pantsukki
Brigadier General

Ideas, suggestions & questions

Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:49 am

The point of this thread is to enable us to post ideas and suggestions to the team for potential additions and fixes, and to ask questions from the devs. Also feel free to comment each other's posts (assuming that people other than me will post here.. :D )!

Timeline
-Why does the GNW campaign end in January 1716? Sweden concluded the last peace treaty with Russia in September 1721.

Map
-Why is most of Finland and big parts of Sweden & Norway omitted? I can understand not including the farthest reaches of Lappland, but there was quite a lot of fighting in Finland, leading to full occupation by Russia (and guerilla warfare against them). Also Sweden's coast was raided by Russia, throughout the Gulf of Bothnia. Including the land connecton between Finland and Sweden would enable Russia to invade Sweden through land instead of using a navy to cross the Baltic Sea. Furthermore, Sweden invaded parts of Norway during the war that currently aren't included.
-Currently the Finnish provinces are, I'm sorry to say, a mess. The nomenclature is a mixture of Swedish and Finnish, names of modern towns/cities that didn't even exist at the time and typos. I can provide a suggestion for new names, but I'd suggest using either Swedish or Finnish consistently, which do you prefer?
-Why is Schisselburg currently just a harbour, with no city?
-In some parts the map is really devoid of cities, is is still possible to add them if suggestions and reasons are provided?

Events
-The Dutch army stack that appears in Stade has no general, leading to massive combat penalties. Is this WAD?
-Further, the same event generates a British naval stack to blockade Copenhagen, but there are no Dutch ships. Shouldn't there be a fleet from both nations?
-Treaty of Travendal:
1) Why does the event currently require Sweden to have over 100 elements in Denmark? Historically they shipped about 10.000 troops with Karl XII. 60 elements would equate to 10 infantry regiments, so about 12.000 men.
2) Shouldn't Sweden get at least 5 NM from the treaty? It means that they have quite effortlessly managed to beat their traditional enemy in a very quick fashion. Surely it should make the nation happy.
3) The Swedish units are teleported back to Sweden, but why are they stuck for 2 turns? Shouldn't 1 turn account for the free transportation?
4) In my save Denmark had taken a couple of empty provinces from mainland Sweden, but after the event these remain controlled by the ASC. Probably the event doesn't currently check for conquered provinces in Sweden?
-The typhus event currently also affects cannons, i.e. one loses actual artillery pieces because of the event. I guess the only option to "protect" them would be to make artillery units immune to the event (if that's even possible in the engine). I haven't checked, but I guess that the other disease etc. events affect artillery pieces too.
-Why can't Sweden currently recruit prisoners? The ASC seems to have the option. Sweden used at least Saxon prisoners in their own units.

Generals
-Holstein's Friedrich is only rank 1, shouldn't he be at least rank 2? He was a sovereign, and also currently can't even command all Holsteinian units without penalties.
-Swedish general "Morner" should be named "Mörner".
-Could the generals' full names be displayed throughout instead of just family names?
-Does the "Training Master" trait work? Sweden's Rehbinder has the trait, but I haven't seen his units gaining experience points.

Diplomacy
-Historically Russia was at war against the Ottomans until July 1700. Shouldn't this be the situation in-game as well? Even better would be to add the possibility that the war continues.
-I've been re-reading Bengt Liljegren's biography on Karl XII, and he mentions that in early 1703 at least Karl's advisor's suggested making peace with August and then allying with him against Russia. Could this be added as an option if Sweden has success against the PLC (and Saxony)?
-The same author also mentions another interesting possibility: after the conquest of Thorn by Sweden Prussia's Friedrich suggested an alliance with the aim of partitioning Poland's Baltic coast. Option to add?
-The units of the PLC seem to be available for August to attack Sweden early on, even though at first the war was his private (Saxonian) effort. It took quite a long time until the PLC fully committed to the war. I'd suggest adding some events to deal with this, their unlocking requiring Swedish aggression (deep) in the PLC.

