BIGtrouble77
Conscript

BoA in Linux

Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:45 am

Not sure anyone cares here, but I got BoA working quite well in linux via Cedega. Now that I use Linux 90% of the time I can finally play BoA much more. :)

oi_you_nutter
Corporal

Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:34 am

well done,

i have heard of WINE but not of Cedega, how practical is it to replace the loved/hated windows when it comes to playing other game ?

Pocus

Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:23 am

Hey that's cool! Can you run at a higher res than 1024. The interface is cramped at such res.

Good job, I remember that some betas tried with Wine without success.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Robin

Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:30 am

I've tryed to run BoA on a Mac (G4 and OSX) using Virtual PC, but it did not work. :p leure:
This info about Unix give me some hope as Mac is "Unix friendly"...
Anybody have an idea to do it ?
"Le laid ne fera jamais vendre..."
Raymond Loewy (un graphiste français un petit peu plus connu que moi... :sourcil:
Visit my blog : http://nouveaux-horizons.blogspot.com/

Lafrite

Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:47 pm

Robin wrote:I've tryed to run BoA on a Mac (G4 and OSX) using Virtual PC, but it did not work. :p leure:
This info about Unix give me some hope as Mac is "Unix friendly"...
Anybody have an idea to do it ?

Yes, sign it :niark: : http://www.petitiononline.com/c4osx/petition.html

BIGtrouble77
Conscript

Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:00 am

I'm running linux completely now. There's definately a learning curve if you're coming from windows, but with distros like Ubuntu things are getting much easier. It took me about 4 months to adjust and become productive in linux after using microsoft since DOS 4.0. (I am a network admin tho...)

Cedega is essentially WineX, and is designed specifically for games. I pay a nominal fee for cedega because it's so convenient compared to wine. I have Civ IV running perfectly, World of Warcraft running perfectly, BoA running perfectly, Tropico 2 running perfectly, Pirates! running perfectly and Oblivion running OK (not optimized yet). I'm still working on getting Port Royale 2 running (copy protection issues) and Galactic Civ. II. I do run some sports sim games througn VMWare(virtualization software).

I play BoA at 1280x1024 in window mode, I ran it in 1024x768 just for the screenshot. I haven't been able to get full screen working yet (1920x1200), but it may just be a config issue- I kinda like running it in a window now so I haven't tried very hard. The game runs just as fast as windows, but I have a very powerful machine so I may not notice any performance drops.

BTW, I'm running Ubuntu Dapper x64 Release (smp).

Duncan Ferguson
Conscript

Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:08 am

I use Ubuntu 64 too, but I'm not into paying for Cedega too much. I still have to make up my mind about it, but I don't like the idea of having to pay (even more!) to play my games under Ubuntu. I have Windows for that and Ubuntu for the rest. OK, I paid for my Windows, but not so sure about Cedega's monthly fees. And games are windows-native, unfortunately.

Anyway, I always say at Slitherine developers' forum that porting games to Linux is the way to go for independent developers, since linux community is hungry for commercial games of quality. Look at the NWN success (in that community, I mean), a lot of people bought it just because it had a linux client. Quake and Doom are extremely popular too. But there is room for strategy games too, people love Battle for Wesnoth. Give them a very high quality game like BoA and success is guaranteed. And then, we should conquer the world and then the moon and the,,,oh, wait!

Duncan Ferguson
Conscript

Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:07 am

I finally suscribed...sad day, indeed :p leure:

Could you tell me how did you make it work? thank you in advance...

I get an error about debugger or something. it installs ok, though.

EDIT: i managed to install the demo with some error messages. This means that the debugger error message has something to do with the serial code. Anyway, the demo starts but gets almost stucked at loading the game...it also says that supports Spellforce 2 but i cannot install it...Oh well!

BIGtrouble77
Conscript

Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:41 pm

Duncan Ferguson wrote:I finally suscribed...sad day, indeed :p leure:

Could you tell me how did you make it work? thank you in advance...

I get an error about debugger or something. it installs ok, though.

EDIT: i managed to install the demo with some error messages. This means that the debugger error message has something to do with the serial code. Anyway, the demo starts but gets almost stucked at loading the game...it also says that supports Spellforce 2 but i cannot install it...Oh well!

Nice! I'll try and post my config today. I had serious performance issues with the default config to the point of having to forcefully close cedega so your issues are normal. I also hope you have an NVIDIA card. I had to install the nvidia drivers from the site with 32bit opengl support for everything to work.

Just so you know, I manually copied over my BoA windows installation rather than install it through Cedega... So i'm not sure how well the installer works.

I actually see some european game companies supporting Linux more simply because of the issues the EU has with MS. Fortunately the europeans make the best strategy games. ;-)

BIGtrouble77
Conscript

Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:54 pm

Here's my BoA config. Note that it's set at 1280x1024 window. You'll want to change it to something lower if your screen only goes up to 1280x1024. Also, Cedega takes your resolutions specified in your X config. So make sure you put in alternate resolutions (like 1152x864) in there if you want to run this game at those res' in window mode.

http://bob.bah.net/mullet/config

You can cut and past everything in the [WINE] section i think. If you use my paths things will not work, obviously.

Duncan Ferguson
Conscript

Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:42 am

Hi, thank you for the feedback.

