gwgardner
Brigadier General

embarkation

Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:09 pm

Hi,

I may be missing some feature concerning embarkation.

If a flotilla is in the sea region next to port (not in port), if I left-click and drag a land unit onto that flotilla, what really happens? Does the flotilla then go in to port to let the units board? Would it be faster or the same if I just took the flotilla to port first?

Thanks for any help

Gary

vonkraus

Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:01 am

gwgardner wrote:Hi,

I may be missing some feature concerning embarkation.

If a flotilla is in the sea region next to port (not in port), if I left-click and drag a land unit onto that flotilla, what really happens? Does the flotilla then go in to port to let the units board? Would it be faster or the same if I just took the flotilla to port first?

Thanks for any help

Gary

The flotilla will not enter the port to load the troops in the case that you cited. Instead the troops will load from long boats and various other small shore boats onto the ships which will have anchored near the shore. It usually takes about 5 days to complete such a maneuver and your flotilla will have to be ordered to remain in the sea region the entire turn. After the troops are loaded you can move off in the next turn.

Alternatively, you could enter the port (assuming you control it, which you might not). This will take the whole month. Then load your troops onto the ships in the harbor in the next month and move off to your next sunny destination in that same month. Both scenarios require 2 months to achieve but the first does not require you to control the port. If you do control the port and don't want your loading operations to be interrupted by enemy fleets that might enter the sea region, move into the port first.

In AACW, there will be some very interesting combination moves that will make this sort of maneuver quicker, allowing them to take place in the same turn. :sourcil:
Image Quando omni flunkus imbibo bière!

Pocus

Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:08 am

The flotilla will not enter the port to load the troops in the case that you cited. Instead the troops will load from long boats and various other small shore boats onto the ships which will have anchored near the shore. It usually takes about 5 days to complete such a maneuver and your flotilla will have to be ordered to remain in the sea region the entire turn. After the troops are loaded you can move off in the next turn.

You don't have to wait in this case, you can order the troop to load on ships AND the ships to move away. They will do so as soon as the load operations is finished.

And yes, in this example, it will be faster compared to go to the harbor and restart the next turn. It's a game engine limitation. On the other hand, if the ship start in an harbor, it can load immediatly the troops, move and unload in the same turn! See the New-York-Albany 'shuttle' as a fine example of the process. ;)

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Return to “Birth of America”