Regional Decisions
-What's the function of "Accept HoW" and "Reject"? I can't seem to be able to respond to the AI's offers. Also, what determines whether they are accepted or not?
-Could the costs, effects and probability of success of the regional decisions please be added to the selection screen? Ditto for the political and military options, the tooltips are currently quite wrong.
-Why does the "Dragonnade" option cost 1 NM? Why would my general population and the nation as a whole care if some province's (hostile!) population is treated harshly?

Combat
-IMHO engagements at the moment are really indecisive. The casualties are almost always insignificant, even when both sides have an offensive stance. Also I've had multiple instances where I've attacked the AI's single infantry regiments with 3-5 cavalry regiments, winning the combat, but still the infantry retreats fairly intact. Shouldn't they be virtually destroyed?

Movement
-Again, IMHO, but the movement speeds seem and feel quite slow. This coupled with the multitude of (small) provinces & 30 day turns means that it takes a lot of time to move around the map. I'd love 15 day turns and increased movement speeds.
-I'm seeing quite a lot of Russian ships in the Baltic (and also in Hamburg, which has already been reported). Apparently they have sailed there all the way from the Black Sea. This seems really implausible, and I'd suggest blocking the Bosphorus for the Russians.

Engine
-In your other titles the postures (and special orders) of your stacks are visible on the map, could this be added?
-Could you add unit types to the tooltips when one hovers the cursor over a stack? Currently it shows the name of the unit and cohesion (or is it combat power?) It's often quite hard to guess whether a unit is infantry or cavalry simply based on the name and numerical value.
-Shouldn't the capture of (bigger) cities give resources to the conqueror? At least money and some war supplies. For example the above mentioned author Liljegren writes that the conquest of Thorn yielded Sweden 100.000 thalers and large amounts of cannons. Capture of Lemberg gave Sweden 140 cannons(!) and 300.000 thalers.
-The tooltip for the order to destroy depots and forts currently states that if they are at level 1 or above they cannot be destroyed. So they can't ever be manually destroyed? Why? Shouldn't every level of forts and depots be destructible, at least with some time devoted?
-After Travendal Danish ships in the Baltic Sea Trade box still seem to be reported as raiders, can this be changed?

Campaign
-Why does the GNW start with Swedish units very badly depleted while the ASC has all units at 100% strength?

Units
-Currently the militia and city garrisons have the same combat power (13), but the latter is much more expensive. Make the militia version cheaper?
-Swedish Cuirassiers are much more expensive than Dragoons but seem to have less combat power. Should they be cheaper?

In its current state the game is already enjoyable and I'm really glad that you chose the era that you did, I just that hope that with feedback the game can be made even better! :)

PhilThib

Re: Ideas, suggestions & questions

Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:43 am

Good and long list...I believe the team will take the good suggestions for one of the next patches.

As for the map there is zero chance it can be changed, the team idea was to base the game on an existing map surface (i.e. that of WON) and not to redo a costly map from scratch. Especially for the sole purpose of showing minor fighting in the empty wastes of Finland :niark:

There is a land connection between Finland and the northern Off Map box of Sweden

pantsukki
Brigadier General

Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:10 pm

PhilThib wrote:Good and long list...I believe the team will take the good suggestions for one of the next patches.

Nice to hear! Now I wonder which were the good suggestions :D

PhilThib wrote:As for the map there is zero chance it can be changed, the team idea was to base the game on an existing map surface (i.e. that of WON) and not to redo a costly map from scratch. Especially for the sole purpose of showing minor fighting in the empty wastes of Finland :niark:

That is unfortunate, but I was pretty sure that it's unchangeable. However, is it 110% "locked"? Is it possible to add cities? Or at least change province and/or city names?

PhilThib

Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:47 am

pantsukki wrote:That is unfortunate, but I was pretty sure that it's unchangeable. However, is it 110% "locked"? Is it possible to add cities? Or at least change province and/or city names?

