FM WarB
Colonel

Canadians recruited to fight for the USA, 1775-76 (historical)

Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:26 pm

1st Canadian, mainly from Montreal, and 2nd Canadian, after the capture of Trois Rivieres. These were recruited late 1775 through early 1776 in Canada and fought on the Patriot side. The 2nd survived most of the war, becoming Hazlett's or Congress' Own Regiment, recruiting in the USA from various sources, and containing two battalions at one point. The 1st or Livingstone's regiment, I'd guess, became a New York State regiment. Hazlett's Regiment had quite a distiguished service record.
Is this portrayed in any scenarios or mods?

PhilThib

Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm

Not at all :king: this could be made as a game event though... thanks for the info. :coeurs:

FM WarB
Colonel

Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:06 pm

If captured and held at least a month, I'd suggest one regt recruitable in Montreal, one in Trois Rivieres, and one in Quebec. These should be untrained Regulars, 1st 2nd and 3rd Canadian. The Americans hoped to recruit more than they did, and never captured Quebec. The possibility of Canadian recruitment will give the American player more reason to consider invading Canada. I gather most American players never try it; here's the inducement.

orca
Lieutenant

Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:24 am

Well destroying the depot in Montreal is a decent incentive.

A possible problem is that these regular could arrive well before the USA has any real regulars. The militia upgrades don't come until the start of 1776. To me they ought to be militia regiments with only one or two elements (until they absorb replacements of course). They could then upgrade to continentals with the rest of the units in 1776. If you don't get them by then too bad.

That might still make them more powerful than they really were. The Americans had very limited success recruiting Canadians, especially relative to the Brits (who recruited very well from the Anglos)

PhilThib

Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:24 am

True :indien: I read somewhere that even the French-Canadians were more pro-Brit than pro-Americans (especially since the Quebec Act of 1773 that gave them quite a few civilian garantees they did not even have under the French Regime :sourcil: )...

Your suggestion is fine, Militia they should be (may be a special breed :siffle: )

orca
Lieutenant

Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:00 am

The main effect of the Quebec act was the replacement of common (English) law with civil law. And of course the toleration of Catholics. Both were welcome by the habitants. And this was one of the grievances of the Americans:

"For abolishing the free System of English Laws in a neighbouring Province, establishing therein an Arbitrary government, and enlarging its Boundaries so as to render it at once an example and fit instrument for introducing the same absolute rule into these Colonies"

So the Americans were pretty unrealistic in expecting much help from the habitants. (Which didn't stop them of course :) )

lodilefty

Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:58 am

According to 'ye olde wiki-pedia'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1st_Canadian_Regiment
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2nd_Canadian_Regiment

Looks like we should put them in, but tied to Ft. Chambly and Montreal...
..and a 3rd Regiment tied to Quebec

I propose to create them as NY Militia for testing. Then we could create a new unit if needed..... :sourcil:
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

Return to “Birth of America”