jkk
Private

1775-1783 campaign: what's considered good?

Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:58 pm

Okay, Independence Day has arrived. Woohoo, We The People... Status:

Canada: we didn't do that, eh. If we need any poutine wagons we will consider it.

New England: what remains of the first and second British forces (about eight variously depleted regiments) is falling back from Springfield/Hartford on Boston. Portsmouth, Norwich and Albany were threatened by never taken; we took back Hartford and Springfield when the British overextended themselves without adequate garrisons on the flank. I would have the war won up here except that a vast host of Germans has just landed in Boston, so we're going to have to try and do this again. Hope it snows soon. We have an effective main force of about twelve regiments, and it isn't enough, so we are probably falling back again. Outlook: was good, now grim.

Middle States: only serious contention is around Ft. Stanwix, which those idiots found a way to lose. Someone will swing for that one. Other than that, full Colonial control along the seaboard from New York to Baltimore with a few garrisons, and a strong rear area base in Albany. Outlook: good.

South Central: contested but winnable, assuming a boatload of Germans doesn't show up. We should secure the Chesapeake region before winter, which doesn't seem to hit hard here anyway. Occasional fights in NC. Outlook: pretty good.

Deep South: half British controlled; we are more a nuisance than an opponent. However, Cornwallis has shown up and we don't have anything that can take him on directly unless he splits up, which we hope he doesn't anyway. Outlook: fair.

West: most of our garrisons are fine. Can't do much else. Outlook: good.

Sea: you must be joking. Outlook: pointless.

Is this considered doing well for the Colonials at July 1776 or whenever the Germans land?

orca
Lieutenant

Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:20 am

Badly beating up all of the 1775 British forces is about the best you can expect to do. I'm guessing that in Boston you've only seen about 1/3-1/4 of the reinforcements that will be coming in 1776. Keep those levies coming because you're going to need them.

I think you're doing very well.

FM WarB
Colonel

Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:49 pm

Playing as Brits, I was holding Boston in 1776. One large reinforcement group landed in Halifax with their fleet disappearing, and another group landed in the West Indies with their fleet disappearing. I had not moved the Boston transports to Halifax (not expecting reinforcements to arrive there) but I had moved the West Indies transport squadron to St Augusta to move a force I had been building there. I was screwed for the 76 campaign season.
Maybe Athena knows where reinforcemants land.

jkk
Private

Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:50 am

orca wrote:Badly beating up all of the 1775 British forces is about the best you can expect to do. I'm guessing that in Boston you've only seen about 1/3-1/4 of the reinforcements that will be coming in 1776. Keep those levies coming because you're going to need them.

I think you're doing very well.

Okay. Based on this vast host I'm seeing in Boston, it appears to me that I should expect to be mostly chased out of New England. It also appears to me that I could probably fall back on Norwich, Ticonderoga, Stanwix and toward Philly, which would mean the British and Germans would probably divide up into more or less fightable groups and chase after me in the winter. That ought to whittle them down a little and get them outside mutual support. I don't think I ought to give up too much without a fight, but since Washington can retreat before combat fairly easily I shouldn't hesitate to offer battle when we aren't too badly outnumbered. Right?

jkk
Private

Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:15 am

I think I did worse than expected. It's October 1776. I'm losing everywhere but the South Central, and the only reason I'm not losing there is that the British haven't bothered to operate there much yet. I'm run out of Stanwix and I don't see how I can possibly hold Ticonderoga and Albany. They can have Norwich any time it's worth their time to take it. In Maine I'll have to fall back on Falmouth. Half a dozen of my generals are recovering from wounds, including George.

Is it normal for the Colonials to have their faces beaten in as Winter 1776/77 sets in?

Farfarer2
Private

Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:15 am

If you set the AI to Harder, it becomes that much more painful. (Of course at "normal" it really is just training for YOU. )

Whatever "bonus" goes to the AI in combat resolution means you really need superior odds and and superior leadership, so be careful.

BTW pet peeve is "improving" the AI by loading the dice rather than, oh, say, making the AI better!
Farfarer

lodilefty

Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:03 pm

Farfarer2 wrote:If you set the AI to Harder, it becomes that much more painful. (Of course at "normal" it really is just training for YOU. )

Whatever "bonus" goes to the AI in combat resolution means you really need superior odds and and superior leadership, so be careful.

BTW pet peeve is "improving" the AI by loading the dice rather than, oh, say, making the AI better!

The AI also gets more reinforcements [in some scenarios...] :niark:
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

orca
Lieutenant

Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:41 am

jkk wrote:Is it normal for the Colonials to have their faces beaten in as Winter 1776/77 sets in?

That's what happened in real life :)

Seriously if you haven't been shut out anywhere you should be OK.

Remember that the British get next to no more reinforcements - you keep getting new troops. Hang on till the French arrive and you'll be fine.

I suspect you've been fighting more than you needed to. There is no city that is worth fighting for - not Stanwix, not Ticonderoga. Keep your armies on the run and try to loop around and hit isolated forces. Make the British garrison everything, and keep the levies coming in. If the British insist on killing one of your armies make them run to the end of the earth to do it.

Ardie
Captain

Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:34 pm

Well, as it has already been said...the Brits get massive reinforcements during 1776. Nothing much you can do except to avoid an early showdown.

This is the time when you need to build your army once the continentals become available.

Return to “Birth of America”