epaminondas
Colonel

Okay, I surrender

Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:30 am

Much as I could love this game, I could also end up going completely spare and assaulting random strangers out of pent up rage. But it's not the game itself that's enraging me, it's the difficulty in sorting out difficulties with the game.

Because of the manner in which I'd botched my existing installation I decided to scrub it all and go with a complete re-install. Completed a full uninstall and started fresh with a new installation of the only version available, 1.00. Then wanted to install the Breaking The Deadlock expansion so plugged it in and attempted to run it only to be confronted with the message that it required at least 1.02 to function. Fair enough.

Took myself off to look for that update only to find that it isn't searchable! "1.02" is too common a term I'm informed. So is "version 1.02". So is "patch version 1.02". So is "update patch version 1.02". I thought of trying "expletive deleted update patch version 1.02" but concluded it would have been both unsuccessful and beneath me.

C'mon, would it not be possible, indeed sensible, to locate all existing upgrades in a single accessible thread? Or at least make them searchable in some manner.

Citizen X
AGEod Veteran

Re: Okay, I surrender

Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:28 am

Don't own it so just shooting into the dark. I would try Patch_EAW_v1.0 or simply Patch_EAW . Latest patch is beyond 1.02 I believe.

epaminondas
Colonel

Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:23 am

Thanks for the suggestion X, worth a try.

Okay, working forward from the first occurrence of this - or part thereof - on p.34 I found no joy at all as far as patches 1.01 and 1.02 go. But, hallelujah, on p.14 I found a post from Pocus which advises that patch 1.03 is available and (yippy) mentions that it "can upgrade to latest version any previous version of EAW." Since I have the 1.03 patch this should get me back into the game - literally.

As your handle suggests, you're obviously well acquainted with the means of outmanoeuvering bureaucracies.

Nikel

Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:15 am

Patches in Ageod were usually comprehensive, so you only needed the last one.

Other thing is betas, or quick fixes.

In the case of TEAW, Altaris released the last two patches as not comprehensive.

The last comprehensive is 1.03.

Then came 1.04 beta and then the quickfix.

Anyway 1.02 is still available in matrix ftp.

http://ftp.us.matrixgames.com/pub/ToEnd ... p-v102.zip

I would do the following to install:

1. Install the base game.

2. Patch to 1.03 if the expansion requires it. Should include 1.02.

3. Install the expansion in the same folder.

4. Repatch to 1.03.

5. Patch 1.04 beta.

6. Quickfix, extract it in the game folder.

Do not install in a "Program Files" folder, instead use for example "C:\Games\To End All Wars", and be sure all the patches go there.

epaminondas
Colonel

Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:51 pm

Thanks once more Nik, I think I've got it. The game now shows as 1.04 and it looked like the Quickfix took okay. Just to lock it all down, however, can you confirm that that there shouldn't be any reference to the Quickfix in the startup screen (i.e. the game will continue to show as 1.04 etc. without any Quickfix reference).

Also, now that I'm beginning to think I have my head straight, could you confirm that when you say extract it in the "game folder" you mean the same folder in which the 1.03 and 1.04 beta patches have been installed.

Nikel

Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:12 pm

What a mess!

I confirm that there should be a reference in the startup screen :)

Code: Select all

1.04 (Beta Patch 1.03 - May 2019).

The quickfix was released, this year in may, 2019 should be visible in the startup . But is not a patch, just a fix to be extracted in the folder.

epaminondas
Colonel

Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:54 pm

You think it's a mess - you should see it from my end! But thanks to the help I'm getting it's starting to unmess.

Okay, so now it's just a matter of going back, deleting the quickfix files from wherever they've ended up, reinstalling them in my To End All Wars folder (which is what I thought I'd done) and everything will be hunky dory. See how optimistic I've become!

Clearly, computer discipline is not my long suite.

epaminondas
Colonel

Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:10 am

Sorry Nik, but this has me completely defeated.

I believe I've followed your instructions to the letter, indeed the installation path I used for the new setup is exactly that you give as your example. But still there's no reference to the Quickfix in the startup screen. It shows the "1.04 (Beta Patch 1.03 - May 2019)" you referenced alright, but there is no notation mentioning Quickfix.

Nikel

Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:39 am

Not defeated, you won.

"1.04 (Beta Patch 1.03 - May 2019)"

is precisely the reference to the quickfix as properly installed.

epaminondas
Colonel

Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:36 am

Well I'll be buggered! Thanks Nik.

smithpowl
Conscript

Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:36 am

Okay Gents, I'm having the same problem. I've got 1.04 installed, and got to the point of having downloaded the Quickfix into the EAW folder. where I unzipped it and.... it unzipped into a second EAW folder, in which are the (new) Events, GameData, Scens and Settings. Restarting the game reveals that I have -- according to Nikel's previous comments to Epam -- failed. The opening version shows I have EAW 1.04, Data Patch 1.02, Apr 2016.
Am I supposed to simply copy these into the existing EAW folders, or did I miss a set-up step?

epaminondas
Colonel

Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:11 pm

It is indeed all very confusing.

However, if you go to the Technical support forum the first post there (by Altaris) should direct you to a download link: "https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-yYO0G_y3opP0ubE9KE7lMEgTOoQfXZ4". That link should take you to what you need. As I recollect you then have to physically place it in your To End All Wars folder and not the EAW folder contained therein.

I think where we go wrong is trying to put it into the existing EAW folder (as suggested in the forum) instead of the aforementioned To End All Wars folder. I think if you unzip it there it then overwrites the data held in the EAW folder.

I'm working from a very muddled memory there, though. You could indeed try copying the files in the newly added EAW folder, pasting them into the original EAW folder (as you suggest) and then erasing the doppelganger. In the logic that I use that should work - but my logic and computer logic are often at variance.

smithpowl
Conscript

Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:58 pm

Okay then, off to another few hours of, as you previously said, "error and trial." Victory or Death!

smithpowl
Conscript

Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:17 pm

I moved the new EAW folder to the End All Wars folder and opened it, whereupon it asked if I really wanted to overwrite all those files...gulp... yes. IT WORKED! HAHA! Victory is preferable. Thanks again!

epaminondas
Colonel

Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:47 pm

As my people say, "Winners are grinners"!

Return to “To End All Wars”