Adding city is feasible because it does not need to redo the map background or cut. As for the names, you can custom change them as you wish through the Local Strings file, this won't be hard to make and won't need to make a complete overhaul of the DB...this was already done likewise for a few regions in the game during beta...

pantsukki
Brigadier General

Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:42 pm

That's good to hear. Would the team prefer Swedish or Finnish names for Finnish provinces?

PhilThib

Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:17 am

When we design games at Ageod, the 'rule', as far as possible, is to use the local language...or the master language in some case (i.e. Swedes in Finland at that time, or German in Bohemia for instance)...

pantsukki
Brigadier General

Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:21 am

Alright. I'll compile a list later with suggestions for improved Finnish province names. Also there seemed to be a few typos in Sweden, which I'll include. Hopefully they can be incorporated into a patch even though it's a very small issue.

Liberty Bell
Captain

Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:50 pm

RegionName1520 Moss
RegionName1521 Fredrikstad
RegionName1522 Sarpsborg
RegionName1523 Halden
RegionName1524 Strömstad
RegionName1525 Tanum
RegionName1526 Lysekil
RegionName1527 Dal
RegionName1528 Oddevold
RegionName1529 Kungälv
RegionName1530 Göteborg
RegionName1531 Lödöse
RegionName1532 Varberg
RegionName1533 Halmstad
RegionName1534 Laholm
RegionName1535 Knäred
RegionName1536 Hälsingborg
RegionName1537 Göinge
RegionName1538 Malmö
RegionName1539 Trelleborg
RegionName1540 Ystad
RegionName1541 Kristianstad
RegionName1542 Olofström
RegionName1543 Karlsham
RegionName1544 Ronneby
RegionName1545 Karlskrona
RegionName1546 Bergkvara
RegionName1547 Kalmar
RegionName1548 Tingsryd
RegionName1549 Växjö
RegionName1550 Ljungby
RegionName1551 Alvesta
RegionName1552 Marks
RegionName1553 Torpa
RegionName1554 Värnamo
RegionName1555 Jönköping
RegionName1556 Husqvarna
RegionName1557 Eksjö
RegionName1558 Vimmerby
RegionName1559 Oskarshamn
RegionName1560 Västervik
RegionName1561 Söderköping
RegionName1562 Vadstena
RegionName1563 Tranås
RegionName1564 Motala
RegionName1565 Linköping
RegionName1566 Norrköping
RegionName1567 Borås
RegionName1568 Uricehamn
RegionName1569 Vänersborg
RegionName1570 Skara
RegionName1571 Mariestad
RegionName1572 Karlsborg
RegionName1573 Bengtsfors
RegionName1574 Åmål
RegionName1575 Karlstad
RegionName1576 Säffle
RegionName1577 Årjäng
RegionName1578 Grums
RegionName1579 Töcksfors
RegionName1580 Eda
RegionName1581 Arvika
RegionName1582 Sunne
RegionName1583 Kristinehamn
RegionName1584 Karlsskoga
RegionName1585 Askersund
RegionName1586 Örebro
RegionName1587 Katrineholm
RegionName1588 Nyköping
RegionName1589 Filipstad
RegionName1590 Lindesberg
RegionName1591 Arboga
RegionName1592 Eskiltuna
RegionName1593 Strängnäs
RegionName1594 Södertälje
RegionName1595 Stockholm
RegionName1596 Vaxholm
RegionName1597 Roslagen
RegionName1598 Sigtuna
RegionName1599 Enköping
RegionName1600 Norrtälje
RegionName1601 Dannemora
RegionName1602 Sala
RegionName1603 Uppsala
RegionName1604 Köping
RegionName1605 Västerås
RegionName1606 Visby
Last edited by Liberty Bell on Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PhilThib

Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:32 pm

Great..not sure the game handles some special accented letters though (we had an issue with the Polish L letter in Stanislaw) :pleure:

BlasdeMondragon
Conscript

Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:22 pm

Hi All,

Just a quick idea for possible inclusion in a future patch/mod, which might enhance the colonial side of the conflict:

The Dutch, English, and French East India company ships were all heavily armed. While not quite as powerful as dedicated ships of the line, they tended to mount at least as much artillery as 5th/6th-rates and frigates, and often carried hundreds of soldiers. I read somewhere, for example, that no Dutch naval ships needed to venture east of the Cape before the mid-18th century, because the VOC had sufficient firepower to fend for itself. In the Nine Year's War, they mounted an attack on French Pondicherry, and in the Spanish Succession War they strongly considered an offensive from Batavia to seize Manila. I don't think they followed through (perhaps because of local Spanish strength?), but the English did go after the Manila Galleon.

