Stratman
Captain

Battle system: FOG2 or AGEod?

Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:32 am

Hi Pocus!
In a case of import battles into FOG2 the original AGEod` Battle system will be ignored?
I mean the plenty of these super concepts: cohesion, command penalty, commanders ratings, frontage etc, etc...

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Re: Battle system: FOG2 or AGEod?

Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:28 am

still to be decided. I'd guess yes to the inherent characteristics of the units, ie in-game concepts will be lost and replaced by the unit types in FOG2?

but leadership could carry over, say into the set up/terrain allocation aspect of setting up a FoG2 battle? with the better commander getting some sort of opening bonus to a battle?

nlancier
Lieutenant

Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:42 am

http://www.ageod.com/products/789/details/Field.of.Glory.Empires wrote:And, if you want even more direct control, Field of Glory: Empires lets you export and load your battles into Field of Glory II and then load the results back into Field of Glory: Empires!

Yes may be good for a 2 player game but for the ones who look for a 6 players pbem game lets say, is it really feasible i doubt it...
GdD Colbert * TWC Co-founder & Admin

Pocus

Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:52 am

There can't be a direct mapping of some of the concepts. We are still refining the porting from Empires to FOG2. So far, you'll get extra generals in FOG2 if your general in Empires is good. Obviously, if the terrain in Empires is say forest, you'll fight in a forest in FOG2 (so frontage will be limited in both cases, but handled differently).
Wounded, fatigued, experienced units, we are mapping them to the best of our ability between the 2 systems (back and forth).

Searry
Colonel

Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:28 pm

Can you ignore the tactical layer completely to just enjoy PBEM normally?

Tamas

Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:19 pm

Searry wrote:Can you ignore the tactical layer completely to just enjoy PBEM normally?

I am not sure what exactly you mean by "tactical layer" Empire's or FOG2 so I'll answer both, kind of. :)

Empires is entirely playable without FOG2. The very basis of the whole design is that fact - FOG2 integration is an extra option on top of an entirely separate game.

Now if you mean skipping Empire's own battle resolution for PBEM: since you do not directly control the units in an Empires battle, but rather see a replay of how things unfolded (just like in previous AGEOD games) it doesn't interfere with PBEM - when you watch the replay of the turn in your multiplayer game, you can freely watch how the battle unfolded (or skip entirely) as you wish.

Searry
Colonel

Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:23 pm

Tamas wrote:
Searry wrote:Can you ignore the tactical layer completely to just enjoy PBEM normally?

I am not sure what exactly you mean by "tactical layer" Empire's or FOG2 so I'll answer both, kind of. :)

Empires is entirely playable without FOG2. The very basis of the whole design is that fact - FOG2 integration is an extra option on top of an entirely separate game.

Now if you mean skipping Empire's own battle resolution for PBEM: since you do not directly control the units in an Empires battle, but rather see a replay of how things unfolded (just like in previous AGEOD games) it doesn't interfere with PBEM - when you watch the replay of the turn in your multiplayer game, you can freely watch how the battle unfolded (or skip entirely) as you wish.

This is exactly what I wished for! Thanks.

Stratman
Captain

Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:25 pm

Tamas wrote:

It`s a good news!
Would be a pity lose brilliant AGEod battle mechanics.
What about me so I`m not a big fun of merging two concepts (tactical and Grand strategy) in one game.
But I hope many of FOG2 players will be happy with Empires getting a whole World in addition to their FOG2 battlefields.

DrPostman

Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:08 am

Will you need to own FOG2 in order to enjoy that battle feature, or will it be
included as a part of Empires? Probably a stupid question, but I wasn't sure.
I was imagining FOG:Empires as an adjunct to an established game.

nlancier
Lieutenant

Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:03 am

:papy: Thank god!.. as some of us just waiting for a brand-new 'strategic ONLY' wego Ageod pbem which can be played with more than 4-5 players, thats all... So i am so happy with the below news ^^

Tamas wrote:

GdD Colbert * TWC Co-founder & Admin

Tamas

Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:07 am

DrPostman wrote:Will you need to own FOG2 in order to enjoy that battle feature, or will it be

To use the FOG2 battles you need to own FOG2. As I said above, Empires is a complete game on its own. Integration with FOG2 is an optional feature. Pretty cool, we believe, but optional.

DrPostman

Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:45 am

Tamas wrote:To use the FOG2 battles you need to own FOG2. As I said above, Empires is a complete game on its own. Integration with FOG2 is an optional feature. Pretty cool, we believe, but optional.

Thanks! :hat:

H Gilmer3
AGEod Grognard

Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:27 am

One issue I see, and maybe it is making an issue where there is none, but FOG2 on Steam you can buy as a bundle which is appealing because it looks like it might be cheaper, but then if you get FOG:E here, will you be able to get them to work together?

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:21 am

yes, it is designed so you just need access to a working copy of FoG2, doesn't matter if its Steam or on your hard drive.

Basically the import works by selecting an 'Empires' battle on the loading screen (where you normally chose between a campaign/custom battle/historical battle etc)

Don Powell
Sergeant

Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:31 pm

Hopefully in the future it can get a bit more granular.

