FM WarB
Colonel

Bateaux, portages and forts

Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:12 am

Bateaux were shallow draft boats intended to not only sail shallow waters, but be transportable over land.
Portages were those areas between bodies of water or portions of rivers not suitable to navigation, where bateaux were moved overland.
Forts, such as Forts Edward, Ticonderoga, St John, Niagra, and Stanwix were paced to guard these portage areas.

This is not represented in BoA. The Mowhawk river cannot be navigated, nor the Hudson, north of Albany.
The whole historic reason for using that lake/river complex for movement/supply is not operative in the game.

Is this being addressed in BoA 2?

Two sources:

Richard M. Ketchum, Saratoga, Turning Point of the American Revolution. Starts out with an account of Benjamin Franklin and his Congressional delegation's journey from Manhatten to Montreal in the spring of 1776.

http://www.dmna.state.ny.us/historic/articles/bateau.htm A good net article about the topic.

Hok
General

Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:27 pm

This point isn't in features yet.

I'll will see how we can represent portage in BOA2 :sourcil:

lodilefty

Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:40 pm

Hok wrote:This point isn't in features yet.

I'll will see how we can represent portage in BOA2 :sourcil:

I tested this concept in my BoA mod by putting a 'transitionlink' between the areas involved. As long as the link 'starts' and 'ends' water regions, it appears to have no effect on land units....

I modded the portage between Lac Champlain and the St. Lawrence river, and it works OK.

It would need testing to see how this works between 2 adjacent water regions...

[the Mowhawk river was navigable to Stanwix, but there was a significant portage between the Hudson and mouth of the Mowhawk due to the rapids and falls. Todays' Erie Canal has a 5 liftlock 'staircase' that drops quite a way...]
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

Hok
General

Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:02 pm

lodilefty wrote:I tested this concept in my BoA mod by putting a 'transitionlink' between the areas involved. As long as the link 'starts' and 'ends' water regions, it appears to have no effect on land units....

I modded the portage between Lac Champlain and the St. Lawrence river, and it works OK.

It would need testing to see how this works between 2 adjacent water regions...

[the Mowhawk river was navigable to Stanwix, but there was a significant portage between the Hudson and mouth of the Mowhawk due to the rapids and falls. Todays' Erie Canal has a 5 liftlock 'staircase' that drops quite a way...]

Ok we will use link to represent portage :indien:

FM WarB
Colonel

Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:17 pm

Good solution; thanks. Perhaps prtage could be speeded up?
...Next step, naval battle of Valcour Island, which will require boat building.

I can ask...

Farfarer2
Private

Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:21 am

Agree. OT, but BTW had a look at Beauséjour today - you can see why it was located there - nice sight lines, higher than the surrounding land etc. Quite a sideshow (game-wise) really, but there is also "Fort Lawrence" in the area, and (weirdly) the radio was covering a story on the "paving over and destruction of [US] Civil War Battelfields. Synchronicity.
Farfarer

lodilefty

Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:05 pm

FM WarB wrote:Good solution; thanks. Perhaps prtage could be speeded up?
...Next step, naval battle of Valcour Island, which will require boat building.

I can ask...

To date, we've been working with existing terrain types for the jumplinks. We can always discuss 'portage', 'canal' type links, and see about getting them 'in there'... :niark:
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]

[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

Hobbes

Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:30 pm

I'm glad to see this is being addressed as it seemed a fairly big ommision in certain places in BOA. I look forward to BOA II!

Cheers, Chris

Return to “Birth of America”