Blood and Thunder Brigade
Brigadier General

Re: Civil War III - To be or not to be?

Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:44 am

Pocus wrote:That's a pity because I'm rather sure that you can push the current engine to much more details. Plus you would get an up to date engine which run faster.

A thing isn't lost until it's actually lost, mate ;)

AACW3Plz
Corporal

Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:21 pm

Pocus wrote:That's a pity because I'm rather sure that you can push the current engine to much more details. Plus you would get an up to date engine which run faster.

Out of curiosity, how does licensing Archon work? Is there a set fee or is it royalty based?

Pocus

Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:39 pm

Actually, I don't know! You need to contact Iain McNeil, at Slitherine. PM him in the Slitherine forum to start with.

Taillebois
General of the Army

Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:50 pm

Ca va Lockdown?

Are you guys allowed out or is everyone at home playing old games or making new ones?

The other day I bought a secondhand Toshiba Satellite laptop - originally Win7 but updated to Win 10. Only 4 gb ram - but all my old Ageod games play and look really nice. (PON and WON excepted on speed) - BOA, WIA, AACW, NCP, ROP, AJE all gorgeous.

And I've run out of brandy ..... so stop the blockade or whatever. :)

AACW3Plz
Corporal

Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:37 pm

There are restrictions here; reduced business hours, reduced restaurant capacities, no major sport/concert events, but not really a lock down. I can still buy liquor. I hope a blockade runner can get you some brandy. Where's Semmes when you need him?

The older Ageod titles have an appealing vlntage boardgame look about them. I have AACW2 installed on a second-hand laptop as well for when I want to play on the porch with a sunrise coffee. A bit cold for that now, but it might have the advantage of not needing a cooling pad. ;)

Brigadier General

Sat May 08, 2021 3:21 am

How's everybody doing out there in the world? Still kickin' along alright? :)

deguerra
Major

Mon May 10, 2021 9:33 am

Aww yeah - kickin' along alright just about describes it :D A little sick of this whole pandemic thing now, but getting through it (with the help of some good AGEOD games against myself). How's Australia going?

Brigadier General

Mon May 10, 2021 11:26 am

Well, in my humble little state of Tasmania we're doing pretty well and have been for quite some time. Still, I'd not object if this pandemic business kindly buggered off.
But yeah, I've been playing as Union and Confederate and have never enjoyed the game so much. It's a true joy to play like that :)

Brigadier General

Mon May 10, 2021 11:31 am

@deguerra

Have you tried grimjaw's mod? :)

deguerra
Major

Tue May 11, 2021 4:12 pm

I played an earlier version, but I've yet to give his latest update a crack. I have an old 'vanilla' game against myself going and it's hard to find the time even for that mostly. But I definitely want to check it out, I think it's amazing what he's done!

-deguerra

Jerzul
Captain

Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:42 am

My late vote is "to be". I hope you get your chance!

Brigadier General

Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:55 pm

Jerzul wrote:My late vote is "to be". I hope you get your chance!

Well, with enough support it just might "to be". We need to get everyone on board and pushing in the right direction :)

charlesonmission

Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:59 pm

I'm assuming there hasn't been any movement on Civil War III at this point? At this point, does anyone know if the game Grand Tactician would take the desire for people to invest in Civil War III. I guess people do buy multiple Civil War games and I haven't played Grand Tactician, but it seems to have some decent reviews out there.

Brigadier General

Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:48 am

charlesonmission wrote:I'm assuming there hasn't been any movement on Civil War III at this point? At this point, does anyone know if the game Grand Tactician would take the desire for people to invest in Civil War III. I guess people do buy multiple Civil War games and I haven't played Grand Tactician, but it seems to have some decent reviews out there.

Zero movement on CW3 that I'm aware of, mate. I think it's a matter of getting people interested, keeping them interested and then getting them to push hard enough to get the wheels turning. I don't think attracting sufficient interest from buyers/players would be the issue; I think the greater problem would be on the business end of things with developers, investors, etc. They have to see sustained interest and sufficient sales potential. I think that interest and sales potential exists.
As for Grand Tactician, I've not played it myself, but a few people I know who have played it say that once the sheen wears off it's a bit on the clunky side of things and maybe a touch over-ambitious. That's just their take on it though. Whatever the case I earnestly believe that a CW3, polished in all the right places, could and would eclipse it and just about everything else.

Pocus

Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:26 am

On a personal level, I would like to make a CW3 with the new engine, but you have to convince Slitherine management it is also viable economically.

Brigadier General

Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:28 am

Pocus wrote:On a personal level, I would like to make a CW3 with the new engine, but you have to convince Slitherine management it is also viable economically.

