orca
Lieutenant

Reinforcements capturing a town?

Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:29 am

In 1776 Lee retook New York from a British army that had wandered too far into New England. Two turns later (I think) Grey's army of reinforcements appeared inside the city of New York!

Lee and a decent sized army (8 units) was outside the city, but the naval guns were definitely inside the city, and JP Jones and his fleet were in the port. The naval guns suddenly became British, and my fleet was forced to move to Long Island Sound. Now Lee was in passive mode, but I don't think this should be happening. Britain held no ports in the 13 colonies - presumably when Grey chose his destination NY was the only available port in the 13 colonies.

I'm on 1.13d, and I'm afraid I don't have a save. I'm just wondering whether this is a bug or not.

PhilThib

Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:40 am

No bug. The fact is that current BOA version does not check for enemy presence when landing British reinforcements from overseas...the Brits sailed from GB, arrived off New York and landed there (IIRC, soemthing similar happened when Lord Howe invaded NYC in 1776, no?) :indien:

orca
Lieutenant

Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:20 am

All of Howe's troops left from Halifax! I could mention Clinton's army of 1776, which did arrive from England, but somehow failed to appear in Charlestown and kick out the rebel garrison. :)

Anyway now I know to watch out for this happening. Thanks.

Return to “Birth of America”