FM WarB
Colonel

Naval war and weather.

Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:20 pm

Except for snow or blizzard, there is no weather type for a storm at sea or a hurricane. Storms and hurricanes destroyed more warships than enemy action during this period.

"Foul weather" Jack Byron lost more ships to bad weather than the rest of the navy combined did to enemy action.

Has any thought been given to this? The naval campaigns were seasonal for a reason. Navies tried to stay out of the Caribbean during hurricane season, and out of the North Atlantic during Nor' easter season.

Jabberwock

Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:48 am

This would be a good cross-game feature.
[color="DimGray"] You deserve to be spanked[/color]

lodilefty

Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:43 am

FM WarB wrote:Except for snow or blizzard, there is no weather type for a storm at sea or a hurricane. Storms and hurricanes destroyed more warships than enemy action during this period.

"Foul weather" Jack Byron lost more ships to bad weather than the rest of the navy combined did to enemy action.

Has any thought been given to this? The naval campaigns were seasonal for a reason. Navies tried to stay out of the Caribbean during hurricane season, and out of the North Atlantic during Nor' easter season.

As it now stands, weather in oceans is certainly benign. However, bad weather only causes a small amount of damage, and 'freeze' only forces a ship to port, if there is one [I think]. New weather type is in the hands of Hok and 'the Philippes'.

However, I'm trying a 'storm at sea' event, which if it works could address this. [It's very similar to the 'epidemics' events in AACW: random chance, select a unit, reduce coheson and strength]. Just needs testing..... :siffle:
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

PhilThib

Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:23 pm

I would really love a storm at sea event...many expeditions got lost or failed because of this :indien:

Pocus

Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:49 am

It would be better as an event I think, testing the weather condition of the region before anything else (a new command though)

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Farfarer2
Private

Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:26 am

Before you get carried away, the naval operations that impact BOA are essentially coastal and "troop transport". Any naval officer can 'read' the weather for days out, so there should be an option to 'risk it' or not, vice "too bad, so sad" (or for Pocus, "tant pis pour eux")
Farfarer

FM WarB
Colonel

Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:40 am

"Foul weather" Jack Byron was not good at reading weather four days out. The fleet battle of Chesapeake outside Yorktown affected land operations.

Return to “Birth of America”