Temgesic
Sergeant

Noticed many leaders cant be promoted?

Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:13 pm

I have noticed as of late after much playing that several of the leaders in the game and now im referring to both sides cannot be promoted as they where historically McCulloch for example, only a 1-star when he at least should be able to be promoted 2-star. I could really go on forever.

Why is that? Lack of knowledge, stress to put the game out or are they thinking "nah, the players fix that themselves"

Durk

Re: Noticed many leaders cant be promoted?

Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:43 pm

Any military game will have controversy when generals have ratings and ranks and their historical position can be a bit vague. For the most part, this game allows promotions for leaders who had both positional (ie - appointed) leadership as well as functional leadership positions. McCulloch is a bit of an odd duck. He was a two star leader in the Mexican-American War, but in the Civil War he was only a one star leader even though he held a post of great responsibility and even led a wing of the Confederate Army.
As all CSA leaders were one star leaders initially, had McCulloch survived Wilson's Creek he may, indeed, have been promoted, but historically he was not.

When I play a game I am not looking to see if the designers 'got it right.' Instead, as when reading a book of history, I am looking for the designers interpretation of battles and leaders.

Temgesic
Sergeant

Re: Noticed many leaders cant be promoted?

Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:48 am

I understand what you mean. And Mcculloch was just an example, and if he personally lead a whole wing, why not keep him "promotable" if he is still alive. There are others both CSA & Union commanders that died early in the war that can be promoted to a 2-star or in some cases even 3-star generals.
Sure Bernard Bee was posthumonsly promoted but in the game you can manage to keep him alive and make him a corps commander. Even Stonewall Jackson can be promoted to 3-star army command.

These little things make up so much for me personally in the big run when you play.

Return to “Civil War II”