Anyway, would it be practical to add this dimension of the war, without disrupting the rest of the game? :)

Best,
Blas

PhilThib

Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:45 am

All the elements for this are already present, with the offmap boxes representing various parts of the world. My 2cents is that it could be added without changing much the complexity of the game :indien:

pantsukki
Brigadier General

Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:16 pm

Events
-The Breaking of Patkul: the event in its current state seems really overpowered. Sweden gains 20(!!) NM, 2000 conscripts and 500 VP. At the same time The Treaty of Altranstädt seems to yield only 2 NM and 88 VP. I'd suggest lowering the gains from the Patkul event significantly and increasing the gains from Altranstädt. Now the execution of one traitor gives more NM than the capture of almost any city (IIRC Moscow is 25 NM).

Generals
-Currently the Swedish governor in Reval, Gardie, has a pretty high seniority. This coupled with the fact that he is permanently locked means that it's very hard to be able to promote Swedish generals without massive penalties, as the promotion of field generals will "anger" Gardie. Could his seniority be lowered?
-Sweden's Sparre currently has only 2 CP because of his traits (quickly angered?). Could the trait be changed to the one that gives -2 CP, so that he could actually command some regiments?

Objectives
-Currently Sweden's Polish objectives (the ones listed in the ledger) are limited to Vilnius, Minsk and Warsaw. Could the list be expanded a little? Krakow? Poznan? Thorn? Brest-Litovsk? I'd suggest also adding some Russian cities.
-Sweden has no objectives in Saxony. Add Dresden and Leipzig?
-Both sides have Helsingfors as an objective in Finland. I suggest changing this to Åbo as it was the main city in Finland at the time.
-Could the province of Neva (currently has Nöteborg IIRC) be added as an objective to Russia? If it had a value of 1 NM it might encourage the AI to try and take it? During 6 years of gameplay I've yet to see the AI even entering the province.

PhilThib

Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:28 pm

Points noted and transferred to the team for inclusion in next change. Thanks :indien:

pantsukki
Brigadier General

Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:19 pm

OOB

I started checking the Swedish Fleet at the start of the campaign using this fascinating blog as a source: http://rusmilhist.blogspot.fi/. Therein one can find two posts about the OOB of the Swedish fleet, one from Admiral Rook's journal (http://rusmilhist.blogspot.fi/2012/08/f ... -1699.html) and another from a Swedish source (http://rusmilhist.blogspot.fi/2011/04/s ... -1700.html).

The latter lists additional admirals that seem to be missing currently: Admirals C.Ankarstjerna and F.Taube and Vice Admirals v.Numers, O. Sjöstjerna and De Prou.

I was cross-referencing these two sources to the current OOB, and made the following finds:

Fleet in Karlskrona
-The 100-cannon ships: I couldn't find Göta Lejon nor Tre Kronor from either list
-Of the other 74-cannon group I couldn't find Nordstjerna nor Prins Carl Fredrik
-First 64-cannon group: Bremen and Pommern are missing from both sources, from the second 64's Södermanland and Werden are missing from both sources
-From the second Frigate group all the ships (Venus, Hook and Falk) are missing from both sources. Although I guess "Falk" could be a misspelled version of "Le Faucon's" Swedish translation
-Brigs Frederickstein and Trolle are missing from both sources

Stralsund
-Fredrika Amalia (50 cannons) is also located in Karlskrona as a 64. The Swedish source lists it as a 62, so the one from Stralsund should be removed?

