Quirk
Lieutenant

Prisoners

Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:36 am

Hello all,

Started playing Thirty Years War some days ago and I am deep into the Catholic campaign. I am a bit disappointed about the AIs bahviour regarding supply, as it seems it loses quite a lot of troops wandering around the landscape, which makes it rather easy to beat him. But I guess that' just Athena. Nevertheless, nice game so far!

What I have noticed though, is, that I never seem to take any prisoners, never men, never generals. There are those two big prisoner fields on top of the map and the exchange decision, so I guess there definitely should be prisoners. What am I doing wrong? I am playing via Steam with the latest patch (1.01 I think).

Thanks in advance!

Ripster8
Colonel

Re: Prisoners

Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:15 am

In the several TYW games that I have played there were never many prisoners, nor did the 'release prisoners' RDC ever work. I don't think this function was every implemented.

Durk

Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:54 am

Interesting, as I had kind of forgotten this component of the game and of the history of the time. Prisoners were often taken and exchanged, historically. Often almost half of a mercenary army would change sides.
I have never seen a leader captured even when inside a fort/city which surrenders.
Nice post

Quirk
Lieutenant

Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:02 pm

Another observation is, that when I annihilate an entire army, sometimes its leader stays put in the given territory. He will never move again and cannot be attacked. At the moment I think I have 4 or 5 of those generals sitting around doing nothing. Maybe these leaders were supposed to be taken captive, but something in the code/script does not work right, prohibiting the transfer of said generals into the prison box?

Durk

Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:11 am

I have never seen the losing general locked situation. For an experiment, you might play the release prisoner option on the region instead of the box.

Quirk
Lieutenant

Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:25 am

Had to test that right away, didn't work though :(
Very weird....,maybe we'll get a patch sometime, that might solve this problem. I get no error messages whatsoever, so there is no hint on what could be wrong.

Leibst

Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:21 pm

The boxes were designed to manage imprisoned leaders.
Leaders in TYW should fall prisoners randomly at battles. But it seems that this has never worked, until now.
In case of an imprisoned leader, the RGD purpose was to release him.

Prisoners (soldiers) in battles are not very common in the game, only sometimes we had seen a bunch of them.
This can be solved as I have understand (late for the game release) what i was doing bad. The bad new is that the solution means a big impact in the cost of units and this means an impact in the game economy system.
Could be done, but needs time of design and time of testing with the risk that this means if we dont do a good work.

So by now this two issues are waiting for their moment. I can say that I really don't feel happy leaving it as it is. So probably will be fixed in the future, adding this as a small feature to the game.

Quirk
Lieutenant

Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:23 pm

Hey Leibstandarte,

Well, it is no big deal to be honest. I was just cuious if I did something wrong or if other also had this problem. Though it is still weird that the generals are just sitting around, doing nothing. Maybe they should have died in the battle, but something is going wrong in my game.
Nevertheless, I am having fun, and that is what counts. Still hoping for a new version of Athena with a better single player experience though :)

Return to “Thirty Years War”