Blood and Thunder Brigade
Brigadier General

Suggestions Box

Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:53 pm

Basically, I'd like this thread to become a 'suggestions central', if you will, where all & sundry are free to suggest whatever it is they feel may improve this already superb game. For me, some things I'd like to see in future versions are:
- A greater selection of generals, and the option to promote more of them.
- An improved soundtrack to the battle screen. I don't necessarily mind the current one, but I feel it could use some touch up paint. Something like the following would be very cool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHA96jS9Prw&t=3623s https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdNqGLwA6ME. Also, maybe some graphics that represented particular phases of a battle could be included, too.
- Predetermined regions of retreat/withdrawal.

Anyways, that's a start. Feel free to add more :)

ArmChairGeneral
AGEod Grognard

Re: Suggestions Box

Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:17 pm

Fix the battle report screen. There is no good reason we cannot see all the elements in a division!!

Captain_Orso

Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:06 pm

Finally add the Sort Leaders by actual Seniority option to the Units List window.

pgr
General of the Army

Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:48 am

Captain_Orso wrote:Finally add the Sort Leaders by actual Seniority option to the Units List window.

Oh good hevens yes!

Nikel

Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:29 pm

Are you talking about a hypothetical ACW3 that would be done with the new engine?
Last edited by Nikel on Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pgr
General of the Army

Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:05 pm

Well if this were suggestions for a future version.... then

I'd suggest a more abstracted recruitment system. Have a recruitment screen that divides manpower by state, and elements are recruited by assigning element quotas to each state. (As in request that NY provide 20 regiments of infantry, 6 cavalry, 12 batteries of artillery.) The player would designate mustering cities, and the state units would appear (i.e. muster into Federal service) there. $ and WS would still be a national stockpile and states would draw from it to fill their quotas, but the speed of filling and size of a state quota would be impacted by loyalty and NM.

Also 7 day turns would be nice.

DrPostman

Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:14 pm

I'd like to see the CSA at least have some influence on where an intervention takes place. Invite
British forces into a specific port, for example.
Last edited by DrPostman on Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DrPostman

Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:16 pm

Nikel wrote:Are you talking about a hypothetical ACW3 that would be done with the new engine?

I believe we are. They probably won't call it CW3, but it could be built upon what's we already have. Hope
the devs are at least considering it. Might not be for a few years yet. Remember how long it took to go from
ACW to CW2?

They could even hold a contest to come up with a new name, like American Civil War Grand Edition.
I'm sure someone could come up with something less lame.

Nikel

Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:24 pm

No idea what Ageod is planning to do with the new engine.

Revamping the old games?

Completely new topics and eras? Ageod Pacific War :pouet: Ageod Orcs vs Elves? :wacko:

If it is the first no doubt ACW3 will be the chosen one, AACW and CW2 being their great commercial successes.

Brigadier General

Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:49 am

Nikel wrote:Are you talking about a hypothetical ACW3 that would be done with the new engine?

I was referring to both future patches of this current game and a hypothetical ACW3. Throwing ideas around can surely do no harm ;)

Brigadier General

Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:20 pm

pgr wrote:Also 7 day turns would be nice.

Would not 7 & 8 day turns be necessary to keep it all within the 30 day per month framework? Also, actual calendar dates would be better than just Day 1, Day 2, Day 3, etc, etc.

Brigadier General

Tue May 09, 2017 12:22 pm

I'd like an option that allows me to designate a brigade, division or corps as a strategic reserve only to be committed to battle to either strengthen a defensive line or exploit a breakthrough in an attack. While the game already seems to have a system in place that is something like that, I'm all too often exasperated (particularly in large scale army-size battles) by the games curious habit of dropping forces in & out of battle, which all too often leaves ones smallest & weakest force to face the full wrath of an attacking army, and by the time the force which you would prefer to be doing the bulk of the fighting returns to battle, said smaller & weaker force has been severely weakened. I'm assuming that having a designated reserve would largely cure that problem.

Rod Smart
Colonel

Tue May 09, 2017 4:27 pm

Stealing some ideas from other games:

- NM loss even if you "win" a battle. The old SSI game No Greater Glory had this. If the North had Antietam and Shiloh the same week, the population would have been horrified by the losses, even with the tactical victories. In that game, if you had too many battles at once, you could lose support even if you won all of them, due to the mass casualties.

- Filling high level bureaucratic positions, like war, navy, economic ministers. Like No Greater Glory, Hearts of Iron, and probably a dozen other games. There were real, and significant, controversies, brilliance, and incompetence at those higher levels that had measurable impacts on the outcome of the war.

- Trading $ for better weaponry. I think it was Grant Lee Sherman/Civil War 2, the game with all the tactical battles, that allowed you to do this. You could "buy" Henry rifles for everyone, but it cost a fortune to resupply ammunition. Also related to a real life controversy that happened in the war department in the early days of the war.

- Ability to promote all your generals, regardless of history. Like every other game. I'd be cool with limiting it to only when you choose "randomized generals," since that would conceivable also randomize their ability to be promoted.

- Generals picking up special attributes, like the Total War games. Attack a fort successfully three times, get that ability. Lose 4 battles in a row, get that negative attribute. Sit still in a city for three years, lose the fast mover trait, get a recruiting trait. Etc.

Brigadier General

Wed May 10, 2017 2:51 pm

I like all of these suggestions, particularly the one regarding the ability to promote any general I want. I've always found it frustrating that a large number of generals cannot be promoted regardless of how much success they have on the battlefield.

tripax
AGEod Veteran

Wed May 10, 2017 7:58 pm

Minor changes that could be done within current game:
No more unnamed regiments, this is an easy fix in the DBs and should have been fixed between AACW and CW2 (my mod fixed this, but I stopped maintaining it after it broke in an upgrade).

Contrabands should fire in Fort Monroe first, they should also appear as the black brigade in Cincinnati.

Fewer mixed infantry-artillery, infantry-cavalry, and infantry-cavalry-artillery regiments.

One way to induce regiment building across multiple states is to get rid of states in unit production - reduce the number of states which allow building - just build units either in the west or the east and then pool regiment and brigade names.

Get rid of militias - give most towns a fixed, 5hp militia, with no NM cost for destruction, but militias didn't make up a large component of major armies in the war (they were aggregated into regiments if used) like they can in the game. Militias that upgrade into line infantry should change their designation to a line infantry designation.

Major changes:
Add governors, war department commissioners, cabinet members, more policy choices.

Dynamic general abilities (with some proclivities, so some generals are more likely to become good a cavalry, or something).

Brigadier General

Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:22 pm

More realistic march times between one region & another. They strike me as being completely out of whack.

DrPostman

Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:47 am

Blood and Thunder Brigade wrote:More realistic march times between one region & another. They strike me as being completely out of whack.

Always check the weather conditions when you see that happen. Often it's because of inclement weather.
"Ludus non nisi sanguineus"

Brigadier General

Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:03 pm

An option to change my offensive or defensive stance immediately after a battle. Yes! :D

Return to “Civil War II”