS John Galt?"

Veritas Vos Liberabit

arclight
Private

Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:06 pm

tagwyn wrote:Its "Boney!" not "Nappy."

Hey, its the term the players used from my miniatures days.... take it easy on a grognard :bonk:
"Who IS John Galt?"

Veritas Vos Liberabit

Hohenlohe

Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:59 am

I still love BOA and will surely buy BOA 2.Until now I have only played the 1775 campaigns on both sides multiple times.I discovered new possibilties each time for my personal strategies.Last time I delivered a crushing defeat to the American as the British side.Now I am still playing the American side in the last turns.The game is wonderful and I have learned so much about that conflict reading books and internet articles about that time.I will try the French-Indian War next time.
I hope for a game about the Seven Years War with the Prussians and Austrian because I admire Fredrick the Great for his prowness and genius.

greetings

Hohenlohe

R.I.P. Henry D.

Wilhammer
Captain

Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:01 pm

These are the best computer wargames made today.

I'll gladly pay full price for all of them directly to AGEOD.

Fantastic work!

One day, I hope to not only see that planned 'Great War' game, but the one on the Second World War.

And, what if you took the engine, scaled it down, made regions that were hexes, and did Operational level games....

Pocus

Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:04 pm

Wilhammer, we also do brainstorming on our side :) . There are many possibilities indeed.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

stejones82
Conscript

Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:48 pm

Count me in too!

I am a CCC (HPS & John Tiller EAW vet) and now that I have a machine with the guts to run this memory hogg, I am loving it! A beautiful experience.

I have completed two PBEM games, and think this must be the ticket. My very first 1775 campaign as the Brits is near the end and I have amassed a 1200 point lead over the AI.

I know it is tough, but any hope of improving the AI with updates and mods.

Will BOA (original) still be supported? Will updates and fixes still be published for this excellent system, or will that be seen as a handicap to us buying Gold?

Steve

AndrewKurtz

Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:26 pm

arclight wrote:I will STILL get BOA2, since I like BOA and like the work AGEOD does.

Me too...no brainer to get BOA2,

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:31 pm

Pocus: Now Am I to understand, after being told I could expect a reduction in BOA II price because I had purchased BOA, that this will NOT be the case? L3

Heldenkaiser
AGEod Grognard

Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:47 pm

stejones82 wrote:I have completed two PBEM games, and think this must be the ticket.

Indeed! Now if we can get a couple of more opponents prepared to play rebel in that multiplayer ARW campaign we're planning ... what what? :cool:

Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:53 am

tagwyn wrote:Pocus: Now Am I to understand, after being told I could expect a reduction in BOA II price because I had purchased BOA, that this will NOT be the case? L3

Tagwyn,

Please refer to my previous post:

"The discount idea might have been considered two years ago, when BoA was released and we were planning a simple extension, not a new game. However, due to the work invested, no discount is planned for BoA owners (people may now buy BoA 1 for 5$). AGEod is a young company with limited cash reserves, we can't afford this kind of policy for a stand-alone game."

For the records:
- BoA 1 was released in March 2006, the extension was planned for June 2006, together with a new BoA edition (hence the reduction for previous owners). It was never finished (because we had begun to work on AACW). Instead, a free 1812 scenario was included in a BoA patch and the legacy patch was released much later one for free too.

- BoA 2 ETA is June 2008 (?). Time goes on. :cwboy:

Best regards,

Korrigan
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." Mark Twain

orca
Lieutenant

Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:35 am

Korrigan wrote:Tagwyn,
- BoA 1 was released in March 2006, the extension was planned for June 2006, together with a new BoA edition (hence the reduction for previous owners). It was never finished (because we had begun to work on AACW). Instead, a free 1812 scenario was included in a BoA patch.

- BoA 2 ETA is June 2008. Time goes on. :cwboy:

That's unfair. The post announcing the BoA Gold discount is what, three threads up on the forum. It May 27 2007, so really it's over the last eight months that the plan/policy has been changed.

Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:30 am

orca wrote:That's unfair. The post announcing the BoA Gold discount is what, three threads up on the forum. It May 27 2007, so really it's over the last eight months that the plan/policy has been changed.

Orca,

True enough, we planned and told you about the release of an add-on (named BoA Gold). It was mostly a big patch (roughly the legacy patch) with some additional campaigns. From memory, BoA Gold would have been sold as a stand-alone for 35 $ but previous owners could have bought it as an add-on for 10$. BoA 1 and BoA Gold would have used the same engine and would have been compatible. This was planned two years ago, and stopped one year ago. (AGEod is two years old).

The business plan was changed few weeks after AACW release.

Three reasons:
  1. That's when we began to work on Napoleon's Campaigns. Thus we knew we would not be able to finish the Add-on quickly;
  2. That's when BoA price began to drop. Today we have reduced its price to 19.90 € but you can find it for MUCH cheaper elsewhere and that's a real bargain for a classic game such as BoA 1.
  3. That's when we decided not to make an Add-on but to begin a true new stand-alone game, not compatible with BoA 1 with a dramatically improved engine, a new map, new units, new campaigns, new conflicts, etc. (7 monthes of work)

Although, we stopped talking about an add-on named "BoA Gold", and began to talk about a new game named "BoA 2" I realise no official announcement was made. Actually one of the reason is that so far we still don't know: what would be the exact name of BoA 2 (Wars in America?), what would the exact price (lower than AACW for sure), and what would be the release date (May?June 2008? Never?). To release a game you need some time, some money and some distributors. However, we know something: considering the work needed to make a new stand-alone game for you, to sell it for 10$ would mean to close AGEod as our games pay our wages and we are still a very small company.

