FM WarB
Colonel

Naval war/movement and a peek at ACW

Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:27 pm

I notice that ACW has added the water terrain type Coastal and the Ship movement type coastal. Does the BoA engine support these, should someone care to add them? Will they be added to BoA 2?

I notice that there's one placeholder free in the ACW Terrains folder. Would it be possible to add one more water terrain type?

Here's my idea for four types of water terrain: Shallow, River, Lake/Coastal and Ocean. Shallow could be used, for example for the Mowhawk and Hudson Rivers north of Albany, NY. River would be used for Hudson and Delaware Rivers as far as Albany and Philadelphia. I'd like to rename the AllWater movetype, or add a fifth water move type.

Terrain type Shallow River Lake/Coastal Ocean Model types
MoveType
Shallow yes yes yes(slower) No Bateaux, Gundulow, Galley, gunboat, bomb ketch
Coastal No yes yes No Schooners, sloops, cutters, ketches, brigs, luggers not fitted for ocean sailing
"AllWater" No yes yes yes Any Vessel 50 guns or less
Ocean No No yes yes Any vessel more than 50 guns
a new type? yes yes yes yes

Vessels of Shallow and Coastal type may be portaged. This represents overland movement for bateaux and disassembly/rebuilding for all others, thus is much slower for them, depending on size/armament.

Jabberwock

Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:19 pm

Adding these new water terrain and move types to ACW as well as BoA is a great idea, it would be very helpful to modders.
[color="DimGray"] You deserve to be spanked[/color]

PhilThib

Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:32 pm

Coastal (which applies to Great Lakes too) has made it to BOA2 ... :indien:

FM WarB
Colonel

Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:40 pm

Are there any other naval changes? The Brit naval oob for first three years is quite innacurate, starting with obvious fact that no 1st (Never) or 2nd raters were in North America before the Fench intervention.

lodilefty

Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:02 am

FM WarB wrote:Are there any other naval changes? The Brit naval oob for first three years is quite innacurate, starting with obvious fact that no 1st (Never) or 2nd raters were in North America before the Fench intervention.

do you have an OOB?
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

FM WarB
Colonel

Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:03 pm

I'm working on it, thanks to inter library loan

Return to “Birth of America”