Zenvaro
Lieutenant

Programming language question

Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:46 am

What programming language was used to compile RUS.exe? I want to decompile it and try to fix problem with fonts in Cyrillic. By the way, it would be interesting to change the working of some functions. For example it would be good to add an ability to use not not only Theaters, but Areas in AI.SetAggro function.

Nikel

Re: Programming language question

Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:15 pm

Decompile! :wacko:

The owner of the code is Slitherine now.

Anyway Pocus said several times that he has used Dephi to create the AGE engine.

Zenvaro
Lieutenant

Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:12 pm

Nikel wrote:Decompile! :wacko:

Anyway Pocus said several times that he has used Dephi to create the AGE engine.

Thanks)

Nikel

Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:23 pm

Just wondering.

If you are serious about improving the engine and know how to do it.

Why don't you contact Slitherine to get the code and work with it instead of trying to decompile?

You may have a future in the business going the right way.

Fatus
Private

Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:28 pm

Zenvaro wrote:
Nikel wrote:Decompile! :wacko:

Thanks)

The engine is buggy. Memory injection for a Cyrillic font should be simple; there might be dragons(visual bug and unknown bugs) if the games accepts the fonts. If you go as far as reversing the binary, you will also need to understand DirectX coding; I bet the mere act of de-compiling the binary you will notice paramount of bugs within the programming structure of the game.

Nikel wrote:Just wondering.

If you are serious about improving the engine and know how to do it.

Why don't you contact Slitherine to get the code and work with it instead of trying to decompile?

You may have a future in the business going the right way.

We want to fix the game; not be entangled Slitherine employee or sign a NDA for a broken game.

Pocus

Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:40 am

You will never get access to the old source code unless you sign something with Slitherine, that's obvious. The old engine developed between 2004 and 2012 (the rest was mostly modding and maintenance) is their property. That it has a very low value now changes nothing.

And probably, yes, there are bugs. I know some are rather 'deep level' and never got fixed properly, like the one where very rarely the group ID is not right and it screws a saved game. I plead guilty of having made bugs in a 100k lines (or is it 200k? I don't even remember) engine.

Should I be ashamed. Well NASA lost a shuttle (or two) with people (may they RIP, poor souls) because of stupid bugs. It's easy to critic until you do something equivalent and how difficult it is to not leave bugs in a decently sized project.

Stratman
Captain

Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:15 pm

Pocus wrote: It's easy to critic until you do something equivalent and how difficult it is to not leave bugs in a decently sized project.

I find AGEod` game mechanics fantastic. The only Grigsby's projects are nearby.
That says it all!
Respect Pocus and PhilThib :hat:

Fatus
Private

Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:59 am

Pocus wrote:And probably, yes, there are bugs. I know some are rather 'deep level' and never got fixed properly, like the one where very rarely the group ID is not right and it screws a saved game. I plead guilty of having made bugs in a 100k lines (or is it 200k? I don't even remember) engine.

I think we just have different approaches and principals to programming, Pocus. I understand your motivation for pushing code due to incentives and time. Doesn't mean I dislike your games, in fact I love your games, but I strongly disagree with your approach. It's a common theme in AAA gaming titles; have a look at your competitors and Microsoft sweeping the rug https://cookieplmonster.github.io/ .

Don't mind me; I also have strong issues with certain compilers and their practices.

Pocus wrote:Should I be ashamed. Well NASA lost a shuttle (or two) with people (may they RIP, poor souls) because of stupid bugs. It's easy to critic until you do something equivalent and how difficult it is to not leave bugs in a decently sized project.

Margret Hamilton Law: As online NASA coding discussion grows longer, the probability of Margaret's cutie pictures being mention and breaking hearts approaches 1.

I can bet my entire net-worth that Margaret Hamilton has forgotten programming equal to both our lifetimes and any post-2005 AAA gaming company coding team combined. Her competitors are the best names of embedded, OS or compiler programmers and computational mathematicians.

I would have a better chance of understanding 1M lines of AGEOD hex code.

Pocus

Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:09 am

I wish I had a team corresponding to a AAA game. I never had. I'm sure we would have found time to make in depth review of old code on a regular basis, for refactoring and optimization.

As for our different approaches, mine has been tinted (and I can even say tainted :sourcil: ) heavily by commercial pressure and the necessity to keep the company alive. If you are so spared of it that you can't understand why a decently-sized software is not the perfect jewel you strive for at a theoretical level, then you are a lucky man. Good for you!
But don't try to apply to a job in the gaming industry, that would be my advice ;)

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:55 pm

What a wise answer!
15 years ago Pocus you were more young, lol
Age can bring qualities :)

Fatus
Private

Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:04 am

Pocus wrote:If you are so spared of it that you can't understand why a decently-sized software is not the perfect jewel you strive for at a theoretical level, then you are a lucky man. Good for you!
But don't try to apply to a job in the gaming industry, that would be my advice ;)

Agreed,

Those of us who deal with critical infrastructure have to endure strict guidelines (MISRA), from a highly rigid and structural prospective. At this point; the gaming industry would not be able to afford my entry salary nor would I want to deal with its flimsy house of cards.

The irony here is your mention of NASA. Margret H. Hamilton dedicated her whole career, thesis and business advocating formal methods (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formal_methods) . She has written exciting articles which can be found in her website.

Pocus, I appreciate your ability to take in criticism of your Engine and my autistic perfect-order-screeches for my favorite games. Those in the War Gaming community are pampered by the Gary Grigsbys and John Tillers. I guess that is why you are the entrepreneur and we are commenters on the sidelines. There are worst examples from gaming companies with 100x the resources.

Zenvaro wrote:What programming language was used to compile RUS.exe? I want to decompile it and try to fix problem with fonts in Cyrillic. By the way, it would be interesting to change the working of some functions. For example it would be good to add an ability to use not not only Theaters, but Areas in AI.SetAggro function.

Going back on topic, Reversing and debugging requires extraordinary patience and it's not for everyone; if not everyone will be posting patches before official patches. Not only you have to familiar with Windows architecture, Direct X, C, Assembly and all its previous iterations but you need to understand theory and language flow. Wish you the best, follow the links I posted, get familiar with debuggers. If you want to sign an NDA I suggest you still be familiar with all these tools to be successful.

Return to “RUS Technical support / Aide technique”