Thorgrimm-28
Civilian

What a Game!

Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:12 pm

I just purchased Field of Glory - Empires yesterday and I have to say, Holy Cow!

Being me, my very first game was with the Senatus Populesque Romanus, yes I like to jump into the deep end first. By turn 7 I was at war with the Tarantines, Etruscans, Samnites, and Senones!

I gotta hand it to you, playing as Rome there is never a dull moment! However, and on the other hand, I am up to turn 74 and have just received my objective to capture Messena, and there has never been a turn since 7 without Rome not being at war with two or more nations.

The sad thing is that I never once declared war on anybody else. The AI has done all of the war declaring! Then talk about dogpiling! Right now I am at war with every nation that borders Rome, save for one, Carthage... Go figure! The Total, IIRC, is seven nations that I am at war with. Not one of those wars were declared by me!

Not once was the Temple of Iuppiter opened and the Gloden Lance thrown in a declaration of war by the SPQR!

I read in a few others posts that you have scaled back the aggressiveness of the AI. I would have not liked to have played this game while at war with the whole ancient world and never having declared war on anybody else.

Maybe a wee bit more scaling back is due. :blink:

To be honest I was hoping for some peaceful years to do a little nation-building. So far my only real builds have been infra/mil, along with cultural items to maintain the loyalty of my population.

Overall I am loving the game. However, my question is this: Are the wars going to ever end, or am I going to have to remain at war for centuries with a war-mad world and never get a moments peace?

Cheers, Thorgrimm
Sic Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
If you want peace, prepare for war

The Mind is not a vessel to be filled, but a fire to be lit - Plutarch

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Re: What a Game!

Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:32 pm

Yes, with Decadence and Legacy, that's a true history game, even it is less historical!
These are almost always missing political concepts in "historical games",
because we are in republican mood, bourgeois
. which want to forgot people while ignoring decadence (which is elites don't care, take even no longer any duty about people),
. and wants to ignore their noble contenders while forgoting legacy (what appears noble is what is remembered the better, and bourgeois don't care or mocks nobility by fake copy).

Pocus

Re: What a Game!

Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:40 am

If you have a very strong army early as Rome, it acts as a deterrent and you should get less wars. Now, you have to support it though.

The doors from the Temple of Janus have been closed only twice up to Augustus. These are the only peaces they have known for more than 4 centuries.

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”