Heldenkaiser
AGEod Grognard

Army names

Wed May 07, 2008 11:38 am

How are army names determined? Is it a property of the commander, or of the HQ? It doesn't seem to be the region they're in. Just wondering because if I create an army on McDowell, it always ends up the Northeastern VA Army. If McClellan, the Army of the Potomac. Frémont gave me the Army of the Tennessee, which is halfway reasonable for an army formed in Columbus, KY. But creating an army on Butler in DC just gave me "Union Army". :confused:
[color="Gray"]"These Savages may indeed be a formidable Enemy to your raw American Militia, but, upon the King's regular & disciplined Troops, Sir, it is impossible they should make any Impression." -- General Edward Braddock[/color]
Colonial Campaigns Club (supports BoA and WiA)
[color="Gray"]"... and keep moving on." -- General U.S. Grant[/color]
American Civil War Game Club (supports AACW)

jackfox
Sergeant

Wed May 07, 2008 5:02 pm

My experience has been that the location of the leader at the time that the army is created DOES have an effect on the name of the army. Fremont gave you the Army of the Tennessee when he was in Columbus. If you were in, say, Rolla, then it likely would have been Army of the West for example. It seems too that army names like Army of the Southwest and Army of the Ohio are used only after Army of the West and Army of the Tennessee are created.
[color="Gray"]"Was it God's command we heard, or His forgiveness we must forever implore?" — J.L. Chamberlain[/color]

Pocus

Wed May 07, 2008 6:49 pm

Indeed, the HQ name is determined from the region you create the army. Now if the name is already taken, it will take another, perhaps less fit.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Heldenkaiser
AGEod Grognard

Wed May 07, 2008 9:22 pm

Thanks! :)
[color="Gray"]"These Savages may indeed be a formidable Enemy to your raw American Militia, but, upon the King's regular & disciplined Troops, Sir, it is impossible they should make any Impression." -- General Edward Braddock[/color]

Gray_Lensman

Wed May 07, 2008 9:27 pm

deleted

Brochgale
Brigadier General

Wed May 07, 2008 9:39 pm

Gray_Lensman wrote:It would be nice if at some point in the future, gamers could actually name the army HQs themselves.

Is there no way at present to do it - maybe one of the modders knows a way to do this and can add their pennies worth?
"How noble is one, to love his country:how sad the fate to mingle with those you hate"
W.A.Fletcher "Memoirs Of A Confederate Soldier"

Gray_Lensman

Wed May 07, 2008 9:42 pm

deleted

Brochgale
Brigadier General

Wed May 07, 2008 9:51 pm

Gray_Lensman wrote:No, it would have to built into the game engine... Currently the game engine picks names from a predefined list to match the regional location of the HQ as Pocus said above.

I take it there is no way to change the predefined list then? Or would that be a time consuming complication etc for those who have to do the work?
I gather it is something that the ordinary player could not do for themselves - being illeterate in such matters like myself.
I know that some players want to change the names of units but I would settle for just changing the names of Armies.
"How noble is one, to love his country:how sad the fate to mingle with those you hate"

Gray_Lensman

Wed May 07, 2008 10:06 pm

deleted

Heldenkaiser
AGEod Grognard

Thu May 08, 2008 2:34 pm

Follow-up question: If I move the army to a different location, can I try to get a new name by dissolving and instantly recreating the army? Or does the first name "stick"? And would it be NM/VP-neutral? Thanks! :)

jackfox
Sergeant

Thu May 08, 2008 5:16 pm

Yes, as long as it happens within the same turn it's okay. The tool tip will warn you otherwise, but nothing happens. I do this all the time to change army names.
[color="Gray"]"Was it God's command we heard, or His forgiveness we must forever implore?" — J.L. Chamberlain[/color]

Heldenkaiser
AGEod Grognard

Thu May 08, 2008 7:20 pm

jackfox wrote:Yes, as long as it happens within the same turn it's okay. The tool tip will warn you otherwise, but nothing happens. I do this all the time to change army names.

I had hoped that would work. Thx! :)

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Thu May 08, 2008 7:39 pm

Heldenkaiser wrote:I had hoped that would work. Thx! :)

Only problem with that....technically I believe...is that your Corps commanders will lose their bonus from the Army Commanders.

jackfox
Sergeant

Thu May 08, 2008 8:23 pm

Banks6060 wrote:Only problem with that....technically I believe...is that your Corps commanders will lose their bonus from the Army Commanders.

I just re-create the corps after the new army is formed. This all occurs during the same turn. I don't think any bonuses are lost in this process, are they?

Heldenkaiser
AGEod Grognard

Thu May 08, 2008 10:02 pm

I believe I have seen corps that were detached and then recreated receive the bonus, but I am not sure.

Brochgale
Brigadier General

Thu May 08, 2008 10:18 pm

Gray_Lensman wrote:It's probably possible to change the predefined list, but to what purpose? You would still occasionally have mismatched names chosen by the game engine for you instead of creating your own.

As far as units names are concerned, the reinforcements especially in the two 1861 scenarios are predefined and embedded into several interactive files... events (.sct), models (.mdl) and units (.uni) to list a few. These would be far more difficult to change than just Army HQs names.

Ah okay - understood. I am not so worried about changing unit names, just have a desire to change the Army names or at least name my own armies. I know some guys want to change the lot and I guess that would be a whole lot of extra work for someone?

LMUBill
Lieutenant

Fri May 09, 2008 2:52 pm

Gray_Lensman wrote:No, it would have to built into the game engine... Currently the game engine picks names from a predefined list to match the regional location of the HQ as Pocus said above.

So that's why I have names like the Army of Rusty Wallace Chevrolet/Jeep/Geo and the Army of Bob's Pizza Place? Cool!! :niark:

Then I need to form my next Army in Perry, KY as I should get the Army of Krypton. That super force would be unstoppable. :king:

Jorje Vidrio
Corporal

Changing Names of Armies?

Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:25 pm

So the name of the army is determined by the current location of the commander forming the army.

So what's in the program's name list? Are they regions of the state the leader is in? or nearby rivers? or the closest large town? :confused:

I'm playing the Union in 1861 and don't want McDowell's army to be 'the Army of Northeast Virginia'. If I moved McDowell north a bit to Maryland, would the new name be 'the Army of Maryland'?

thanks!

SleeStak
Corporal

Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:39 pm

I just tried making an army in VA and MD with the Army of the Potomac already created. In VA the army was named 'The Army of the James' and in MD the army was named 'Union Army'. Hope it helps

Cromagnonman
Brigadier General

Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:51 am

When I formed an army in Quebec under Meade, it was "of the Cumberland." Not exactly the base line of operations.
"firstest with the mostest"

"I fights mit Sigel"

JKM
Private

Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:51 am

As someone threaded a while ago..it's not too diificult to alter the Factions file in Game data. Even an 'L' plate PC operator like me can do it...there's a line in both the 1 confederate and 0 Union Folders thats called GHQInfo.
afre a look to see how the programme named its armies,it wasn't hard to invent a few alternatives. Thus I have CSA Army of the James, Army of the Carolinas ,and a cleverly named Army of the South ( that took hours to come up with )..There are no more actual armys to choose from ( so i still have the 5, or 6 limit, whatever it is ) , but I do have a few alternatives for naming now.

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”