NicoleJS
Conscript

CTD's? I don't get it.

Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:15 am

To be fair, the Napoleonic Wars is an ambitious subject for a game. One expects that there might be
teething issues with such a project.

But crashes? Isn't this the same engine that was used in Birth of America all those years ago? I
know nothing about computer programing. But shouldn't an engine this old, which has been used in so
many successful and stable games, be stable?

I am an fan of AGEOD. This is maybe my favorite military history subject. The maps are beautiful. The
counters, especially the leader depictions are exquisite. All the raw materials are in place. And I
would bet that most of, or at least a good portion of, the hard work is already done.

Please fix this game. I purchased it, and would do so again to support AGEOD. But I also want to play it,
real bad.

mjw
Lieutenant

Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:11 pm

I haven't had too many crashes but I know many have. I LOVE the AGEOD games. Having said that, the AGE engine is old but still good in doing what it was designed to do. Unfortunately, I think AGEOD got too complex with these games. Thy added bits at a time, like event cards, battle plans, detailed diplomacy options, etc. compare the original Birth of America with WoN. Some games like RoP and RUS seemed to do ok, other games did not. ACW2 has AI issues as does WoN. So I think they just started asking the engine to do to much. Maybe that is why people get a lot of crashes with an older engine...there is so much more going on in the game than the engine was originally designed to handle.

I may be wrong, but consider that the new AGEOD game "Wars of Secession" is being advertised as a "return to basics" and a "game more like Wars in America". So I think AGEOD looked at ACW2, War to end All Wars and Napoleon and compared it to "30 years war" and concluded "less is more"

My guess: too much stuff for engine to handle=instability=crashes.

Durk

Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:56 am

This might be a simple solution. I find that after about three consecutive turns I get a crash. So I exit every other turn and have had no more crashes.

Colonel Marbot
Lieutenant

Re: CTD's? I don't get it.

Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:06 pm

My experience is that the game can be sensitive to the computer environment. I was able to reduce crashes considerably when I went in and shut down all the non-essential processes using task manager, before playing. My desktop is a Sony and there was a lot of background stuff running that I did not need to play the game. When I purchased a new Windows 10 computer, and began to use this new system to play the game, all crashes ended and the game plays perfectly..

csiemers
Sergeant

Re: CTD's? I don't get it.

Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:41 pm

I find it crashes for me at the turn of the year and the turns in which France gets it 750 pounds.

Captain_Orso

Re:

Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:46 pm

Durk wrote:This might be a simple solution. I find that after about three consecutive turns I get a crash. So I exit every other turn and have had no more crashes.

This has been my experience.

I've never had an access violation when starting the game, nor from loading a saved scenario the first time.

Because I do a lot of testing, I often load different factions of the same saved scenario, making moves and saving them, sometimes changing sides through the console with 'changefaction abc' to simply save an ord file without any moves, before executing a turn. Often if I've switched sides a lot, when I execute the turn I'll get an access violation, occasionally simply when switching sides.

I also get access violations when simply loading a saved scenario and running turn after turn without switching sides; it's practically inevitable.

The workaround is to exit the game after turn execution, and then restart and reload the saved scenario.

Return to “Wars of Napoleon”