Poorlaggedman
Corporal

How do I give Athena a shot of adrenaline mid-game?

Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:09 pm

I'm playing USA in the Grand campaign, CSA Morale is down to 61 ---> I'm not trying to purely win I want to have fun too. I'd like to still have plenty of enemy recruits to fight off and I think the best way to do that is to add an event to increase the CSA morale.

I've done this before but this was when the game first came out and I'm struggling to do it again.

I'm assuming I add it into the CSA events.txt ?

Something like this would work, mimicking an event with the CSA events file? But I should set the min and max date to where I'm about to be at instead (About to be August 1863)?

Code: Select all

SelectFaction = CSA
SelectRegion = $Harpers_Ferry_WV
StartEvent = evt_nam_CSA_HarpersFerry1861|1|2|evt_txt_CSA_HarpersFerry1861|Opt-Img_Arsenal1|$Harpers_Ferry_WV|NULL

Conditions
  MinDate = 1861/05/01
  MaxDate = 1861/06/28

EvalRgnOwned = $Harpers_Ferry_WV

Actions
  DescEvent = evt_desc_CSA_HarpersFerry1861
  ChangeFacMorale = 65

EndEvent

Thanks much

Bamilus
Private

Re: How do I give Athena a shot of adrenaline mid-game?

Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:59 pm

Was wondering this too. Until beginning of 1863, CSA Athena gave me a good fight on Colonel rating, low detection bonus, +1 activation bonus, historical attrition for player only, and hard activation rule. I've noticed they build so many ships so I'm trying to write a force pool limit event right now but I'm also interested in how I can edit their NM, like you. Sometimes they make bad battle decisions but they lose like 5-7NM in one fight and then it's just snowballed down from there, so having a way to edit their NM back would give them more fight. Compared to other AGEOD games, the NM swing is pretty large for big fights.

I've also thought about changing some AI modifiers like AI SetPoolRatio to change what units they prioritize building https://www.leqg.org/doc/age/www.ageod. ... AI-15.html . If I make and test any changes I will let you know and would appreciate if you do the same.

Blood and Thunder Brigade
Brigadier General

Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:43 pm

Out of interest, how low does national morale have to be before one side or the other calls it quits?

Bamilus
Private

Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:58 pm

Blood and Thunder Brigade wrote:Out of interest, how low does national morale have to be before one side or the other calls it quits?

IIRC there are certain events that change the threshold so it changes depending on the year. But to start I think the threshold is like 180NM to win for USA and 25 for Confederates to lose, or something like that. Not sure what they are if you're playing CSA since I mainly play Union right now.

Here is a copy paste from the CSA Points to Know thread:

• At the start of '64 there is an event that fires and raises the sudden-death to 60 NM for the Union to capitulate, which is very high, and for the Union to win to 225, which is also very high. At the same time the Confederate sudden-death is set to 25 NM for the South to capitulate, which is low, and 175 for them to win, which is also quite low. However, once the election is over--Lincoln automatically wins the election, and there are no variations here, these two events re-fire changing the frames again. The Union sudden-death now comes down from 60 to 25, while CS sudden-death goes up from 25 to 40. Union win NM also comes down from 225 to 185, while CS win goes up from 175 to 225; a very tough field to plow for the Confederacy. Those events are actually just the election campaign events, which is why they fire.

The main issue, though, isn't winning or losing by NM, since the game has events that rubberband you back to 100 NM the further you get away from it, so it's very hard to win or lose by NM unless you take Capital, and by then game is basically over anyways. The issue is that NM gives penalties or bonuses to production and cohesion, so the further you get away from 100 the more you snowball since you get a bonus over 100 while Athena is also getting a penalty. I've noticed that once Athena gets to like 70-75 (meaning I'm at 120-130) it's basically over for them. It's just too hard for them to win battles and they lose too much production.

Poorlaggedman
Corporal

Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:32 am

Nobody knows how to do this??? I know I've done it before but that was many years ago.