Ships in the Swedish source that are currently missing from the game:
-Drottning Hedvig (90 cannons, 548 sailors, 100 soldiers)
-Drottning Ulrika (80, 671, 100)
-Victoria (70, 407, 48)
-Wrangel (70, 381, 75)
-Uppland (70, 381, 75)
-Bleking (70, 380, 45)

Lighter ships from Rook's list that are missing:
-Riga (32 cannons, 150 sailors, 20 soldiers)
-Stralsund (same)
-Steinbock (36, 160, 30)
-Fredericus (same)
-Warberg (same)
-La Nouvelle Rose (same, the source is French, probably the name should be in Swedish)
-Le Faucon (26, 100, 20, name in French)
-Marstrand (same info)
-Fama (16 cannons, 40 sailors, 6 soldiers)
-Neptune (same)
-Le Chasseur (same info, French name) Edit: this is probably "Jagare" in-game.

To summarize, missing ships by amount of cannons: 90, 80, 4x70, 4x36, 2x32, 2x26 and 3x16.
Possible ships to remove: 2x100, 2x74, 4x64, 3x33 and 3x18 (and Fredrika Amalia exists as a double).

If you trust the sources provided, then I would suggest:
-Renaming Göta Lejon and Tre Kronor into Drottning Hedvig and Drottning Ulrika (maybe downgrading Ulrika to an 80-cannon ship)
-Renaming Nordstjerna and Prins Carl Fredrik into Victoria and Wrangel
-Renaming Bremen and Pommern into Uppland and Bleking
-Removing Södermanland and Werden
-Renaming Venus, Hook and Falk into Riga, Stralsund and Steinbock
-Adding a frigate squadron with three ships: Fredericus, Warberg and La Nouvelle Rose (Nya Rosen in Swedish)
-Renaming Frederickstein and Trolle into Fama and Neptune.
-Adding a Brig (or Frigate) squadron with Le Faucon (Höken in Swedish) and Marstrand.
-Remove the duplicated Fredrika Amalia from Stralsund

And yes, I have too much spare time :D

pantsukki
Brigadier General

Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:22 pm

To continue with the naval theme, I wrote in the first post that there should also be a Dutch fleet blockading Copenhagen.

Events/OOB

Here's an OOB from the above mentioned blog (http://rusmilhist.blogspot.fi/2012/09/d ... de-on.html):

74 cannons: Unie,
72: Alkmaar (listed twice in the source), Dordrecht, Eerste Edelle, Katwijk,
64: Veluwe, Utreght Ampt (I wonder if it should be "Utrecht"), Arnheim, Emilia, Utreght (ditto),
56: Heer van Utreght (see above), Batavier,
54: Vlissengen.

3 Frigates: De Beschuyter, Den Brielle (both 36 cannons) and Aurora (18).
Also one unknown ship (Salamander) and two fireships.

Commanding officer was lieutenant admiral Philips Almonde (or Allmonde).

Also currently the British blockade navy is generated already in February 1700, which is ahistorically early and also creates problems as they suffer from winter weather and lose supplies. I would suggest creating the British and Dutch navies in May or June 1700.

Edit: it seems that the Danish fleet gets unlocked in May, so maybe spawn the blockade fleets in May too?
I loaded the February turn as the ASC, and I can actually see a Dutch fleet in the same sea zone as Rooke's. So apparently it gets spawned, but there's currently something wrong with its allegiance as it doesn't show for the Swedish side.

pantsukki
Brigadier General

Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:26 pm

Map
Here are my suggestions to improve the province names in Finland, I've used Swedish names if available. First name is current province (city), second is my suggestion. Currently the names are a mixture of Finnish and Swedish, misspellings, geographically and/or timeline wise wrong names.