Playing Rome : Total War on my iPAD atm, one thing I noticed they did well was to give the player the option (at the time of battle) to either auto-resolve or go to the battle map.

This is a nice feature that helps to reduce some tedium .... and let's the player go tactical on the battles they find interesting.

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:55 pm

same here, if you resolve in Empires you can watch it (very helpful when you are, opt just to view the result (who won, which units dead/damaged) or skip and proceed with the turn resolution (handy if its a totally one sided encounter).

Stratman
Captain

Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:26 pm

loki100 wrote: you can watch it (very helpful when you are, opt just to view the result (who won, which units dead/damaged)

May you compare, please, the style of stats presentaion of the latest ageod (WON, EAW, WSS) with Empires? If you beta involved of course.

I mean Stack Information, Units Inspection Panel, Battle Reports, etc.
Empires is more convenient? Better / worse? concise / complete? ... or just the same

Thanks!

ajarnlance
General of the Army

Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:19 pm

You don't get a detailed 'battle summary screen' like in ageod's previous games. The detailed info happens as each individual combat plays out... giving you all the details on how the scores are calculated and the hits are allocated. You can choose to move quickly through these or watch each combat one at a time. The Empires battle system is more informative and more transparent than previous games. I really like it. It forces you to take into consideration factors like army mix (skirmishers/infantry/cavalry), terrain, unit quality and also the generals' stats and abilities. It beats the Paradox battle system and is superior to Total War's auto resolve. It is well thought out and implemented. As is the entire game. Empires is one of the best strategy games I have ever played (Beta tester).

Stratman
Captain

Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:14 pm

ajarnlance wrote:The Empires battle system is more informative and more transparent than previous games. I really like it. It forces you to take into consideration factors like army mix (skirmishers/infantry/cavalry), terrain, unit quality and also the generals' stats and abilities. It beats the Paradox battle system and is superior to Total War's auto resolve. Empires is one of the best strategy games I have ever played (Beta tester).

Thank you, ajarnlance!
Cool! The work of combat mechanics becomes clearer! Can't wait for this release!

ajarnlance
General of the Army

Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:04 pm

SMikh wrote:
Thank you, ajarnlance!
Cool! The work of combat mechanics becomes clearer! Can't wait for this release!
[/quote]

You're welcome. I should also mention that sieges are also modeled well in the game. You can starve out a garrison, but you had better make sure that your own army is well supplied from a neighbouring region. Or you can launch an assault, but this is very risky if the city has walls and a decent defending force. Naval blockades are also necessary if the target city has a port. The game is playing really well already and it can only get stronger.

Pocus

Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:58 pm

This second aspect more or less takes inspiration from the AGE games, so you'll be at ease. As for the battle, thanks for the praise Ajarnlance! The aim was to provide a system that could be automated, while having some decent subtleties.

There will be a dev diary on the battle system, but in a nutshell we tried very hard to have a battle won not because you are strong on a single aspect, for example the most numerous wins, or the one with the best general wins. This is a combination of several factors, and each one don't affect the same 'parameter'. So for example even the best troops can be beaten, if they are flanked, or if the enemy general is very good (with decent troops).

ajarnlance
General of the Army

Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:23 pm

This game truly is a work of genius Pocus. The concept of balancing culture and decadence, along with the different government types is unique among strategy games that I have played. It works both in terms of historical authenticity and as a very intriguing game mechanic.

I notice that all of the generals' traits and abilities affect attack/defend/movement/supply values. Would it be possible to mod generals that affect other combat abilities? For example, Caesar was an expert at raising the morale of his men in battle. Could we give generals a trait called 'inspirational' that would boost unit effectiveness?

Stratman
Captain

Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:07 pm

ajarnlance wrote:This game truly is a work of genius Pocus. The concept of balancing culture and decadence, along with the different government types is unique among strategy games that I have played. It works both in terms of historical authenticity and as a very intriguing game mechanic.

I feel like this game is a complicated and multi-level system and I really hope that Pocus & team will be able to balance all the game`s concepts well enough!
It will be a real bomb!
I`ve never been impressed more than with AGEod games as soon as I find them.
But this new project seems to be even more exciting.
Good Luck, Gents!

ajarnlance
General of the Army

Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:49 am

"I really hope that Pocus & team will be able to balance all the game`s concepts well enough!"

The game manages to be fairly easy to learn while being difficult to master. I expect to be playing it for hundreds of hours!

Boomer
Lieutenant Colonel

Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:44 pm

Tamas wrote:
DrPostman wrote:Will you need to own FOG2 in order to enjoy that battle feature, or will it be

To use the FOG2 battles you need to own FOG2. As I said above, Empires is a complete game on its own. Integration with FOG2 is an optional feature. Pretty cool, we believe, but optional.

Which version of FOG2? I have the GOG vanilla version. Empires looks pretty comprehensive, so will battle loads for FOG2 require the full kitted out version w/DLCs, or will the vanilla version be sufficient?

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:45 pm

just the basegame so you don't need the dlc etc for any transition between the 2 games. Also doesn't matter if you have FoG2 on Steam or direct from Matrix.

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”