Aris
Conscript

Leader Modding questions

Fri Oct 28, 2022 5:06 am

Hi all,

I have been lurking around on the forums in the past, but hadn't registered until today. So, I have a couple of modding questions.

1. Regarding leader photos; I have been messing around with these, creating some new ones. However, It would be great to know the actual procedure for generating the in-game leaders, so as to create leaders photos with the same style. I think I have read in a thread that this shouldn't be that hard.

2. Regarding army corps size. Is there any way that I can increase the number of elements a corps can hold. E.g. instead of 2 divisions, it would be nice if it can hold 3. I have searched through the game files but I couldn't find anything relevant.

3. Regarding naval leaders and naval squadrons; is it possible to mod it to be able to create naval "corps" (in reality squadrons but functioning like army corps) under a naval leader? This can simulate a proper command structure for naval fleets as well.

That's all for now. I have more, but these are the most major questions for now.

Thanks.

Bohémond

Re: Leader Modding questions

Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:55 pm

Hi

For 2)

Army Corps can hold max 9 elements. You are right ingame, it is often 2 Divisions plus some Arty.

To increase the number of elements Army Corp can hold
Go to EAW/Settings in game folder.
Open Gamelogic.opt
Look for subMaxNbPerUnit = 9
Change 9 to 12
Save and close
Launch the game,

For 3)
It cannot be done via modding. There is no command structure for naval units, it is hardcoded.

For 1) I do not know :(

Regards

Nikel

Sat Oct 29, 2022 4:05 pm

Regarding 1), good question, because the result was one of the the best in ageod games. Even the generic are good.

Unit_RUS_Bulgakov.png
Unit_RUS_Bulgakov.png (21.36 KiB) Viewed 3629 times

Perhaps a Photoshop filter and then sepia on a historical pic?

Unfortunately it was not done on all the portraits and some were taken from PON.

But the secret belongs to the artist, Massimo Del Bono.

I think he never was a forum member, perhaps Pocus knows how to contact him?

Aris
Conscript

Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:05 pm

Yeah,

it would be great knowing the process so that we can add in all those leaders missing pictures (which are a lot).

I can do the cropping and stuff, but I do not know how to get the cartoonish look the leaders have.

For example, here are 3 new italian and 2 ottoman generals (not included in the game). They are fine but look too "historic" and "real" compared to the in-game pics.
Attachments
mdl_TUR_Vehip.png
mdl_TUR_Vehip.png (97.21 KiB) Viewed 3592 times
mdl_TUR_Pertev.png
mdl_TUR_Pertev.png (101.15 KiB) Viewed 3592 times
mdl_ITA_Roffi.png
mdl_ITA_Roffi.png (90.89 KiB) Viewed 3592 times
mdl_ITA_Aliprindi.png
mdl_ITA_Aliprindi.png (93.05 KiB) Viewed 3592 times
mdl_ITA_Albricci.png
mdl_ITA_Albricci.png (90.57 KiB) Viewed 3592 times

Aris
Conscript

Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:36 am

Ok, I got another leader-related question.

There are a bunch of rank-2 leader entries in the db for leaders that start the game already at rank-3. Are these entries redundant? Can I safely replace them with new leaders?

I am not talking about rank-2 leaders that are promotable to rank-3. I am only talking about leaders that already start the game as rank-3 leaders, but still have rank-2 entries in the db. As far as I can remember, it is not possible to demote leaders, right? So these entries would be pretty much remain unused in the game.

Thanks!

Pocus

Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:36 am

Post has been approved. IDK for certain why I need to do that, but well :)

Bohémond

Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:04 am

Aris wrote:Ok, I got another leader-related question.

There are a bunch of rank-2 leader entries in the db for leaders that start the game already at rank-3. Are these entries redundant? Can I safely replace them with new leaders?

I am not talking about rank-2 leaders that are promotable to rank-3. I am only talking about leaders that already start the game as rank-3 leaders, but still have rank-2 entries in the db. As far as I can remember, it is not possible to demote leaders, right? So these entries would be pretty much remain unused in the game.

Thanks!

You are correct. Leaders cannot be demoted.

You should better add leaders to the DB, even using the existing ones as template, than overwritting current ones. It is a safer way to mod.

Regards

Aris
Conscript

Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:40 am

I agree that is better to add new leaders instead of modifying the existing ones.

However, after adding about a hundred or so new unit files (mainly leaders but a bunch of units as well) I got an error message about exceeding the unit definition list, which is capped at 3031.

Is there any way to increase that limit? I couldn't find anything relevant in the general settings and system files.

Or is it hardcoded :crying: ? I hope not, cause then I have to starting deleting from the existing unit files, which I don't really wanna mess with. This will be very limiting to modding.

Bohémond

Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:47 pm

There is no such limit for units/models quantity.

Have a look at your uni_Alias.ini file, usually the unit definition list error is linked to an error in this file.

If not, try to delete your .cached file.

Regards

Aris
Conscript

Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:02 am

Thanks for your help! :)

Apparently there was some mismatch between the uid in the unit file and the alias file. No matter how many times I checked, everything seemed to match, but it seems that wasn't the case. I created the entry again from scratch and it worked.

Anyway, I have another question. Is it possible to set the health of a subunit within a unit? I know that there is the command SetHealth=x%, but I think it applies uniformly to the whole unit (i.e. all brigades with the division). Is it possible to set different health per brigade/subunit?

Bohémond

Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:28 pm

There is no scriptcommand to set subunit health. However you can use the some parameters from AlterCuSubUnit Scriptcommand (https://www.leqg.org/doc/age/www.ageod.net/agewiki/AlterCuSubUnit.html) to find a workaround.

Not really the intented use of the command, as specific unit cannot be pointed,

Regards

Return to “EAW Mods”