Stauffenberg
General

The Anglo-Iranian Oil Company in WW I (later BP) - A proposal

Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:37 pm

I noticed this issue in a pbem when my Entente opponent promptly vacated the entire region early on with no real reason to stay.

It is a serious faux pas having no incentive for the Brits to hang on to Basra especially (Kuwait less so but to keep it simple both are a part of this solution). This was an absolutely critical oil area and the main reason the Brits made holding the area a strategic focus during and after the war:

https://worldview.stratfor.com/article/ ... ttle-basra

What I propose is an honour agreement: when either of these locations falls to the CP the Western Entente must asap execute a gas attack on a clearly unimportant enemy-held location with no land unit attacks a part of it, thus incurring -1 NM. Once captured by the CP, if the Brits manage to take either or both back, the CP has to pay the same -1 NM gas attack penalty. This back and forth has no limit in repetitions.

[And may I say as a long-time published scenario creator and editor it's a real shame this AGEOD game system does not have an editor included outside of arcane code manipulations that are difficult to ferret out on the forum and elsewhere... open it up finally and let the game grow further please.]

Nikel

Re: The Anglo-Iranian Oil Company in WW I (later BP) - A proposal

Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:49 am

Your solution is a house rule.

But why not add it to the game?

Consider oil a war supply. Add war supply production to the regions where petroleum was already produced in the period. Basrah right now produces 0. It is similar to coal or iron already included in the game. You must also add the text, and perhaps a graphic?

More on petroleum in the WW1:

https://encyclopedia.1914-1918-online.n ... /petroleum

Stauffenberg
General

Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:51 am

Well not knowing how to go about that I came up with this way of dealing with the issue on the fly and sharing it here. But please be my guest and let me know how you do it. :hat:

Nikel

Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:07 pm

That is another question, so you are not a good modder either? :)

But can be done. Look to Salzburg, iron mines in the tooltip and plenty war supplies produced that should be related to them.

In the structures, oil well should be added.

And then, to the region of interest and the tooltip.

This is my guess.

Nikel

Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:15 pm

More on this:

In "EAW\Includes" folder you will find the file "WW1_Structures.inc"

You may open it with Wordpad, inside you eill find the structures in every region.

But first you must create the structure "Oil wells".

pantsukki
Brigadier General

Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:26 pm

There are many weird decisions regarding locations. For example multiple cities/provinces should reward NM when captured, and at the same time at least the Austrian Alpine provinces are far too valuable.

And why doesn't Romania seem to produce any oil? Why is Galicia as a region pretty worthless, even though it apparently produced a significant portion of A-H's food supply?

Return to “Help improve EAW”