Abo --> Åbo
Marieham --> Mariehamn
Foerssa --> Nystad
Rauma --> Raumo
Pori --> Björneborg
Loimaa --> ok
Tampere --> new province name Tavastkyro, city should be transferred to current province "Rihimakki" and renamed (see below)
Hangoe --> Hangö
Ekenaes --> Ekenäs
Porkkala --> Sjundeå
Salo --> ok
Vanda --> Vichtis
Esbo --> Västra Nyland
Rihimakki --> transfer the current city Tampere here, rename the city and province into Tavastehus
Lahti --> Tusby
Helsingfors --> ok
Sveaborg province and city of Helsingfors --> Borgå (reduce the city size, fort at most lvl 1, Sveaborg arsenal should be removed and maybe given to Åbo or Viborg)
Lovisa --> Östra Nyland
Kouvolla --> Valkeala
Kotka --> Kymmenegård
Hamina --> Veckelax
Valkeala --> Itis
Vuoksaa --> Vederlax
Mikkeli --> Kymmenedalen
Saimaa --> Lappee
Vuoksaa --> Säkkijärvi
Vyborg --> Viborg
Karjala --> Koivisto
Lappeenranta --> Jäskis
Terijoki --> Kivinebb
Savonlinaa --> Ruokolahti
Taipala --> Taipale
Kexholm province --> Kexholm
Sortavallaa --> Sordavala

Is there a population requirement for a province to get a city on-map?

Liberty Bell
Captain

Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:14 am

Thanks pantsukki. Excellent!
I have tested and for me the Swedish letters (åäö) works just fine!
(They also working for leader and unit names)
Last edited by Liberty Bell on Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Liberty Bell
Captain

Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:24 am

I must say it is a great feeling to play with this corrected names both in spelling and position,
Well done!

Maybe we should translate the Danish and Norwegian namnes with their special letter (ø).
And the Livonain, Estonian and Ingrian names? For exampel Dagö and Ösel?

I am glad we have too much spare time :D

PhilThib

Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:06 am

May be one of you guys could enter the fixed region names in the DB (type the new name in red for instance)? :sourcil:

Once done, post it back here or send it to me by email to pthibaut@ageod.net
Attachments
LocalStrings_WSS_v2z.rar
(588.22 KiB) Downloaded 1810 times

Liberty Bell
Captain

Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:02 pm

I have sent a copy of what I have tested,
I hope I have got the Finnish regions right?

