vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

I am excited about resolving crucial battles in Field of Glory 2

Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:39 pm

One of the very nice new features in this game will be the option to resolve battles tactically, in Field of Glory 2.

I am very familiar with FOG 2, and play it regularly. I have all four expansions and have enjoyed all of them.
The controls a re simple, and the game is easy to learn, but it is very hard to beat the AI , especially on the middle to higher levels.

Terrain is crucial, and all units have their uses. The use of skirmishing tactics by light troops is important, and the vast variety of unit types gives great variety and interest to the battles. Most battles are quite exciting, with both forces locked in combat, and the issue is often in doubt. It is common for you to win on one flank and lose on another, with the victorious wings clashing in the center to determine the winner. Morale, troop quality, troop type, armor, facing, the order a particular unit is in, pursuit, retreat before combat, all play an important part. And it is possible to pull of a situation where one or more winning units, especially cavalry, can pull of multiple successful attacks in the same turn, which can collapse a whole flank, though this is challenging to pull off.

And their is no invincible unit. A Pike phalanx that seems invincible on open ground can be cut to pieces by irregular troops in rough terrain. In fact, terrain is so important that I review the terrain on the entire nap before I deploy my units, to try to ensure that my units do not find themselves fighting in bad terrain for them.

The AI is brutal and very good, especially at the higher levels.

I am really excited about how this will work with the great strategic game that Ageod is sure to produce.

Pocus

Re: I am excited about resolving crucial battles in Field of Glory 2

Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:02 am

Thanks Vaalen, nice comments, and true about FOG2, even if I'm very newbie to it! But RBS is on my back ;)

You'll want to read this about Empires gameplay also:
viewtopic.php?f=411&t=53151&p=402326#p402326

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:38 pm

Pocus wrote:Thanks Vaalen, nice comments, and true about FOG2, even if I'm very newbie to it! But RBS is on my back ;)

You'll want to read this about Empires gameplay also:
viewtopic.php?f=411&t=53151&p=402326#p402326

Yes, I did indeed want to read that post you made, and I am happy to see the detail and interesting new systems the game will have.

I am currently playing the Pyrrus scenario in Birth of Rome, and the Pyrrus campaign in Field of Glory 2. While there is no direct connection between the two games, I find playing both of them together really increases the immersion factor and enjoyment I have of both.

This will be much better when I can export battle resolution to FOG2 from Empires.

ozmono
Private

Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:33 am

I'm very excited about this possibility too. Didn't buy FoG II until now because I'm more of a strategic gamer rather than tactical but seeing this in the works I went ahead and got myself a copy. Pleasantly found out FoG II was cool without Empires but still can't wait to combine the two. Good luck with the new system AGEOD!

Respenus

Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:36 pm

I have admittedly not followed AGEod developments for a while (although playing PoN and RuS PBEMs), so discovering FoG: Empires was the first time in a LONG, LONG while that I got excited over a new game release, but THIS, being able to combine it with FoG II's combat engine is just, just...well, the forums are missing the "head explode" smily, but you get the gist. Plus, with Philippe's historical background I know you will get the decadence and other important aspect's as close as possible in a game. Imperator has a mighty fine challenger on its hands now. So good luck to the entire team, I know you can do it.

Don Powell
Sergeant

Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:17 pm

Initially, I was not too fond of FOG 2.

Coming in from Pike & Shot, I did not like the animations / fewer models and the scale of models to cities and towns.

I also did not like the lack of grid.

Since then, the Grid can be enabled with the "G" key - so that issue is resolved.

You can zoom the camera out to make the units match up with P & S scale for the most part.

I am still not fond about the scale of units to structures and the abstraction of fortifications etc - but RBS is really against such elements as he is not fond of siege mechanics for his line of games.

So - hopefully, this title has some good options to switch back and forth between FOG 2 style battles and classic AGEOD higher level style combat - with the player being able to choose the one that is most suitable for the situation.

