Bamak
Private

How to add new portraits and biographies for generals?

Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:37 pm

Hello!

I want to add some new portraits of generals. Can anyone tell me how to do this? It would be great :)
I tried to do this for russian general Flug (Unit_RUS_Flug) - East Prussia scenario, - but failed.

Also I want to add biographies for the generals. For some leaders it's easy to do - I just added new lines into Leaders Bios section of LocalStrings_EAW, but for some leaders this method doesn't work. For example, general Dragomirov (Unit_RUS_Dragomirov).

I need your help in these matters.

Thanks)
Last edited by Bamak on Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

PhilThib

Re: New generals and biographies

Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:31 am

Data of models (images included) is stored in a file name Models.cached (in the GameData/Models folder)... when you change something in models, like the picture, destroy this file...it will be recreated in your next run of the game and by then will take your latest changes, like pictures.

To add bios to leaders, there must be an entry in the string file which, in column A, starts with ldr_txt_
This is how it works in CW2 for instance.

This entry is absent, I believe it was not planned at all by the designer to have bios. You can add then yourself if you wish, just enter them at the end of the file. In addition, so generals, in the Models DB, have the entry ldr_txt_NoBio... which means it was a deliberate choice not to ever have one (e.g. fro Dragomirov).

Al this can be changed, but it will take a while to do so :papy:

Bamak
Private

Re: New generals and biographies

Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:55 pm

Thank you very much, your advice helped :) After editing model files and deleting Models.cached new portrait and bios appeared. :dada:

Bamak
Private

Re: How to add new portraits and biographies for generals?

Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:51 pm

When I started to work with portraits, I have chosen one for example - William P. Duvall.
As very meticulous man (I checked and edited all bios in CW2 for the Russian version :) ), I wanted to find out, who this guy was. But it's not him in the picture above - it's Colonel August V. Kautz commanded the military department of Arizona with his brevet rank of Major General.

And the general in the picture from my first post is not Vladimir Dragomirov - this is his brother, Abram Dragomirov.

Guys, how do you choose these portraits? :niark: Be more careful in the future ;)

Nikel

Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:31 pm

According to the russian wikipedia A. Dragomirov raised in the ranks through General of The Cavalry, one grade higher than his border V, Lieutenant General.

So perhaps is more appropriate and also easier to edit the name of the commander and change V. to A.

Nikel

Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:47 pm

Regarding William P. Duvall, I do not know why he was included in the game. Not remarkable his curriculum in the Great War.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/123165192#

Anyway a portrait that must be contemporary to the war is here

Bamak
Private

Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:38 pm

In East Prussia scenario (beginning at 8 august 1914) Dragomirov is a Lieutenant-General (G-l. under his name). At this time Abram Dragomirov was a Major-General. You can either change the picture and add a real portrait of Vladimir, without any manipulation of the model file, or edit model's and unit's files, turning him into Abram. I don't know, what is better :)
Vladimir Dragomirov

I agree with you about Duvall. It's strange choice.

Bamak
Private

Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:29 pm

Pictures of Vladimir Dragomirov for the game

Dragomirov's portrait

Copy files to:
Game folder->EAW->Graphics->Portraits->Leaders Portraits
Game folder->EAW->Graphics->Units->Leaders Units
Game folder->EAW->Graphics->Armies&Fleets->Leaders Armies

Return to “EAW Mods”