Heldenkaiser
AGEod Grognard

Niagara Oddity

Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:31 pm

I believed I have played about a dozen games on BoA in which I crossed the Niagara one way or the other without problems. However, yesterday in a game of 1813, suddenly my British army (under Sir Gordon Drummond, I believe) was unable to cross from Ft. Erie over to Ft. Niagara. When I dragged them there, a move was plotted all around the lake, with a projected travel time of a staggering 106 days! For a moment I thought maybe my memory was faulty and they actually needed the river to be frozen in order to cross (it's been a while since I last played BoA). However, that was in July 1813; next month, August 1813, they suddenly could cross without problems, taking a mere 11 days to the American shore. Any idea what was going on in July? I would welcome any explanation. :)
[color="Gray"]"These Savages may indeed be a formidable Enemy to your raw American Militia, but, upon the King's regular & disciplined Troops, Sir, it is impossible they should make any Impression." -- General Edward Braddock[/color]
Colonial Campaigns Club (supports BoA and WiA)
[color="Gray"]"... and keep moving on." -- General U.S. Grant[/color]
American Civil War Game Club (supports AACW)

lodilefty

Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:54 pm

??? :8o:
I see nothing in terrain, links or weather that would do that.
Weather that time of year doesn't freeze, and the MajorRiverCrossing link wouldn't stop you from crossing with land units....

Can you repeat it by restoring older save and trying again?
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

PhilThib

Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:19 am

Have you checked if you have Canadian militias in your brit army...because if you have units that are area-tied, this might be the cause... initially, they were not even allowed to leave their home area.

It was changed in BoA 1.1 at the request of some players and they are now allowed to leave, but are extremely slowed in doing...might be the cause...

If there are some, try to remove them from the army, and attempt the move again. If the time is different, you have the answer...if not, I am at a loss and would need a save :indien:

orca
Lieutenant

Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:22 am

Was the US Navy blocking you?

Heldenkaiser
AGEod Grognard

Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:37 am

Thank you. I will check about the militia (in fact, I rearranged some things in Drummond's command from the turn he could not cross to the one in which he could cross. :)

Navy blocking: The river is not a waterway, it's divided between land regions ... so could it? :innocent:
[color="Gray"]"These Savages may indeed be a formidable Enemy to your raw American Militia, but, upon the King's regular & disciplined Troops, Sir, it is impossible they should make any Impression." -- General Edward Braddock[/color]

lodilefty

Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:16 pm

Heldenkaiser wrote:Thank you. I will check about the militia (in fact, I rearranged some things in Drummond's command from the turn he could not cross to the one in which he could cross. :)

Navy blocking: The river is not a waterway, it's divided between land regions ... so could it? :innocent:

No, navy can't block unless there is a separate water region there....

...which there isn't!
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]

[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

Heldenkaiser
AGEod Grognard

Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:54 pm

lodilefty wrote:No, navy can't block unless there is a separate water region there....

...which there isn't!

I thought so. Thanks! :)

Return to “Birth of America”