Lots of things to work them out...Cedega's been problematic from the start:

1.) First I had to --force -architecture the deb because they have no .deb for 64 bits. So I guess my drivers (the NVIDIA driver) are not working properly.

2.) Cedega only supports some games from their list. The others work according to some users, but it depends on the Cedega engine version and on the setup...it doesn't seem straightforward (somehow, I thought Cedega was straightforward)

3.) The installer works with Cedega, but it gives some errors at the end of the installation proccess. Then, Cedega is not able to execute the program with some of the engines. With others, the game starts, but some error messages appear complaining about debugger.

There are many things to tweak. I could go back to 32-bits Ubuntu, but I would lose all my music and setup...I can save them, but it's a whole lot of work. I could try with the 64-bits, but I have to install the 32-bit opengl support and then try again...

Thanks for your help, anyway...

BIGtrouble77
Conscript

Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:11 am

Duncan Ferguson wrote:1.) First I had to --force -architecture the deb because they have no .deb for 64 bits. So I guess my drivers (the NVIDIA driver) are not working properly.

This is true, but it's not a big deal because it still works just as well as it would on a 32bit system. You HAVE to install the nvidia driver from the install script on nvidia's site. You cannot use the driver in Ubuntu's repository because it will not support the 32bit libraries. When you run the install script it will ask you if you want to install them... Obviously answer yes.
Duncan Ferguson wrote:2.) Cedega only supports some games from their list. The others work according to some users, but it depends on the Cedega engine version and on the setup...it doesn't seem straightforward (somehow, I thought Cedega was straightforward)

What I do is check out the cedega forums and see how well certain games are running. If there's a game I like and it's getting decent support then I'll need to do a little research and try and get some good config files. Had to do a bunch of reading to get Oblivion working. Fortunately, BoA is a piece of cake to get working. I have a few games working that aren't officially supported. Unfortunately I have to find cracks for most of my games because things like safedisc can cause problems in an emulated environment.
Duncan Ferguson wrote:3.) The installer works with Cedega, but it gives some errors at the end of the installation proccess. Then, Cedega is not able to execute the program with some of the engines. With others, the game starts, but some error messages appear complaining about debugger.

I've only used the most recent engine and haven't had any issues.
Duncan Ferguson wrote:There are many things to tweak. I could go back to 32-bits Ubuntu, but I would lose all my music and setup...I can save them, but it's a whole lot of work. I could try with the 64-bits, but I have to install the 32-bit opengl support and then try again...

Once you get the 32bit opengl libraries installed i'm sure most of your problems will go away. I'm suprised cedega is even running without them because the compatibility wizard will fail.
Duncan Ferguson wrote:Thanks for your help, anyway...

Don't give up so soon!!!

Duncan Ferguson
Conscript

Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:21 am

BIGtrouble77 wrote:Don't give up so soon!!!

I've alreagy given up :niark: , my usual approach to all things Linux

1.) Try it (and fail miserably) in a couple of ways
2.) Destroy the keyboard (and sometimes the mouse)
3.) Try again two days later or so and get a complete SUCCESS

So i guess i'll take a look at my NVIDIA drivers...but the ones from repository work, I'm lazy to tinker with things that already work from box.

BTW, Cedega's test (opengl, sound and all) that comes with the wizard was passed by my system without problems :8o:

UPDATE: Nvidia drivers installed and updated, with opengl 32 bits support... :niark:

BIGtrouble77
Conscript

Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:53 pm

Well, I can assure you cedega works fine in a 64bit environment. You're more than welcome to ask any questions if your still having trouble.

General Custer
Conscript

Configuration ?

Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:32 pm

Hello,

is BIGtrouble77 still around here ?

I would like to have some information on how to make BoA (and AACW) run under linux: I was no able to find any info on configuration/setup in order to have the game running. :-(

The site http://bob.bah.net/mullet/config is not responding anymore...

Regards,
Gal Custer

General Custer
Conscript

ça marche !!

Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:12 pm

ça fonctionne !

Voici ce que j'ai fait:
- installé la dernière version de wine (0.9.58)
- installé DirectX 9.0c comme indiqué sur
http://wine-review.blogspot.com/2008/03/directx-90c-march-2008-redistributable.html
- installé ddrawex.dll (on peut trouver ce fichier là: http://www.fichier-dll.fr/ddrawex.dll,666 )

Et ensuite le jeu fonctionne !

Je m'en retourn faire sonner la charge et tonner les canons ! :-)

General Custer
Conscript

Found a way !

Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:15 pm

Hello,

just to tell that there's a way to make AACW work under linux; check following thread (french inside):
http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=8419

Rafiki

Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:19 pm

Any helpful soul that might care to translate/post it here in English?
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

Lafrite

Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:56 pm

It's runs !

- install last version of Wine (0.9.58)
- install DirectX as explained on http://wine-review.blogspot.com/2008/03/directx-90c-march-2008-redistributable.html
- install ddrawex.dll (you can found this file on : http://www.fichier-dll.fr/ddrawex.dll,666 )

-------------------------
ça fonctionne !

Voici ce que j'ai fait:
- installé la dernière version de wine (0.9.58)
- installé DirectX 9.0c comme indiqué sur
http://wine-review.blogspot.com/2008/03/directx-90c-march-2008-redistributable.html
- installé ddrawex.dll (on peut trouver ce fichier là: http://www.fichier-dll.fr/ddrawex.dll,666 )

Return to “Birth of America”