I'm about to win this Campaign, getting bored.

I've spent a solid hour searching these forums and online about editing events to do something like add morale. I've tried a few things and nothing has worked.

Bamilus
Private

Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:20 pm

When are you trying to add the NM, at the beginning of the game or at a certain date?

There's plenty of threads explaining how to add events to the scenario. Here are some:

viewtopic.php?t=51423

viewtopic.php?f=250&t=30337&hilit=some+scripting+notes

viewtopic.php?t=43712

If you want it to be a certain date, then yes use the date commands. I believe you have the correct function to change morale, too: https://www.leqg.org/doc/age/www.ageod. ... orale.html

Also make sure once you make changes to a scenario that you load the game in editing mode (hit F9 when game is loading). This is explained here: https://www.leqg.org/doc/age/www.ageod. ... arios.html see bottom section that says "Launch the editor"

One thing I'll add is, I don't think you need to have the "Select Region" command when using the ChangeFacMorale command. I only thing you need to define the faction as CSA.

Hope this helps, please let me know if it does or doesnt. I'm not a modding expert but I've done a lot of research on it and these were the best sources I could find.

Poorlaggedman
Corporal

Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:35 am

It didn't work. I'm finishing a CSA campaign this time. The game is feeling a little stale. :dada:

Nikel

Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:44 am

If you still have the game playing vs the CSA.

May you post a save?

Poorlaggedman
Corporal

Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:51 am

Does this work?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cRmPU ... s3-2ZWutHt

I'm genuinely bored and looking for more of a challenge with CW 2. My campaign is essentially over. The morale boosts did not trigger. Is there any way to make this game fun again besides playing the awful and slow PBEM?

Nikel

Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:39 pm

Not enough, the .hst is needed

Nikel

Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:03 am

But in this save, the NM of the Confederacy is 173!

USA is very low, 32. I guess you want to rise this one.

Anyway the .hst files, as has been commented several times, are editable with a word processor, for example Wordpad.

You will see a mess of numbers and will not understand anything. There is one thing you can do. Search for the more characteristic number, the victory points.

Search for 4310 and you will find this line.

Code: Select all

7|4310|8|241|9|109|11|1209|0|382|12|489|10|32|6|-4|13|0|17|9|

So 7 represents the Vps, 10 the NM and so on. Change 32 for 102 or the number you want to give and save the file. Load the save in the game and the NM should have changed.

Poorlaggedman
Corporal

Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:34 am

Thanks a lot for the advice. I assumed an event was needed to cheat like that.

Yes, I was playing as the CSA that time and was only a few turns from winning (I think it's silly the sudden win/loss in 1864, shouldn't there be an election first?). It gets boring stomping armies when there's such a morale discrepancy. I'm definitely going to start another campaign as the Union and edit the CSA morale when it gets low.

Poorlaggedman
Corporal

Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:50 am

I've been over that campaign for a while.... how exactly do I find the line for morale for both teams? I'm currently playing a Union campaign and the CSA morale is already down into the 60s and I'd like to wipe some armies out without ruining my campaign.

Nikel

Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:11 pm

Just do the same.

Use the VPs number as it is the more characteristic, and search for them. In the corresponding line for each side, after 10, you should see the NM.

Poorlaggedman
Corporal

Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:47 pm

Awesome. Thanks I didn't realize the number to search for was their total VP. It worked. Now I can toy with the AI a lot more

Rod Smart
Colonel

Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:49 pm

Bamilus wrote:. Sometimes they make bad battle decisions but they lose like 5-7NM in one fight and then it's just snowballed down from there, so having a way to edit their NM back would give them more fight. Compared to other AGEOD games, the NM swing is pretty large for big fights.

Worse than that, the decisions they make for foreign entry. Playing as the north, I got foreign entry, and then the CSA STILL gives concessions! Why??

I've gotten over the "stale-ness" by going back a couple turns, and attempting comebacks with the side I just defeated.

Return to “Civil War II”