In particular, I hope the AGEOD battle system will be available for sieges.

Pocus

Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:17 pm

The game is standing on its own and is a complete game, so you can do all battles within Empires and you can lay siege too. The battles themselves have some subtleties, we will speak about that in a developer diary by the way.

Don Powell
Sergeant

Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:55 pm

Very nice.

For Strategic / Operational level gaming I would prefer the AGEOD battle resolution approach for the most part - but it may be fun occasionally to use FOG II for certain circumstances.

ajarnlance
General of the Army

Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:53 pm

I wonder... are there any plans to be able to choose tactics in the in-game tactical battles? Also, if the player exports the battle to FOG2 will the terrain in FOG be generated by taking into account the terrain on the strategic map?

Pocus

Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:16 am

NO
YES
;)

We don't plan for now to allow changing how the army is deployed in the battlefield, when you do your battles in Empires (and we like our system, it is definitively not a placeholder, it stands on its own with nice game rules). Often these tactics are just pot shots or random luck things, because without some clues of what your opponent might do, can do, it amounts to rolling a dice and adding modifiers to stats, which is boring. To be done, it should be done intelligently.

The terrain on the strat map is reflected on the tactical map, clearly.

choppinlt
Conscript

Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:41 pm

Long time forum stalker here, but I recently came across Empires and became excited enough to join the forum to interact. I agree that the ability to play out battles with FOG2 is absolutely fantastic! This is exactly the type of game I have been looking for. I have also told several friends who are now interested as well.

Much of my experience has been with miniatures, but FOG2 has replaced my need to use miniatures. This brings me to a question; are there any future considerations that would allow players to manually input battle results? Allowing manual inputs would allow players to use any "tactical" system they wanted (like miniatures). I know this wouldn't be as seamless as using FOG2, but I was just curious.

I also like the Empire battle resolution system from the recent videos I have seen. They seem quick, they allow for variability, and your force mix really matters!

ajarnlance
General of the Army

Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:29 am

I also come from a table top wargaming background. Initially I thought that I would be exporting major battles to FOG2 but the in-game tactical battle system has really grown on me. Battles can be resolved quickly, yet there is a surprising amount of detail which requires careful planning: terrain, generalship, force composition, fatigue, experience etc...
It is the best in-game tactical battle system I've seen, the calculations are transparent and it looks very nice as well (Beta tester).

choppinlt
Conscript

Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:06 am

That is great to hear. It sounds like the in-game battle resolution strikes the right balance of simplicity with depth. Without having access to it yet, I will take your word for it. ;) I have watched a few playthroughs and it seems like there might be subtleties that can make a real difference in the battles, and that is great IMHO. Thanks for the reply.

choppinlt
Conscript

Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:52 pm

I attempted to find the answer, but after a quick search I figured I would just ask here. I am a fan of the TT mod for FOG2. Will the use of this mod (or any other similar FOG2 mod) work when battles are exported to FOG2 from Empires?

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:22 pm

I think the honest answer is 'don't know'. If it adds new units or reformates the role of existing units then it may be a problem, if it simply changes how FoG2 plays then it should be ok.

The translation process is basically take units in Empires, generate a FoG2 army using that input and a set conversion routine, finish battle, recreates the Empires' armies (with losses etc), run the Empires post-battle pursuit routine.

I only use the base FoG2 so I'm not sure which mods change what aspects.

choppinlt
Conscript

Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:49 am

Fair enough! Thanks for the honest answer. I have noticed that some mods have noticeable changes to the army lists. It appears that the TT mod makes some changes to the vanilla lists, but the changes do NOT appear to be major IMHO. And that is why I ask, because I can see where any changes could cause some issues with the import/export routines. OTOH, this may not be a big deal... I guess we can wait and see!

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:47 am

should add, modding the translation system is relatively easy, so even if the mod doesn't work initially it will be easy enough to come up with a translation system that does feed into that mod.

choppinlt
Conscript

Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:26 am

Fantastic! That is all that one could ask for!

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”