AGEod policy is to communicate when our game enters the last weeks of the BETA phase. However, regarding BoA Gold, I corrected the website according to our business plan. In the thousands of threads in this forum I had missed this thread about the add-on you're talking about. As you said, it was written one year ago and only recently brought back to life.

I hope this make things clearer, and I apologise for the inconvenience.

Best regards,

Korrigan

rwenstrup
Sergeant

Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:57 pm

The quality of these games has been fantastic. Being a wargamer since the early 60's I can attest to the vast majority of war games being mediocre at best. It is rare when you get good games that handle operational issues well.

In my humble opinion, the price of keeping the team at AGEOD together is well worth the investment to keep such excellent games coming...and I'm not saying this as fluff...I really believe these guys are making unique games that will be considered classics like Steel Panthers and those few great games we love.

Bottom line...I wouldn't worry about a few dollars...I would worry about those very few excellent games that are available!

Joe Bukal
Private

No Matter The Cost

Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:46 pm

No Matter The Cost I Will Buy Boa Two. I Have Played It Over And Over And Think It Is A Great War Game. I Should Know I Have Over 100 Board Games And 50 PC Games. Keep Up The Good Work. :nuts: :nuts:

Pocus

Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:21 pm

My apologises too, if some of you are disappointed by the changes of pricing policy for BOA2. I think Korrigan pretty well explained the why. I'll just add the pityful comment that we are not richer in 2008 than in 2006 and we still need all support you can muster so we can continue producing good games.

Send me PM with insults if it pleases you :)

dooya

Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:51 am

Pocus wrote:[...]
Send me PM with insults if it pleases you :)
Does this offer only refer to BoA related complaints, or can we also free our minds concerning things our wifes and bosses (mostly the same, hu? :siffle: ) spoiled our weekend with? :p leure:

:niark:
No quote - No bullshit!

GlobalExplorer
AGEod Veteran

Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:11 pm

I do not own BoA so I have no problem to pay full price!

Btw, I prefer to pay for the major update every 1-2 years, especially in the niche markets, instead of seeing my favourite games quickly disappear into oblivion after the release. So no problem if I will have to pay for AACW2 in 2009, granted it IS a major overhaul. Patches should be free of course.

I think we should be lenient with the developers, these guys need some money to live on, so 40-50 euro/bucks is just not enough for constant development over several years.

Heldenkaiser
AGEod Grognard

Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:57 pm

GlobalExplorer wrote:I think we should be lenient with the developers, these guys need some money to live on, so 40-50 euro/bucks is just not enough for constant development over several years.

I couldn't agree more, especially seeing the continuous further engine development we are getting here. I have given a different development company 30-40 bucks each time they came out with a new battle or campaign from the same conflict based on more or less exactly the same engine for years, so I am really more than just fine with paying Ageod a second time for a full new title on the same war. :)
[color="Gray"]"These Savages may indeed be a formidable Enemy to your raw American Militia, but, upon the King's regular & disciplined Troops, Sir, it is impossible they should make any Impression." -- General Edward Braddock[/color]
Colonial Campaigns Club (supports BoA and WiA)
[color="Gray"]"... and keep moving on." -- General U.S. Grant[/color]
American Civil War Game Club (supports AACW)

Qman39
Conscript

Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:48 pm

One more comment to add to the discussion. If anyone has had a problem with the Ageod games I am sure that you quickly see that Pocus and his team members take extraordinary measures to try and correct them. That alone makes me loyal to them and willing to pay for their products because we all know that is not always the case.

FM WarB
Colonel

Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:51 pm

I bought BoA in February. It was inexpensive, and it serves as a good introduction to the system which has many common elements in ACW and NCP. It requires less RAM etc, which is still currently a concern of mine.

I'll be happy to pay more for BoA2 as well as other titles, when the time comes. BoA 1 should continue to serve as a very playable and moddable inexpensive introduction to Aegod for many new gamers, and I hope it will be offered for a long time, as a bargain introductory game.

MarkShot

Fri May 09, 2008 2:55 am

Dale H wrote:Just recently reinstalled BoA (thanks Mark!) & I have been playing for a week now.

I am hooked & a very happy camper even though it took me a while. :coeurs:

Dale,

Sorry, I just noticed your post here. I just wanted to say that you are welcome. Glad you are enjoying the game.

I had a lot of fun with it when I first got it. The style of play is very different from other games where one must maintain the integrity of the front line and supply chains. BOA is much more fluid and is more of a game of "hit and run". I really should probably reload it and play again as the AI has been heavily tweaked since the very early days.

Have you tried any of the other games yet? AACW and NCP?

George40
Private

Sat May 10, 2008 3:11 pm

For what it is worth I loved BoA and will buy BoAII and likely many small products off of that engine. (I am ramping up on ACW now). I am very happy to support a small house producing such amazingly fun products, no discount needed here. We have all got to eat.

George

Boggit
Private

Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:04 pm

rwenstrup wrote:The quality of these games has been fantastic. Being a wargamer since the early 60's I can attest to the vast majority of war games being mediocre at best. It is rare when you get good games that handle operational issues well.

In my humble opinion, the price of keeping the team at AGEOD together is well worth the investment to keep such excellent games coming...and I'm not saying this as fluff...I really believe these guys are making unique games that will be considered classics like Steel Panthers and those few great games we love.

Bottom line...I wouldn't worry about a few dollars...I would worry about those very few excellent games that are available!

Sure it's a minor disappointment :p leure: that there won't be a discount after all, but when all's said and done we are getting a new game. AGEOD has done a sterling job of supporting its products with regular free updates.

Frankly I agree that a few extra dollars (or pounds in my case) isn't the end of the world. If it keeps AGEOD in business then I'm all for it.

Return to “Birth of America”