RegionName1520 Moss
RegionName1521 Fredrikstad
RegionName1522 Sarpsborg
RegionName1523 Halden
RegionName1524 Strömstad
RegionName1525 Tanum
RegionName1526 Lysekil
RegionName1527 Dal
RegionName1528 Oddevold
RegionName1529 Kungälv
RegionName1530 Göteborg
RegionName1531 Lödöse
RegionName1532 Varberg
RegionName1533 Halmstad
RegionName1534 Laholm
RegionName1535 Knäred
RegionName1536 Hälsingborg
RegionName1537 Göinge
RegionName1538 Malmö
RegionName1539 Trelleborg
RegionName1540 Ystad
RegionName1541 Kristianstad
RegionName1542 Olofström
RegionName1543 Karlsham
RegionName1544 Ronneby
RegionName1545 Karlskrona
RegionName1546 Bergkvara
RegionName1547 Kalmar
RegionName1548 Tingsryd
RegionName1549 Växjö
RegionName1550 Ljungby
RegionName1551 Alvesta
RegionName1552 Marks
RegionName1553 Torpa
RegionName1554 Värnamo
RegionName1555 Jönköping
RegionName1556 Husqvarna
RegionName1557 Eksjö
RegionName1558 Vimmerby
RegionName1559 Oskarshamn
RegionName1560 Västervik
RegionName1561 Söderköping
RegionName1562 Vadstena
RegionName1563 Tranås
RegionName1564 Motala
RegionName1565 Linköping
RegionName1566 Norrköping
RegionName1567 Borås
RegionName1568 Uricehamn
RegionName1569 Vänersborg
RegionName1570 Skara
RegionName1571 Mariestad
RegionName1572 Karlsborg
RegionName1573 Bengtsfors
RegionName1574 Åmål
RegionName1575 Karlstad
RegionName1576 Säffle
RegionName1577 Årjäng
RegionName1578 Grums
RegionName1579 Töcksfors
RegionName1580 Eda
RegionName1581 Arvika
RegionName1582 Sunne
RegionName1583 Kristinehamn
RegionName1584 Karlskoga
RegionName1585 Askersund
RegionName1586 Örebro
RegionName1587 Katrineholm
RegionName1588 Nyköping
RegionName1589 Filipstad
RegionName1590 Lindesberg
RegionName1591 Arboga
RegionName1592 Eskiltuna
RegionName1593 Strängnäs
RegionName1594 Södertälje
RegionName1595 Stockholm
RegionName1596 Vaxholm
RegionName1597 Roslagen
RegionName1598 Sigtuna
RegionName1599 Enköping
RegionName1600 Norrtälje
RegionName1601 Dannemora
RegionName1602 Sala
RegionName1603 Uppsala
RegionName1604 Köping
RegionName1605 Västerås
RegionName1606 Visby
RegionName1607 Mariehamn
RegionName1608 Nystad
RegionName1609 Åbo
RegionName1610 Salo
RegionName1611 Hangö
RegionName1612 Ekenäs
RegionName1613 Sjundeå
RegionName1614 Västra Nyland
RegionName1615 Helsingfors
RegionName1616 Borgå
RegionName1617 Östra Nyland
RegionName1618 Kymmenegård
RegionName1619 Veckelax
RegionName1620 Säkkijärvi
RegionName1621 Viborg
RegionName1622 Koivisto
RegionName1623 Kivinebb
RegionName1624 Taipale
RegionName1625 Kexholm
RegionName1626 Sordavala
RegionName1627 Kymmenedalen
RegionName1628 Lappee
RegionName1629 Ruokolahti
RegionName1630 Jäskis
RegionName1631 Tusby
RegionName1632 Valkeala
RegionName1633 Itis
RegionName1634 Tavastkyro
RegionName1635 Vichtis
RegionName1636 Tavastehus
RegionName1637 Björneborg
RegionName1638 Raumo

PhilThib

Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:20 pm

Mail received, thanks :papy:

pantsukki
Brigadier General

Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:17 am

pantsukki wrote:Campaign
-Why does the GNW start with Swedish units very badly depleted while the ASC has all units at 100% strength?

This gripe applies at least to all the regular Swedish units (other than "Tremännig"). For them the (trained!) manpower existed already, and also all the necessary equipment. It was just a matter of gathering the companies, battalions and regiments after mobilization. I also found an article that claims that already in December 1699 Sweden issued orders to its regiments to place themselves into readiness (based on reports on an imminent Russian attack). Thus I feel that if the Swedish (regular) units will be kept locked, they should be locked at most for the first turn and then available for operations.

Events
-Treaty of Altranstädt: Saxony was forced to pay for the winter upkeep of the massive Swedish army, so I suggest that the event should also award Sweden quite a lot of money. Furthermore, an article (both articles that I've referenced are from the GNW Compendium) claims that during the period in Saxony after the treaty the Swedish army received German protestant volunteers, so the Treaty event could also give Sweden some manpower? Sadly no numbers are given, other than the mention that the army swelled from 19.000 to 32.000, but most likely the majority of these weren't the referenced volunteers. Then again, Sweden probably also recruited from the area, meaning that they had extra manpower available.

Liberty Bell, cheers for the effort!

PhilThib

Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:31 am

I guess those last two points could be easily represented. Thanks for finding out :cool:

Liberty Bell
Captain

Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:26 pm

I don't agree about the first comment. (Would like to read that article)

The news of the sneak attacks and outbreak of the GNW reached King Charles in March 1700, who then gave the order of mobilization. The allotment regiments was ready and organized, but had months to gather and getting in positions. That was in May for the main royal army.