Any suggestions as to how we might do that? :)

Brigadier General

Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:35 am

Pocus wrote:On a personal level, I would like to make a CW3 with the new engine

That right there made me swoon a little :D

charlesonmission

Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:47 pm

I bought the Grand Tactician game last night. No multiplayer and not planned for several years (the turns are hour by hour, so they'd need to rebuild the engine to get multiplayer to work, I suppose). One of the beauties of Civil War II was the multiplayer.

I'm surprised Slitherine doesn't think there is a market for Civil War III.

Brigadier General

Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:11 am

I'd be very surprised if they didn't think there was a market for CW3 considering that by far the most viewed and commented upon thread in their general discussion forum pertains to CW3. They cannot have failed to notice that. The more people that ask for a CW3 within that thread the better.

Butch
Conscript

Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:34 pm

While Grand Tactician looks promising, the AI is very lackluster. Athena isn't exactly a genius but at least CW2 has PBEM/hotseat multiplayer; something Grand Tactician will probably never have. That's why we need a CW3. Give us a shiny map with a smoother game engine and we're sold. I would buy it in a heart beat.

Brigadier General

Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:55 pm

Butch wrote:While Grand Tactician looks promising, the AI is very lackluster. Athena isn't exactly a genius but at least CW2 has PBEM/hotseat multiplayer; something Grand Tactician will probably never have. That's why we need a CW3. Give us a shiny map with a smoother game engine and we're sold. I would buy it in a heart beat.

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 10&t=96556

Add your support here, mate. Bang the drum loud enough and often enough and let's hope they notice :)

Butch
Conscript

Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:28 pm

I'm on it. I'd be surprised if a CW3 wasn't in the pipeline or in the (VERY) early phases of development. There's always a market for good ACW games. Even in Australia ;)

Brigadier General

Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:50 am

Butch wrote:I'm on it. I'd be surprised if a CW3 wasn't in the pipeline or in the (VERY) early phases of development. There's always a market for good ACW games. Even in Australia ;)

I plug CW2 and AGEod every chance I get and to anyone I meet with even the vaguest interest. Nothing big is achieved without ruthless persistence ;)

Brigadier General

Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:35 am

Out of interest, what would a new engine mean in terms of what can be done with the game? Can a lot more detail, etc, be added to it? Do tell...

Pocus

Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:12 am

Much more stable and faster. It is full 3D, so you would see mountains with an angle for example. Map display is instantaneous, no hiccups when scrolling or anything. No known bug in the underlying 'system' code (so for example no crash because of a de-referenced group or unit like in AGE, it happens at uncommon interval). The AI has been rewrote by your truly, using the experience of Athena and is much faster and probably more competent. Probably a PON turn would run in 1/10 the time it needs now.
No revolution, except perhaps AI and turn time I would say, you would get a stable, turn based WEGO engine.
Also all games made are de facto 16 players WEGO.

As I said, if you want to push a subject, you need to convince Slitherine management it has potential, Slitherine is a business and can't budget a game if they believe it will lose money. Find a few dozens supporters and lobby Slitherine for the subject of your choice. Show polls in their main forum, PM the bosses, etc. the usual lobbying :siffle:

Brigadier General

Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:55 am

That all sounds fantastic! :)
And without being specific, are some of the ideas/suggestions that you may have have seen from various people, including myself, here within the forum even possible? And if so, which have you liked the most and would be most inclined to include?

As for Slitherine, I'm assuming that a blitzkrieg would be supremely more noticeable than a piecemeal attack, so to speak. We do already have a Civil War III thread within their forum which has stirred up quite a bit of interest, and I really don't think they have failed to notice that. But I will take your advice, gather the troops and attempt to apply all the right pressure in all the right places ;)

Pocus

Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:08 pm

Sorry you'll have to point me to specific parts or mention again the boldest ideas, and I'll tell you if it is feasible and realistic, work-wise.
I'll leave you planning your offensive then :)

pgr
General of the Army

Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:45 pm

Out of curiosity, how did CW2 do financially (compared to other AGEOD titles?) I'm assuming it was profitable, and one could argue that the market that made it so is still out there.

Brigadier General

Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:30 am

pgr wrote:Out of curiosity, how did CW2 do financially (compared to other AGEOD titles?) I'm assuming it was profitable, and one could argue that the market that made it so is still out there.

I think that not only would that market be still out there, but it would be greater than what it was. CW2 has stuck, it has legs so to speak. With CW2 it tends to 'keep' its 'old school' players, who are still here after 6 or 7 or 8 years, while attracting a steady stream of new players. I think that is very solid base upon which to build.

AACW3Plz
Corporal

Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:07 pm

I wonder if something very direct would work. A kickstarter to show demand or something. Could be hosted by an Ageod or Slitherine employee for less likelihood of shenanigans.

Return to “Civil War II”