The Finnish regiments got the news more early and try to reach Riga during the cold winter and spring.
Some of the Swedish regular regiments was placed and reinforcing the German armies as there was an ongoing conflict in Holstein Gottorp. (Sörmlands, Östergöta, Skaraborgs, Kronobergs, Jönköpings and Norra Skånska)

The timing of when the game starts is the question. Now it starts in January 1700. When the operations started later in different months for the involving parties. I think the game represent this in a very historical correct manner.

pantsukki
Brigadier General

Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:05 pm

Well the amount of turns that the regiments should be locked is debatable (and finally we have some discussion!), but in any case they (Swedish regulars) definitely should start the game at 100 %.

The article that I mentioned is from the Great Northern War Compendium, titled "The First Foray: The Landing at Humlebaek 1700", written by Steve Kling. It's more of an off-hand comment about Sweden's preparedness for the Danish attack. Sadly the whole Compendium has been written in a non-academic way, ie. the authors don't provide exact source references. Nevertheless, I have no reason to doubt the information provided.

Question to the devs: why the decision to have two separate campaigns? And is there a possibility of combining the GNW and the Spanish Succession War? That would be a great multiplayer experience. Historically there were quite many links between the participants and lots of diplomatic opportunities and attempts. Already during the GNW one gets a lot of events related to the Spanish War, but they don't seem to affect anything.

pantsukki
Brigadier General

Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:08 pm

Liberty Bell wrote:And the Livonain, Estonian and Ingrian names? For exampel Dagö and Ösel?

IIRC currently at least the Ingrian provinces have Russian names. Would be great to have them in Swedish instead.

Liberty Bell
Captain

Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:17 pm

pantsukki wrote:in any case they (Swedish regulars) definitely should start the game at 100 %.

Yes, all regulars should be 100%. I saw that the Finnish regiments are not. The regiments in Sweden is locked until the gathering at their historical positions. An alternative would be to place them unlocked scattered in their home provincials. But the crucial timing for the game and historically is when the Swedish navy is ready and unlocked. As I see the game is very realistic in that. The only thing is that the English and Dutch navies blockade is from February, should be in June to be correct. Nordic winter sea is very cold and dangerous you know ;)

Pantsukki, about the baltic Swedish names. You translate Ingria and I do Estonia?
Do we have a deal? :)

At last I have to say, this is a fantastic game, I love the GNW scenario, well done Team, keep it up :hat:

pantsukki
Brigadier General

Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:53 pm

Indeed the allied navy event could use some tuning. Also currently the Dutch squadron is inaccessible to Sweden, but it's spawned.

I can look at the Ingrian names, but not sure how good sources I have for that. I've also been working on a list of cities/forts to add, if you have any suggestions I'd love to see them!

Liberty Bell
Captain

Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:37 pm

Suggestion of region names for Swedish Estonia.

RegionName2553 Ösel
RegionName2554 Arensburg
RegionName2555 Leal
RegionName2556 Kynö
RegionName2557 Pernau
RegionName2558 Fennern
RegionName2559 Gudmannsbach
RegionName2560 Salis
RegionName2561 Karkus
RegionName2562 Wolmar
RegionName2563 Walk
RegionName2564 Werro
RegionName2565 Waldeck
RegionName2566 Pölva
RegionName2567 Odenpää
RegionName2568 Virts
RegionName2569 Köppo
RegionName2570 Viljandi
RegionName2571 Dorpat
RegionName2572 Lais
RegionName2573 Oberpahlen
RegionName2574 Jerven
RegionName2575 Rappel
RegionName2576 Wittensten
RegionName2577 Dagö
RegionName2578 Hapsal
RegionName2579 Wiek
RegionName2580 Reval
RegionName2581 Harrien
RegionName2582 Kusal
RegionName2583 Wesenberg
RegionName2584 Västvirland
RegionName2585 Östvirland
RegionName2586 Jewe
RegionName2587 Nyslott
RegionName2588 Vaivara
RegionName2589 Narva
Last edited by Liberty Bell on Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:52 am, edited 3 times in total.

Liberty Bell
Captain

Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:38 pm

Looking next for Livonia :)

Return to “Wars of Succession”